Old Apr 03, 2016, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by geostyl
Cyprus, Nicosia
Joined Jan 2016
65 Posts
Question
OPTO ESC, Pixhawk and 6S battery

Hi All,

I consider my self a very keen-to-learn newbie. However, I am not a complete newb, as I have been building foamies for a few years now, and I have built from scratch a 320, a 250 (well, bought parts based on other builts I've seen online), and I have rebuilt with new electronics my Quanum Nova after a catastrophic failure.

Now I am in the process of building my first truly DIY quad, this time a larger one for AP.

For a frame I bought myself an HMF U580 Pro, and also 30cm carbon arms to extend it

for motors the Multistar Elite 4114 330KV (bought 6 for good measure) and will run them with the Tarot 15" folding props

For ESC the ZTW Spider Series 40A OPTO (again, 6 for good measure)

For flight controller I got the Pixhawk with all the bells and whisles, probably not an original as it was quite cheap.

I also bought 2 huge 6S batteries (8k and 12k mah). E-calc is giving me some very nice flight times.

Now, to my main issue.

I just recently realised that OPTO ESCs do not have BECs. Also pixhawk runs on 5V. Will this power module do the trick? Will the one in the Pixhawk buldle in the above link suffice?

If I put that between my battery and my PDB, will I still need BEC's for the ESCs? I came across this awesome diagram. Will that work for my case which is 6S and OPTO ESCs or will I need some redundant BECs between the power module and the ESCs?

Sorry for the long thread full of links, just trying to make sure I don't burn anything as this cost me an arm and a leg.
geostyl is offline Find More Posts by geostyl
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2016, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by destey
Joined Mar 2015
441 Posts
That one has a 28v max, so at 6s you are getting near the max. I've seen modules that look like that with a 50v max for around that price. Takes some digging though, 9/10 that look like that are 28v or less.

There's also the option at $30-40, the Mauch sensor and BEC, which is a better design, failure proof and hand tested.

Either does the job, I have all 3 (28v, 50v and the mauch)

edit to answer your question about the BEC for the ESCs, you might need a second BEC for a FPV video system or anything else that runs at 12v, since the 6s would fry them.
destey is offline Find More Posts by destey
Last edited by destey; Apr 03, 2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2016, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by Oldgazer
FA3PR9WM79
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
6,184 Posts
That PM will work just fine.

The Mauch sensor is excellent and well engineered, but NOTHING is failure proof.

One final point: Calibrate the PM for voltage AND current UNDER LOAD.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/com...ission-planner
Oldgazer is offline Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Old Apr 03, 2016, 10:55 PM
Cyprus, Nicosia
Joined Jan 2016
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer View Post
... NOTHING is failure proof.
Coming from the fixed wing world, Murphy's Law seems to be quite prevalent with multirotors, failure comes where you least expect it.

After a brief search for a 50v PM I had zero luck. I'll email mauch electronics, see if they delivery to Europe, I might get a pair just to be on the safe side.

Also thanks Oldgazer for the calibration tip, I had no idea!!
Old Apr 04, 2016, 02:38 AM
Cyprus, Nicosia
Joined Jan 2016
65 Posts
OK, I just ordered the Mauch 14s BEC and 200A sensor. I know I don't need it but I like to future-proof my projects.

Christian was very prompt to reply and quite helpful. Hopefully postage to Mediterranean Europe is quick enough.