Old Mar 21, 2016, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by dooeydon
Destructive Aviator
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Feb 2015
32 Posts
Discussion
Auto launch sequence with Taranis

I am using the taranis x9d plus, x4r-sb, and a vario. Is it possible to create an auto launch sequence that would begin with arming the multirotor, flipping a switch, and have the multirotor increase throttle over 5-10 seconds or until it reaches a height of 30 feet (vario)?
This would also need a failsafe so that if the switch or throttle is moved during the sequence that the auto launch would terminate.

I have seen several auto launches using fixed wings that are designed for hand launches. I have copied some of these ideas but I'm not sure how to incorporate the vario for limiting the height. I realize that there are better ways of doing this by purchasing a RTF system but I want to know if it can be done.
dooeydon is offline Find More Posts by dooeydon
Last edited by dooeydon; Mar 22, 2016 at 09:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2016, 09:00 PM
Destructive Aviator
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Feb 2015
32 Posts
altitude hold using vario

Ok after tons of research, I have determined that this project has to split into 2 different tasks. Auto launch and Altitude hold. I am pulling information and code from multiple places, especially opentx code written specifically for DLGs and other soaring planes.

My first task was to create something similar to altitude hold.
On my specific model, I am using a 220mm multirotor with a vario.

In OpenTX
Mixer Only using throttle channel.
Ch1 THR Weight(+100%) Switch(!L1) This is the normal throttle.
Max Weight(+50%) Switch(L1) Slow(u5.0:d0) This increases throttle for up to 5 sec or until altitude is at max of 20
Max Weight(-50%) Switch(L2) Slow(u5.0:d0) This decreases throttle for up to 5 sec or until altitude is at min of 10

Logical switches Uses vario
L1 a>x Altitude 10.0 switch(SC-) Duration(0) Delay(0)
L1 a<x Altitude 20.0 switch(SC-) Duration(0) Delay(0)

For clarification, the code written above says that:
When SC- is set to middle and altitude is x<10 or x>20, the logic will operate.
When Altitude is <10 feet and switch is SC-, the throttle mix will begin increasing throttle over 5 seconds or until the altitude = 20.
When altitude is >20 feet and switch is SC-, the throttle mix will begin decreasing throttle over 5 seconds or until altitude = 10.

I set up the logic to operate when the vario altitude is less than 10 feet (increase throttle) and greater that 20 feet (decrease throttle). This was a preliminary test and was sort of successful because the multirotor did react to changes in altitude but it was a very rapid reaction that sent it over 40 feet in the air then a rapid descent that just brushed the ground. All the while, I still had to maintain pitch, roll and yaw. After this first attempt, I have modified the logical values to <16 and >20. This test will be done when there is less wind to deal with.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 09:00 PM
Destructive Aviator
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Feb 2015
32 Posts
reserved