Old Dec 26, 2015, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by ooOoo
Bank n Yanker
United States, IL, Mt Vernon
Joined Aug 2015
1,551 Posts
Discussion
How many planes have you crashed?

I watch many hours of Youtube RC plane crash videos to learn things NOT to do, and I noticed that even people who fly real well still crash. Quite a few are minor crashes when landing, but there are several that crash within a few seconds of take off and some that crash mid flight.

I'm so afraid of trying to fly any of my planes other than my Champ or Dollar Tree Delta because I'm afraid of crashing them, but I guess I need to get over that and realize that there's a good chance that it's inevitable that I'm going to crash some planes and that's all part of the game.

How many planes have you crashed? Are there any expert pilots who have never crashed?

ooOoo is online now Find More Posts by ooOoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2015, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
5,767 Posts
Crashes ? - I lost count . But the majority were Dollar Store foam planes , so no great financial loss . The thing I DO hate is a fly away , 'cause then I lose the electronics - that's happened twice .
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by Dyrden
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2015
347 Posts
Accept crashes as part of flying and you're free to do anything. Being fearless will make you better.
Dyrden is offline Find More Posts by Dyrden
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:46 PM
Find More Posts by Dyrden
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2015
347 Posts
And expert pilots who have never crashed aren't trying hard enough. I purposely see how low I can start a loop or fly inverted or drag the tail on the field. I take off from trash cans on their side or my tailgate just for the challenge. I fly through goal posts and see if I can do a loop around the horizontal cross bar. And I've destroyed a few planes and fixed them a bunch more times. Plus crashing into friends planes is always hilarious. Foam is great for all of the above!!! Go out and crash. It's fun.
Dyrden is offline Find More Posts by Dyrden
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
5,767 Posts
" If you ain't crashin' you ain't flyin' ! "
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:18 AM
Find More Posts by Tony K
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,229 Posts
All of em! Well, amost, I have a grey T28 that has never had a miss-hap. But it really doesn't have that many flights on it.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Dec 27, 2015, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
3,500 Posts
All planes have a built in expiration date. Doesn't mater how good you are, it will eventually expire. And our planes are nothing more then toys, granted some really expensive ones in some cases, but toys break. Breaking/crashing a plane gives you experience repairing them, so it's a benefit actually.

Don't know how many times I've crashed a plane, and thought it was a goner. Gathered up all the pieces, and tossed em up on a shelf. Later, after a proper period of grieving, I'll pull it down and say to myself, "hmm, this isn't that bad, I can fix this." And back to the air it goes, with a new expiration date.
On the plus side, I have a few birds that others thought they were too far gone. Pulled em out of the trash, gave em a look over and fixed them.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 27, 2015, 05:23 AM
Find More Posts by jobinseattle
Joined Nov 2014
759 Posts
I have crashed around 20. In the beginning because I was learning (which I still am) but in the last few months because I was mostly trying new things and did not have enough altitude to recover.

I have had a few fly away.

For the moment I have gotten somewhat gun shy and just want to fly without crashing so I have cut out trying to be aggressive. I have gone back to my lazy flyer the Sport Cub which is one of the easiest I think to fly that has ailerons.

There is a benefit to crashing, being ale to strip the plane of the screws, electronics, servos, etc.

I am learning that I don't need to keep up with the clubs members just develop at your own pace.

Unfortunately took me 20 planes to figure that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo View Post

I'm so afraid of trying to fly any of my planes other than my Champ or Dollar Tree Delta because I'm afraid of crashing them, but I guess I need to get over that and realize that there's a good chance that it's inevitable that I'm going to crash some planes and that's all part of the game.

I have crashed some expensive ones beyond repair and that can be a hard pill to swallow but like others have said that is part of the hobby.
jobinseattle is offline Find More Posts by jobinseattle
Last edited by jobinseattle; Dec 27, 2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by slow and low
Parkflyer
United States, IL, Eureka
Joined Dec 2014
300 Posts
How many have I crashed? ALL of them............
slow and low is offline Find More Posts by slow and low
Old Dec 27, 2015, 09:37 AM
Find More Posts by shonmac
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
1,994 Posts
The most damage my planes have been through ; is when their is a servo failure , a signal loss or brown out. The plane just stops and plummets to the ground. Usually nose diving and breaking into three or four pieces.

Very painful and upsetting when that happens because it is a helpless feeling for me .

As far as pilot error is concerned , I don't crash often. But I have hit a pole , tree , and fence before. Hit the fence with a micro Cessna when I was self teaching /learning.

A little tape and rubber cement and I continued flying.
-------------------

Hot the pole / light post on a maiden flight with my P 51 on final approach. It was a tight area in a park field too small for a 50" warbird. I was desperate for maiden flight and settled on a small field when my field of choice was undergoing maintenance.

Could not fly again that day .

-----------------
Hit a tree on final approach when I came around too wide and mis judged how much room I had. A depth perception failure. I had to climb twenty feet up, break off a branch and use it to poke the plane out of the tree.

I flew it again a few minutes later.
shonmac is online now Find More Posts by shonmac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Upgrading
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Joined Apr 2005
600 Posts
If you fly you crash, more so in the beginning. We all have. The only planes I have that I have not crashed have not been in the air. I'm still learning and crashing.
Bradley Crandall is offline Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by hard line
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Joined May 2012
2,142 Posts
I fly pretty much crash free with my "good" planes because I make it a priority. Only fly them in the best conditions, at the best locations and make only thought-out very conservative maneuvers. It's much more fun flying my other planes without all the "rules". And I crash them frequently.
hard line is offline Find More Posts by hard line
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by ooOoo
Bank n Yanker
Joined Aug 2015
1,551 Posts
It sounds like crashing is something common and I just need to accept it lol. I've crashed my Champ about 6 or 8 times learning to fly it, but there haven't been any crashes with it since then, although it is pretty difficult to crash a Champ. And one time it got stuck in a tree located in some very thick brush. I used two 10' pvc pipes taped together to poke it out, so it was about 27' up there.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by Grup
Spain, Comunidad Valenciana, València
Joined Jan 2004
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo View Post
It sounds like crashing is something common and I just need to accept it lol. I've crashed my Champ about 6 or 8 times learning to fly it, but there haven't been any crashes with it since then, although it is pretty difficult to crash a Champ. And one time it got stuck in a tree located in some very thick brush. I used two 10' pvc pipes taped together to poke it out, so it was about 27' up there.
Crashes have a different significance for different planes.
- I can't really tell much difference between a good landing and a crash with my UMX planes (T28, P51), they just seem to bounce off the ground. So far, repairs have required tape only, no gorilla glue
- The Ares 370 and HZ SuperCub are almost as resilient. Ares 370 went nose first into the ground at full speed; this took about 2 tablespoons of gorilla glue to fix
- The T28 and F4F are a bit more of an issue; T28 went nose into the ground full speed, this took some time and maybe 3x the amount of gorilla glue as the 370
- The PZ Albatros is frightening! Banged up a little, but I'm not looking forward to extensive damage
- I haven't flown the Dynam FW 190 and I'm not looking forward to a crash with it, either

The Champ is one of the best planes out there to crash. I would stick with it until crashes are uncommon

Regards
Grup is offline Find More Posts by Grup
Last edited by Grup; Dec 27, 2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by ooOoo
Bank n Yanker
Joined Aug 2015
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grup View Post
- The PZ Albatros is frightening! Banged up a little, but I'm not looking forward to extensive damage

The Champ is one of the best planes out there to crash. I would stick with it until crashes are uncommon

The Albatros is one of my favorite planes and I really hope to fly one some day. All of my Champ flights are crash-free now, and I can even fly it inverted for about 100' or so and every landing is perfect. I hand launch and belly land it though since I removed the front and rear landing gear.