cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:32 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,008 Posts
Sat here for a while trying to figure out WHAT would make this little boat look good..

As Rick pointed out, its a "cartoon" boat..so, nothing normal makes it look good..

BUT, it is watertight now, runs as it should, gotta make a mount for the little cam, and its done.
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,513 Posts
John
Considering it is a "tune" boat it looks great! Certainly the best one out there!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:19 PM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
Nice looking boat! You are going to start a new R/C boat racing niche with that thing. Heh.
MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,008 Posts
Thanks, guys..

The little boat is a lotta laughs to run, it dont break, and it sure does some REALLY stupid stuff..

I'm gettin almost 40 min run time on the one batt, thats good enough for me, plus, I have the 2nd batt if I wanna play more..the little bit more in cost to go to a bigger MA batt is always worth it.

Kinda funny I drive a Corvette, but love my Chryslers..my excuse is Vipers dont come automatic, not even paddle shift..urban driving and a stick aint workin anymore for me..But, when the Viper is made with a paddle shift..BANG ! I got one..

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:38 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,810 Posts
How dat mopar run wit no manifold?

I just put a water cooled brushless in my racin lobstah boat and boy does she scoot!

Bill
sound sailor is offline Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Take heed.

After sailing my Nirvana with the Oregon Model Yacht Club, hosts of the 2012 Victoria National Championships, it was obvious how outclassed this boat really is.

Many simple dockside adjustments, on the Nirvana, require disassembling the entire sail set and fidgeting with microscopic knots on the mast and booms. I much prefer sailing over armchair piloting, so I’ve made more minor modifications to my Nirvana.

The cutout in the mainsail, for the jib hoist, is an utter hack job and subject to tearing at the lake and during transportation. I've added clear packing tape and removed material from the sail to prevent further tearing.

If there is ever such a thing as the Nirvana III or the Nirvana II V2, Steve Chang ought to relay this information to the Chinese manufacturer, because a half-circle incorporates no abrupt edges and minimizes the possibility of tearing.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
15th Annual Victoria Nats

I’ve also noticed the Nirvana sheets starting to fray, from tension against the main and jib booms. Carbon fiber is extremely abrasive, and the Nirvana boom holes are not de-burred at the factory.

I used a pin vise and a diamond-coated (Dremel) rotary bit to chamfer the through-holes on the composite booms. This should extend the useful life of the sheets and save me money…..
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
Some nice detail work. Very good.

Somehow, I doubt the Nirvana was ever designed to race against Victorias. It was designed as a low cost entry level boat, which it does rather well in my opinion.
MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:43 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,008 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:10 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Exactly my thoughts also.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:42 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,008 Posts
So, we had a very warm non typical day, I figured I would give the little jet a good 1/2 hr run, see what its got..

Because I wanna use it as a sprint boat as much as a stream runner, I wanted to find out where the weak spots are, and see if they can be tuned out, its such a short boat.

Stuck my mini cam on it, so I could see how it handled for the boats view.

Has bad chine wobble, and, I set the jet up with about a 5 degree positive trim angle, as thats what a full size jet likes for speed..as the boat comes in a negative trim angle, carves good, but, to much hull in the water..but, if you raise the nose, the little chines on the boat are to shallow to hold it steady, so, I had to make some tiny trim tabs..which now stops the chine wobble, and allows me to tune the wetted surface as on any other boat..

The little course my friends are making is very tight, should be a lotta laughs, like slot cars..

We have 5 of these here now, should be good racing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsimms View Post
When you guys are doin repairs like this..... what materials are you using? Like West System? Or is there like a hobby version?
I use two types, both from online hobby sources. Z-poxy finishing resin, 2x 6oz bottles for most repairs, flows easily or thickened with micro balloons or wood flour, both left over from stich and glue pond boat project. Thickening adds strength and reduces flow/migration while curing or drinking a beverage when you think you're done. Second epoxy is the house brand 2x 4.5 oz bottles of 30-min stuff from tower, great planes, etc. I use that for scratch building with plywood and fg cloth, and sometimes thinned with denatured alcohol, up to 50/50 when I'm out of the Z-poxy, for coating to waterproof. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Thanks, guys..

The little boat is a lotta laughs to run, it dont break, and it sure does some REALLY stupid stuff.
Looks great!! Maybe match racing on a slalom like course, or around dock pilings?
For the last seconds sprint to the finish, do you have a nitros bottle for the Hemi, or an ejection seat for the co-pilot?
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,444 Posts
Oh that smell in here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssautter View Post
I’ve also noticed the Nirvana sheets starting to fray, from tension against the main and jib booms. Carbon fiber is extremely abrasive, and the Nirvana boom holes are not de-burred at the factory.

I used a pin vise and a diamond-coated (Dremel) rotary bit to chamfer the through-holes on the composite booms. This should extend the useful life of the sheets and save me money…..
Page 1# of this thread, Helpful Hint # 1, addresses this issue already....
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,444 Posts
Your new toy looks great John....
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:22 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009