HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:39 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
305 Posts
Discussion
Transmitter gimbal tester?

Is there a computer program available that would give graphical or even tabular data for gimbal movement?
I am curious to know the gimbal pot resolution and accuracy of my Tx.
pdooley is offline Find More Posts by pdooley
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:57 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,984 Posts
Doesn't your manufacturer publish that information? Most do.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:48 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
305 Posts
this particular Tx is a Turnigy 6x. HK isn't good with documentation. But that isn't the issue.
I'm using it for sim duty on Phoenix. Recently I discovered that an old Blade SR Tx (HP6DSM) controls the rudder on heli's much better in the sim.
Wanted to know if the setup has issues or the Turnigy Tx is just notchy.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:02 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,472 Posts
Deleted. Sorry, misunderstood the situation.

It's not too surprising that the Blade transmitter sticks do a better job. The cheaper Chinese transmitters are not noted for good sticks, whereas even the low cost ones sold by Horizon Hobby generally are pretty good in that respect. I have an HP6DSM and it feels very good.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Sep 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:24 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
305 Posts
I think the proper wording for what i was after is a dynamic bar graph. something that will show the output when the sticks are moved.
And I just found that in the calibration process in Phoenix.
Sure enough the rudder control is notchy as hell. Move the stick 1/4in and nothing, then it jumps to the proper position.

Now I'm wondering if the 9x Tx I fly with is any better.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:38 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
All you really need to do is connect a servo with a verly long arm on it to the rudder Ch. and observe how it follows the Tx. stick.

I keep a servo with a foot long arm ext. and flag around which I use for range testing .

Depending on the Transmitter the Monitor Screen should show rael time values as the sticks are moved. In addation to a bar graph many show values such as from -100 to +100.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:55 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
305 Posts
thanks for the servo idea, I will try that.
in fact, I'll try a couple servos since they could have bad spots too.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:30 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
305 Posts
Further checking reveals a lot of channel bleed with throttle and rudder in the sim. Seems when the throttle stick is moved, especially around center, the rudder output jumps around. This check was done moving the gimbal, not the stick, so there is no physical interaction.
This was observed in the Phoenix calibration menu, which shows stick outputs graphically.

However- with the 6X set up with a receiver and servos, there is no problem. The servos do not mimic the output problem in Phoenix.

So I guess the sim just doesn't like the 6X.
Tried my 9X and DX8 and they both work fine on the sim.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:54 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,416 Posts
The PPM generating software seems to be crappy on your 6X. Or it could be the circuitry carrying the PPM to the trainer port and then to the sim.

Modern 2.4GHz transmitters do not use PPM when transmitting - the signal from the stick encoder to the 2.4GHz RF circuitry is purely digital. PPM is used with the trainer port which also is used for a simulator. In your case it seems that the PPM generator or circuitry is the crappy part of the transmitter.

In any case I wouldn't expect much from a cheap transmitter. And by "cheap" I mean cheaply made, not inexpensive.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:08 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
305 Posts
Thanks for info, makes sense.
And yes, not all low price Tx's are junk. The 9X works very well with ER9X firmware and I really can't tell a difference using it vs the DX8 in the sim. The sticks are really good on both.

Ironically, I bought the 6X for sim duty, but I guess it will be a park flyer setup or gift for some kid who wants to get in the hobby.