HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2014, 09:36 AM
Pannawonica WA
Joined Aug 2007
243 Posts
Looks really nice, thanks for info, I made up a thrust tube which has fitted up nicely with around 72mm outlet plus been soldering up all the wiring and installing all in the forward nose section the last week, but progress is slow due to being very busy at work and repairs on a few other planes, hopefully will get a bit more done in the next week or so.
Cheers, good luck with the first flights.
psjdb is offline Find More Posts by psjdb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2014, 02:33 PM
Pannawonica WA
Joined Aug 2007
243 Posts
Installed most of the electrics tonight, and tested the operation.
Just a question from those who have flown skyhawks, Jepe recommended using delta wing mixing to help out the small elevators have you guys done this or found the elevators enough on their own ??.
Cheers.
Old May 05, 2014, 10:44 PM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psjdb View Post
Just a question from those who have flown skyhawks, Jepe recommended using delta wing mixing to help out the small elevators have you guys done this or found the elevators enough on their own ??.
Cheers.
This sounds like a very bad idea. The Skyhawk has a delta wing, but it is NOT a delta plane. Up aileron will not give the same response as up elevator. This "tied control" was a big fad when the first small foam jets came out. I had a Wattage F86 Sabre that had it, and it was a dog. Up elevator also gave up aileron, causing the wing to dump lift and splat during landing flare. Conversely pushing the nose down gave a "flap down" effect, boosting left and also making the wing more prone to stall. The obvious response is "then reverse the coupling"... no, don't do that neither. The elevators might be small but they have a much longer lever-arm from the CG than the ailerons. If you need more elevator effectiveness use more control throw and/or shift your CG back (a little bit at a time). Beware that CG position is critical for jets, where the lack of prop wash means you have reduced elevator effectiveness at low speed. A forward CG works OK at high speed but you'll struggle to keep the nose up at low speed.
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old May 06, 2014, 11:12 PM
Pannawonica WA
Joined Aug 2007
243 Posts
Ah that's just the answer I wanted to hear, makes it simpler for me with out all that mixing .
Cheers
Old May 11, 2014, 07:24 AM
Pannawonica WA
Joined Aug 2007
243 Posts
Kids !!! deleted my decal files so made up my own Tiki emblem showing a little more detail so here it is for anyone who wants one latter with out going through the pain I did lol.
Cheers.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:37 AM
Pannawonica WA
Joined Aug 2007
243 Posts
Some more progress, finishing the top wing, still needs clear coating though also fitted up some cannons I made up the other night !!.
getting there slowly !!.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 08:56 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
887 Posts
Looks good, I used to work on these. I did the GWS foam one a few years back in the single green all over scheme, and it was a handful to keep orientation on.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk