HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:01 PM
The Dude Abides
United States, IN, Fortville
Joined Jan 2012
100 Posts
Discussion
MultiRotor in mind need advice.

I was looking at a few kits and there are so many options that I hoped that some more experienced builders could help me out.

I need a parts list for a quad or hex coptor that can carry a DSLR (4-5lbs)

My budget is $1500-1700. I would like a RTH feature and auto land. Looked at the NAZA system and it looks nice but need more feedback.

I have flight experience just not with my own. I have been flying planes for years and I can build from scratch but I just want a proven parts list that can do the job.

I don't mind a ARF system if there is a good one with reviews but also don't mind building myself.

Rusty's frames look nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dsmithwc04 is offline Find More Posts by dsmithwc04
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:45 PM
The Dude Abides
Joined Jan 2012
100 Posts
I have a feeling I just became that guy who asked for help on a topic that has been beat to death for every noob who has entered this arena. My apologies.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:18 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I suggest you buy a micro-quad first to learn how to fly them. Something like a Blade MQx is virtually indestructible and will survive many crashes. After that, that are a number of sponsors here who would be glad to build something for you. I have the DJI Phantom with Naza flight control. It is great. But there are other flight controllers with similar features. I suggest contacting Z06 Tony, Here's his website: http://www.rc-drones.com/. Unlike many people here, I do not suggest building your own (Oh no, blasphamy!). I built several before I bought my Phantom and the learning curve is severe, you will make a lot of mistakes, waste a lot of money and time, and probably still not come out with exactly what you want. I'm much happier with my Phantom than any of the ones I built.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 16, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
I was looking at a few kits and there are so many options that I hoped that some more experienced builders could help me out.

I need a parts list for a quad or hex coptor that can carry a DSLR (4-5lbs)

My budget is $1500-1700. I would like a RTH feature and auto land. Looked at the NAZA system and it looks nice but need more feedback.

I have flight experience just not with my own. I have been flying planes for years and I can build from scratch but I just want a proven parts list that can do the job.

I don't mind a ARF system if there is a good one with reviews but also don't mind building myself.

Rusty's frames look nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
for carrying a dslr, that can get expensive. you can do it on the cheap, but usually have to get sketchy motors i wouldn't trust to carry a four figure camera to keep everything within budget. (i'm building an AP hexa and it's cost me close to 2k and i'm not even finished getting everything for it yet)

dji phantom is a great rtf. has the naza with gps so it does gps hold and RTH and stuff. will haul around a gopro and small point and shoots just fine. not sure it would be a safe one to haul a dslr with though. usually get hexas for those. (less likely to fall like a brick if one motor fails)
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:19 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,721 Posts
I think what "scared" people is that you want to carry a DSLR, and not a GoPro as most people do.

In my opinion, safely lifting 2.5kgs of expensive camera is not an easy feat.
Plus whatever the money you'll put in this project, in the end it's just a flying machine, one day or the next it will go down....
Not telling this to sabotage your project or whatever, its just I think thats why there's not many replies
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Mar 16, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:14 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,097 Posts
Yours is a relatively common request on this forum, and not really unreasonable.

People are probably balking because you have no multirotor experience and they don't want to see you trashing an expensive rig in the first couple of flights. It does happen, and it also is a reasonable concern.

If you're in this for the long haul, the path, or tao, is to build a simple quad so you know how it works, learn to fly and repair it (you'll break it at least a few times), and work your way up to the big rig with photography gear. That's what I suggest.

Every new person is told by someone to buy one of these toy quads and learn to fly it, and I guess that's OK, but it's a side road in my opinion.

As the Wiccans say "an ye harm none, do what ye will".

2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:28 AM
The Dude Abides
Joined Jan 2012
100 Posts
I see what you all are saying, but as I said in my first post I have flight experience with them and I'm pretty good. I just don't have my own to get some "seat" time. I was looking at the Bumblebee ST800 which says it has a payload capacity of up to 2.5kg and is only $680 w/o a flight control board. What about one of those with the original Bumblebee flight board or is that only good for a quad setup. Maybe the NAZA then.. Also, my DSLR is an old Minolta 5D which is only worth in the used market about $160 so no big deal if it gets damaged compaired to a Nikkon m4 or the like.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:28 AM
The Dude Abides
Joined Jan 2012
100 Posts
I will of course be using my gopro as well
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:29 AM
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Apr 2006
32 Posts
St800

Regarding ST800 , if you interested I have a Build log here ...
W1th is offline Find More Posts by W1th