HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2014, 01:16 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,407 Posts
Yay, real steam :-)

Eventually, if the cost of butane gets to you, you can convert to propane. I converted all my Accucraft , G-gauge locos to propane. Pretty simple. Let me know when you get to that stage and I'll post details. The whole conversion procedure used to be on mylargescale.com, but they suffered a few server crashes over the years, and I think they lost everything from the past, alas.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2014, 06:27 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
The Ronson cans are the most expensive way to buy butane. I found that you can buy 8oz cans in the Asian markets for about $1.00 a can, befor that I was paying $10.00 for four at Wally World or Home Hardware.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:27 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,362 Posts
Big Milestone for Preston

Preston now sits in Dave's shop for the steam engines to be installed. While the engines are being installed, we are moving to a beautiful new home on a lake. We have 100 feet of waterfront and a very nice dock. The move should take place October 15th. Preston's christening is now close at hand.

Snagboat Mike
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:48 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,362 Posts
Steam Engines Being Installed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=eLUrVIL6PYo

As noted above, the engines are being installed. The above video shows the completed engines running in their milling fixture. Once in the hull, a linear servo will be attached to the reversing gear and an oil lubricator system added. Dave will have the boat for a month and when he's finished, I'll take it to its new home on Island Lake near Shelton, WA. We are very excited to be moving in to the lake house in mid-October. There will be a christening and launch party sometime near the end of October. If any can make it, give me a shout on the forum and I'll send you particulars. Everyone is welcome. After almost 4 years and 3500 hours of build time and an additional 2 1/2 years building the steam engines, W.T. Preston will be set in the lake to get under way for the first time in less than a month. It should be a beautiful Fall setting to video the event. Thanks all for your interest in the build.

Snagboat Mike
Last edited by hookpilot; Sep 27, 2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:48 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,362 Posts
Preston Engine Install Update

Installing Preston's steam engines is a lot more complicated than slapping an electric motor or two in a model. Dave is aligning the engines so they are parallel and square with each other and the centerline of the hull, and properly aligned with the paddle wheel shaft and cranks. It is a very exacting process. If not done right, the engines will bind and not run smoothly. The photos below show this process. We had to find a datum from which to measure everything. Dave ran a snap line down the centerline of the hull. Now we have a good fixed reference point from which to align the engines and paddlewheel.

Left to do is get the engines accurately bolted in, machine the paddlewheel split bushings, rebuild the oil/water separator, machine the steam inlet and exhaust piping/flanges, make the elbow connecting the safety relief valve to the smokestack exhaust flange, install the cylinder drain valves, control servo and piping, and mount the steam oil lubricators.

Snagboat Mike
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:54 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,407 Posts
The inside of your boat is more interesting to me than the outside :-). The scale engines are very very cool.

Of course, your boat is very neat all around. What a magnificent result from all your efforts!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:55 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,362 Posts
Preston's Innards

I have a feeling Preston will make more than a few runs around the lake with her top off, just to show off the steam plant. I'm thinking a GoPro camera mounted looking aft showing the inner workings would make for interesting videos. By the way, I appreciate all the nice comments on our build. Dave is doing a fantastic job on the engines. I will be affixing a special engraved engine builder's plaque in the engine room to acknowledge his outstanding work.

It will be great fun to take the model up to Anacortes WA where the full size W.T. Preston is on display for photos. A second trip will be done to the US Army Corps of Engineers new Seattle office, Preston's ancestral home since commissioning in 1929. They are very keen to have me will the model to them.

Snagboat Mike
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:11 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,407 Posts
If they are Really Keen, you might think twice about going to sea with them: Nudge, Opps, Where did Mike go? *grin*

Oily steam from the inevitable whisps of leakage will not help your camera. I'd put it in a ziplock bag, with only the lens poking through a round hole in the bag. But I'd love to see the works while she's steaming on the water :-)