SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:54 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,124 Posts
Discussion
Piston re-setting, when is it time?

Simple enough, when is the the right time to re-set the pistion in cox engines?

How much play is too much?
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:32 PM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
Anything over .010 is time to reset back to ~.002". Depends on the RPM and nitro content you are using on the frequency of needing to reset the piston. Seems like new pistons require a reset after a few runs until the ball/socket of the piston is work hardned.
Jason_WI is offline Find More Posts by Jason_WI
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:24 AM
High on Nitro, Lithium and Air
Joined Jul 2011
74 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but what is " re-set ".I have no idea what it means, i'm very interested because I have a few Cox 049 engines.

Thanks
Joe
Joe Blow is online now Find More Posts by Joe Blow
Last edited by Joe Blow; Oct 03, 2012 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blow View Post
This may be a stupid question, but what is " re-set ".I have no idea what it means, i'm very interested because I have a few Cox 049 engines.
Joe, it is not a stupid question. You need a resetting tool see:

http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-piston-reset-tool.html

You put the piston upside down with connecting rod into the metal cup holder. Take the fluted rod, place flute end over the piston's ball joint. Give a light tap with a hammer, until the connecting rod ball end play is removed. This is called "resetting the piston socket".
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:42 AM
High on Nitro, Lithium and Air
Joined Jul 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
Joe, it is not a stupid question. You need a resetting tool see:

http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-piston-reset-tool.html

You put the piston upside down with connecting rod into the metal cup holder. Take the fluted rod, place flute end over the piston's ball joint. Give a light tap with a hammer, until the connecting rod ball end play is removed. This is called "resetting the piston socket".
Thanks for the answer, and yes I have seen this slop in the cup and ball in some of my older engines and now I know how to fix it.

Thankyou
Joe
Joe Blow is online now Find More Posts by Joe Blow
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,202 Posts
Joe, your question is an ignorant question. By asking it, you receive a cure for your ignorance. An example of successful self medication.

I rotate the crank until the piston is top dead center, then I wiggle the propeller. If I can wiggle it very much without moving the piston, I figure it is time to reset. "very much" is a matter of experience
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:46 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,304 Posts
As a side note, it is also best to rotate the fluted rod a little each time you tap the joint. The fluted rod obviously has a missing area aroung the rod and that can cause the joint to become out of round, in other words ruin the piston.

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Another side note is on occasion I've tapped it a little snug. Apparently no harm was done as after a run or two, it loosened up.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
I usually reset mine around 7pm.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:41 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
I got my reset tool some time back in the early to mid 1970's, it was an Ace R/C item, still have the tool. Now, can't remember if it was a Dale Kirn's Kirn-Kraft item. (History of Dale is at:

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/KirnDale.pdf )
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:05 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,304 Posts
I have two reset tools, one is hexigon stock with Kirn Kraft stamped on it, the other is round with no identification. I got the kirn tool back in or about 1975

George
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
I just looked into my flight box tool box. I have the round one with no ID. The ones Bernie at Cox International sells are a nicer ones, come with a cup to minimize what I gather is piston top distortion. So far I've made good with the tool itself. Do my tapping on a hard metal surface.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:59 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,304 Posts
Here are my Reset Tools... Notice that the working end of the kirn kraft tool has been reduced in diameter. This is done to protect the piston skirt from being hit by the tool if it is allowed to lean while being struck by the hammer. The piston anvil was turnned on a lathe and is used to kepp the piston from being forced out of round and it makes holding everything easier while resetting the rod.

George
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Here is my reset tool. It is not turned down like George's deluxe version and I don't have the anvil bucket, but it works.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:13 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Simple enough, when is the the right time to re-set the pistion in cox engines?

How much play is too much?
My experience and surely others is that the original Cox resetting tool is not really tht. I bought better ones forgot the name but you'll find that on ebay.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald