Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey View Post
darn control line ( i miss it)
the fun of getting dizzy lol
I love it, great fun on a fairly small budget. I only used a half full bladder yesterday, and that won't make me dizzy. The only time I really get dizzy is if I fly a bunch of inverted laps. Strange how the inner ear works, flying backwards is like when you first start learning to turn in the circle. I start feeling it after 3 or 4 laps.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,453 Posts
Get a pole trimmer for the tree and trim it. I think the prop is about right for the .051, about 18,500 rpm. It has a heavy steel piston, they don't stand up to the revs like the Norvels and the more modern stuff. Looks like a hoot.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
Get a pole trimmer for the tree and trim it. I think the prop is about right for the .051, about 18,500 rpm. It has a heavy steel piston, they don't stand up to the revs like the Norvels and the more modern stuff. Looks like a hoot.
Definitely fun to fly. I had guessed it was faster than that. But I have an eager imagination. Especially with everyone claiming their Tee Dees turn twenty something grand.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:23 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,453 Posts
Ya it is a D# on the pitch pipe. You could tell it was unloading a lot in the air. I can't check that without being inside the circle. The bigger, higher pitched props unload more in the air. Still, a 3" pitch would end up at maybe 55 mph. I didn't check your lap times, and wouldn't know without a speed chart. It looked pretty fast to me. Everyone that gets over 20,000 rpm has to reset the socket and don't go a whole lot faster. You need a stopwatch to see, but it isn't serious like Mouse Racing or anything?..
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
Ya it is a D# on the pitch pipe. You could tell it was unloading a lot in the air. I can't check that without being inside the circle. The bigger, higher pitched props unload more in the air. Still, a 3" pitch would end up at maybe 55 mph. I didn't check your lap times, and wouldn't know without a speed chart. It looked pretty fast to me. Everyone that gets over 20,000 rpm has to reset the socket and don't go a whole lot faster. You need a stopwatch to see, but it isn't serious like Mouse Racing or anything?..
I used the video to time it for two flat laps, the only consecutive low flat laps I could find before it started fuel starving. From 1:24 to 1:30 I turned two flat laps, so 3 second laps at 40' plus about 26" of my arm ~ 42'. I'll try to do the geometry figure out the speed. Or find a chart. I'm just curious now.

EDIT: so over 6 seconds it traveled 527 feet(2 laps). If I did the math right, that comes out to 59.9mph. I'll try to double check that.
I think the plane's AUW is about 7.5 ounces, 8oz with fuel.
Last edited by RknRusty; Aug 26, 2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Did the math
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,057 Posts
Every video an improvement :-)
. IF space constrained .. Plant a Tube into the ground at the centre of your space and Keep your left hand on it.
~59mph is mediocre speed.. Although you are still on too short lines.
TD's can ..Easily... hit 25K on a 5x3 COX black rubber ducky prop and 30%.
Throw away the crap props.
They are useless millstones :-).
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:41 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Well, then you won't have any problems with showing us a video of that, right?
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Every video an improvement :-)

Plant a Tube into the ground at the centre of your space

~59mph is mediocre speed.. Although you are still on too short lines.

Throw away the crap props.
They are useless millstones :-).
I'll take that as a vote of approval, thanks Bare.

I would fall over a pole in the ground and impale myself... on video, no doubt. I'll just try harder to keep an eye on my spot marker.

59 was comfortable for me, much less frantic than the previous flight on 35' lines. It's moving fast enough to be fun, so it'll do for now.

Master Airscrew props are crap? I have yet to break one. The 6x3 GF series is what I buy to cut down and round off the square tips, and they're a lot less work to balance than the Rubber Duckys. And they make my plane go. Works for me.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:08 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,057 Posts
OK.. it's your model :-).. but the rubber duckies have proven for a few decades as the best allrounder. Still are. Balancing those is a problem? wasn't in the past.
Being tough to break is No small advantage as well
Most props work acceptably well, no arguement, but some are markedly faster than others. A big deal if speed and power thru turns is important.
Try one? it 'should' tighten up those loops?
Never broken a TD crank? Can't be many left that haven't had that experience Mechanical limit is ~25k. ..God's own Tachometer Telltale :-)

PS: interesting 1/2A Combat piccies.. some. Sadly it's now only Old men and fewer each year. A Sunset sport.. sigh.
http://flyinglines.org/BG.2012.html
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Last edited by Bare; Aug 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,202 Posts
First, I an convinced that 1/2A size airplanes have to have a faster lap time than larger airplanes. Back when I was seriously flying 1/2A stunt, I would fly two or three patterns with my 1/2A and then fly the Fox 35 airplane. It was just so slow and easy to fly after flying the 1/2A. I found on flying my Jr Flite Streak on 55 ft eylet to eylet, that I was getting 3.8 sec laps. At that speed, i was doing a certain amount of herding the airplane rather than flying it. I went to 57 ft lines which got it up to 4 sec, and could fly it well enough to win at a small regional contest. Stunt guys like to talk about 5 second, more or less laps as being good.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
985 Posts
Quote:
Mechanical limit is ~25k. ..God's own Tachometer Telltale
So you've never actually tacked a TD doing 25000rpm on a 5x3 prop then?
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
I liked the OP's video. Interesting way of launching using a stooge. Never thought of that possibility for solo flying.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
I liked the OP's video. Interesting way of launching using a stooge. Never thought of that possibility for solo flying.
I get a lot of comments on that. It's a folded $5 dollar bath mat with a rubber lined bottom, folded so the rubber holds the wing. Adjust the bungee across the top to fit the angle of the wing you're sticking in it. I lay the edge of the brick on the bungee for added grip, to keep it from twisting when you walk away to the control handle. But not so tight that you stress the bellcrank pulling it out. Use a cord and a stake in the ground so you don't tip it over pulling the plane free. For lighter planes, I don't bother putting the table on top of the bar stool.

Here it is without the barstool. The bungee isn't adjusted right in this picture. I usually align it along the TE of the wing. The cord and stake don't show up in this picture. It has proven to be very safe. Good to haul outside of the shop for test running engines on planes too.

Name: Stooge.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 114.2 KB
Description: Stooge