HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHawkins View Post
looks like like I was still running the old firmware for the last few months and didn't realise as I didn't get the flashing red light on the test Mike.
Updated Tx and rx's now, couldn't work out why couldn't calibrate but I have since read no calibration on new firmware.
thanks
I'm glad you got it sorted out and updated. You will find the RSSI bug has been totally eliminated with the new Firmware and your system will work better than you ever thought possible !

The Next Generation Firmware is such a huge improvement, I strongly encourage EVERYONE to take advantage of this free upgrade.

mike
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; Yesterday at 07:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,647 Posts
The Dragon Link Next Generation Firmware is now available and was released in May 2014 !!! If your Dragon Link system shipped before May 2014, you need to update its firmware now. The Next Generation firmware is a HUGE advance in all areas of performance, Rock Solid Control, Better Stability, longer range, and most important of all, it is a huge advance in Resistance to Interference. I can not stress strongly enough how important it is to upgrade your Dragon Link system to the Next Generation Firmware ASAP. This is not just an improvement, we have taken everything we have learned over the last five years and made an entire new operating system for your Dragon Link. Updating to the Next Generation Firmware will be like getting a new system, the improvement is that dramatic. The Next Generation Firmware solves so many problems, that doing this will be very first thing we recommend when troubleshooting problems with Dragon Link from now on. The new Next Generation firmware can be flashed at home to any Version 2 system at home with the USB update device available from www.FPVPro.com If it is not broke don’t fix it: I generally agree with this statement, but this is not like a fix, this is like getting the next generation of technology, safety, and control… In this case, even if you are not having any problems with your system, it is still very much worth doing. You can download the latest Next Generation Firmware from here: http://dragonlinkrc.com/v2/download For instructions on how to update the system, see this video:
Dragon Link Firmware Update with USB device - Instructions (10 min 47 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Neville
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Just checking, and a question

I have a Dragonlink system with one receiver which has always worked fabulously well. The TX is currently installed on a Turnigy 9X transmitter.

If I understand the last few pages of this thread my transmitter is a V2, because it has a High/Low power switch. The receiver is a V2.6 (the one that came with the channels labeled the wrong way round).

I've been flying with a Taranis and an (Eagletree) Vector, which are great, and came to this thread because I'm now ready to move the Dragonlink transmitter over to the Taranis, buy some more Dragonlink receivers, and standardize my (fixed wing) planes on the Taranis/Dragonlink/Vector combination.

If I understand this thread and the recent announcements:

- My current DL V2 transmitter should be fine as is, transferred to the Taranis

- I should update the firmware on my existing DL receiver

- The only DL receivers I can buy going forward are the new 'Micro Receivers', and I can't buy them yet. When they do become available they should work with my current transmitter as it is

One thing I'm not clear on: if I choose to stick with the current 'V2' but not 'Next Generation V2' transmitter, and buy more DL receivers as I planned, what if any DL capability will I be missing when I'm using these new 'Micro Receivers'?
Neville2012 is offline Find More Posts by Neville2012
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Thanks for the report !!! We just could not be happier with the way the system is performing, it will open up a whole new world of FPV for you !!!

As for your video, a good directional antenna on the receiver will help it a lot. If it is 1.2 GHZ video, we have them on www.FPVPro.com

Mike
I'm really liking my DragonLink. On that travel I had the DL tx on low and did not loose a single not one time it was strong. I will check out your antennas.

Oh before I forget when will the micro rx come out. I have a mini 250 quad I need to put it on

Be blessed
Isaac
tntburnett is offline Find More Posts by tntburnett
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
Joined Jun 2013
336 Posts
Quick question

Does shortening dl dipole for receiver affect range at all? Wanted to shorten and crimp on a new sma for a better custom length fit . I'm also wondering how much seperation between esc and dl receiver is ideal ? Was having rssi issues and a couple failsafes close to 35 km out

Thank you
camaroguy is offline Find More Posts by camaroguy
Old Today, 12:24 AM
Australia, NSW, Moss Vale
Joined Jun 2013
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
Quick question

Does shortening dl dipole for receiver affect range at all? Wanted to shorten and crimp on a new sma for a better custom length fit . I'm also wondering how much seperation between esc and dl receiver is ideal ? Was having rssi issues and a couple failsafes close to 35 km out

Thank you
I don't think shortening the coax will be a problem. The imperative measurements are at the end where the inner core and the outer shield separate and I would not alter this end. As for separation, the further the better but another option would be to shield your ESC + wiring with copper foil and grounding to the negative on your supply. Well done on your range BTW
IamtheWalrus is offline Find More Posts by IamtheWalrus
Old Today, 12:33 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville2012 View Post
I have a Dragonlink system with one receiver which has always worked fabulously well. The TX is currently installed on a Turnigy 9X transmitter.

If I understand the last few pages of this thread my transmitter is a V2, because it has a High/Low power switch. The receiver is a V2.6 (the one that came with the channels labeled the wrong way round).

I've been flying with a Taranis and an (Eagletree) Vector, which are great, and came to this thread because I'm now ready to move the Dragonlink transmitter over to the Taranis, buy some more Dragonlink receivers, and standardize my (fixed wing) planes on the Taranis/Dragonlink/Vector combination.

If I understand this thread and the recent announcements:

- My current DL V2 transmitter should be fine as is, transferred to the Taranis

- I should update the firmware on my existing DL receiver

- The only DL receivers I can buy going forward are the new 'Micro Receivers', and I can't buy them yet. When they do become available they should work with my current transmitter as it is

One thing I'm not clear on: if I choose to stick with the current 'V2' but not 'Next Generation V2' transmitter, and buy more DL receivers as I planned, what if any DL capability will I be missing when I'm using these new 'Micro Receivers'?
The new Micro RX's are the newest ver11 FW. Your TX well have to be updated to the same version. As for that old ver2.6 RX. You may need to send it into DragonLink. Seems ver2.7 and below do not have the bootloader.
Im not 100% sure on this, but your TX may have to be sent in as well. But once it is done at DL, you'll be able to do future updates yourself.
PM Jetpilot on here, and he'll get it sorted for you.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 02:41 AM
Joined May 2012
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
The new Micro RX's are the newest ver11 FW. Your TX well have to be updated to the same version. As for that old ver2.6 RX. You may need to send it into DragonLink. Seems ver2.7 and below do not have the bootloader.
Im not 100% sure on this, but your TX may have to be sent in as well. But once it is done at DL, you'll be able to do future updates yourself.
PM Jetpilot on here, and he'll get it sorted for you.
As a note, the MicroRX's dont run the same firmware as the 12ch rx's do. They use the same NextGen RF protocol but they are not the same firmware. The MicroRx is running about 6x the processing power as the old RX, and is 32bit instead of 8bit, and has 64bit and 32bit timers for servo channels (meaning way higher resolution and no jitter on the servos), along with way way more RAM and program space for heaps of future features
Ascended is online now Find More Posts by Ascended
Old Today, 03:06 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,473 Posts
Ok good to know.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 03:40 AM
France, Pays de la Loire, Nantes
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Hello, I just received today my DL with the new micro receiver.
Do I need this article to set up the micro receiver :
USB Update for Dragon Link V2 (sold $ 18.95 in the website) or I can use any usb plug to set up the receiver ?
Pierre
PNantes44 is online now Find More Posts by PNantes44
Old Today, 05:06 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
As a note, the MicroRX's dont run the same firmware as the 12ch rx's do. They use the same NextGen RF protocol but they are not the same firmware. The MicroRx is running about 6x the processing power as the old RX, and is 32bit instead of 8bit, and has 64bit and 32bit timers for servo channels (meaning way higher resolution and no jitter on the servos), along with way way more RAM and program space for heaps of future features
Cool!
I run the 1280 optimized firmware right now. Will the micro rx's have that firmware option also?
3DMON is online now Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Today, 05:28 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNantes44 View Post
Hello, I just received today my DL with the new micro receiver.
Do I need this article to set up the micro receiver :
USB Update for Dragon Link V2 (sold $ 18.95 in the website) or I can use any usb plug to set up the receiver ?
Pierre
The Micro receiver will work perfectly the moment you receive it in the mail. No need to connect it to the computer unless you want to....

No USB updater is needed or sold for the Micro Receiver. ANY common Micro USB cable will plug into it, there are hundreds of millions of those cables all over the word used for cellphones, cameras, etc. etc.

The Micro Receiver has a lot of really neat features you can use if you connect it to your computer. So while not at all needed, you will like it if you do

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Today, 05:28 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON View Post
Cool!
I run the 1280 optimized firmware right now. Will the micro rx's have that firmware option also?
Yes, simply chose it in the menu in the USB configuration software. Its already there

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Today, 05:35 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
Quick question

Thank you
If you mean shortening the cable, no it will not have any effect on the performance of the antenna. BUT - If you don't get that connector on perfectly, it will shorten your range a lot. I recommend to just coil the extra cable rather than cut it off... You are taking a risk with what you propose.

Are you running the Next Generation Firmware ??? If not, that is your most effective solution, it will increase your range, reliability, and every other measure of performance, and its free.

Mike
Site Sponsor