HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:05 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,062 Posts
The P-47 and Yak are smaller than the 300

Thanks for the links. I looked closely at the P47 and Yak. They are smaller than the 300. They actually look closer to the PZ size. If they're Epp, that should be nice too (for those of you who have unplanned landings). At any rate, I'll keep my eyes open for Nine Eagles or Cox versions.
Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is offline Find More Posts by Swilson50
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:31 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,892 Posts
I see they run the 150ma batt as opposed to the 250ma for the Extra. Also, from what I could make out in the pics, the P47 uses a reduction drive where the Extra is direct drive.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:28 PM
Joined Aug 2006
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50 View Post

The prop pops off every time it gets near a blade of grass, but I guess that's OK. There's plenty of room for the battery, but the trap door is a bit small and you have to hold your mouth just right to get it in. This will probably be good in the winter as the battery is protected from the cooooooooooooooold, and should be able to fly longer.

All in all, it's a keeper. I think Nine Eagles has a warplane and another aeobatic plane coming out, so maybe Cox will import them. The Cox website says, they have some new planes coming!

Stan in Dodge City
I just bought one today and i am so excited to fly it. Just cant figure out how the battery is supposed to fit in the compartment. There is alot of room. Obviously greatly affecting the flight performance if not installed in the correct spot. you could fit three batterys in there with how much space it has. Thanks
rybread5520 is offline Find More Posts by rybread5520
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:46 PM
Seattle, Wa
Joined Jul 2007
28 Posts
Cox 300 Maiden

Got to maiden it a few days ago. Mine was quite tail heavy, which made for some "interesting" flying, not to mention some rather flawed landings giving me a great chance to check durability (I can vouch for the fact that it can withstand a hard nose in without damage). So, when I got home, I marked the wings about 1/3 back along the chord length and scotch taped some weight to the nose to balance it I won't fly again until the rain stops and the mud goes away; I'll report back on the repeat maiden.

So, in short the plane thus far flew poorly, but I think (hope?) it may have been due to the inappropriate CG. It had a lot of power and was very responsive to the control surfaces (I imagine it might be a great flyer when I get CG issues worked out). It had good speed and penetration, so should easily handle moderate breezes. It is very durable, both because of its light weight and good foam (and the propellor snap off feature works great). Lastly, it can be stored and transported in the box and put together on the field, which is a significant plus for me (get extra wing screws, which are #2 X 3/8"), and can be flown in a fairly small spot (I flew it on a Little League field with outfield).
banjeff is offline Find More Posts by banjeff
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:07 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,455 Posts
I am in the process of reviewing this plane right now and so far my flights have been very positive. First flight was in the street in front of my home on low rate and I kept the throttle low but safely above stall speed. Made a nice landing on pavement. Second flight I was surprised by how fast she can fly. Landing on the dirt infield she didn't like the resistence and the wheels stopped before the plane and the prop saver did its thing. The prop pops off pretty easy I've learned but so far has stayed on during all the pre-landing flying. I am able to do a lot of aerobatics. I will fly her again on my way to work and at lunch. Will be taking her to the Arizona Electric Festival and will hopefully wrap up my review by flying her there several tmes a day. Here are some pictures from this past Saturday when we had some sunshine. Michael Heer
The review is in progress and no final opinions have yet been formed.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:16 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,455 Posts
I do have one conclusion and that is: I like the radio! I have the same radio with the Revell Proto-Max and it has performed well with other radios at an indoor event. The low and high rates are real and work well with a significant change in the plane's and helicopter's handling. Range check to the extremes I would fly this plane away from me also went well. No lost of signal. This is all good because I am not aware of another radio that could be used with the plane if I didn't like the transmitter.
If anyone learns more about the motor please share. My X-ray vision is on the blink. Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Jan 25, 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,892 Posts
I bought mine hopeing I could fly it indoors but, as you say it's a little quick and will not fly slow enough. Another small quirk, maybe just me but I do have 45 yrs. of flying under my belt, It almost acts like it has a lot of expo programmed into it. Didn't get to fly it to much up here before the weather folded up on us. -30 F this morning. Looking forward to your report.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:02 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,455 Posts
Gord, I feel your cold. I lived in Minnesota for 18 years. Take care and stay warm. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:30 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjeff View Post
Got to maiden it a few days ago. Mine was quite tail heavy, which made for some "interesting" flying, not to mention some rather flawed landings giving me a great chance to check durability (I can vouch for the fact that it can withstand a hard nose in without damage). So, when I got home, I marked the wings about 1/3 back along the chord length and scotch taped some weight to the nose to balance it I won't fly again until the rain stops and the mud goes away; I'll report back on the repeat maiden.

So, in short the plane thus far flew poorly, but I think (hope?) it may have been due to the inappropriate CG. It had a lot of power and was very responsive to the control surfaces (I imagine it might be a great flyer when I get CG issues worked out). It had good speed and penetration, so should easily handle moderate breezes. It is very durable, both because of its light weight and good foam (and the propellor snap off feature works great). Lastly, it can be stored and transported in the box and put together on the field, which is a significant plus for me (get extra wing screws, which are #2 X 3/8"), and can be flown in a fairly small spot (I flew it on a Little League field with outfield).
banjeff,

Have you had any better luck flying your Extra 300?
robgau is offline Find More Posts by robgau
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:33 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybread5520 View Post
I just bought one today and i am so excited to fly it. Just cant figure out how the battery is supposed to fit in the compartment. There is alot of room. Obviously greatly affecting the flight performance if not installed in the correct spot. you could fit three batterys in there with how much space it has. Thanks
rybread,

I'm looking at buying one of these. Have you had good results with it?

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:29 AM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Partille
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
I do have one conclusion and that is: I like the radio! I have the same radio with the Revell Proto-Max and it has performed well with other radios at an indoor event. The low and high rates are real and work well with a significant change in the plane's and helicopter's handling. Range check to the extremes I would fly this plane away from me also went well. No lost of signal. This is all good because I am not aware of another radio that could be used with the plane if I didn't like the transmitter.
If anyone learns more about the motor please share. My X-ray vision is on the blink. Michael Heer
The motor is supposed to be a N60, there is some good info on this plane in the NE Xtra 300 thread, some mods and videos too. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...gles+extra+300

Tommy
jimjim06 is offline Find More Posts by jimjim06
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOJONES View Post
I was onboard until I saw nine eagles
Jimbo,

Would I be better going with a Parkzone T-28 micro over the Cox (Nine Eagles) Extra 300? I like the idea of an EPP and a pop-off prop. I have a Parkzone Citabria I've had replace shafts and props on due to some nose in crashes. Do the Nine Eagles planes have a lot of problems?

Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:49 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
I'd get a T28, but I have 2 already...Those Nine Eagle "pop-off" props collets break anyway, or the motor shaft will bend. Mine did on the Cessna. But I am still looking at buying the Extra...
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Last edited by Brent Slensker; Jan 27, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:00 PM
United States, IN, Milan
Joined Feb 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgau View Post
Jimbo,

Would I be better going with a Parkzone T-28 micro over the Cox (Nine Eagles) Extra 300? I like the idea of an EPP and a pop-off prop. I have a Parkzone Citabria I've had replace shafts and props on due to some nose in crashes. Do the Nine Eagles planes have a lot of problems?

Thanks!
In my area it is VERY hard to get support for anything Nine Eagles.

I would say you would be better off with a T-28, also pick up a prop adapter and try the GWS 5043 or 5030 prop. It will improve performance as well as help with bending shafts.
JIMBOJONES is offline Find More Posts by JIMBOJONES
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:53 AM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Partille
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker View Post
I'd get a T28, but I have 2 already...Those Nine Eagle "pop-off" props collets break anyway, or the motor shaft will bend. Mine did on the Cessna. But I am still looking at buying the Extra...
Hi Brent, I have read your comments on the NE-Cessna and they helped me stay away from it.
Even the guy in my LHS here in Thailand said the Cessna is "So-so" , but he showed me the Xtra and said it flew really well, so i thrusted him and got one, I like it!

Have managed to break one prop saver, but no broken props yet, and no bent axels, and no other damage to the plane besides some scratches, I fly mostly w/o landing gear and do belly landings.

I have no clue to the difference between the Cessans "N50" motor and the Xtras "N60", maybe the axels are different diameters?

IF you want a plane that can take on a bit windy condition, get an Xtra.

Regards / Tommy
jimjim06 is offline Find More Posts by jimjim06
Last edited by jimjim06; Jan 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Added some stuff