HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:17 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,642 Posts
Idea
3D-Delta, 3d epp KF delta jet, *VIDEO* *PLANS*

Here is something new I'm working on. The idea is a delta jet than can (hopefully) do most of the 3D moves but also, I'm hoping it will be a good outdoor/windy day flyer.

PLANS Note: reccomdended cg is 13" from the nose

KF4 plans by Davereap

3D Delta, test flying (3 min 50 sec)
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Jan 05, 2012 at 06:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:24 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
Sweet! Now stop posting and get it done!
adreher is offline Find More Posts by adreher
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:34 PM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Another good one from Lead... Keep it up !!
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:01 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,696 Posts
subscribed ... looks like this is going to be a fun plane
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 05:50 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,642 Posts
I think it will be a fun one. It was almost finished, but I'm traveling for a few more days. I'm expecting to maiden this one the middle of next week.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 06:25 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I sure like my simple delta with a rudder. No pretty yak or edge fuse, but that would just get torn up at the farm and at night as it is my fav night flier to. Dan, its a delta, you know it will fly well and it will give you the moves that the firefly Just can't quite do, huh. I am sure it will be another hit!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2085
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jun 26, 2010, 06:58 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Suggestion: Use a medium sized servo to give the motor left/right movement with the tail, to give this sweetheart some spin in flight.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:40 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
Suggestion: Use a medium sized servo to give the motor left/right movement with the tail, to give this sweetheart some spin in flight.
I experimented with tractor yaw VT on my Aquarius vs rudder. The control effect is virtually identical. Of course with both the yaw authority would be extraordinary.

I'm hoping this Delta will hover easily...it should. I'm looking forward to seeing the effect of the large profile fuse on some maneuvers.

I also think it will be floaty for indoor on a small 2s battery, but should have plenty of speed on 3s for outdoor/windy day flying.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:07 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Dan, do you think your fireflies are floaty feeling in high alpha? It seems that the more pointy the deltas are, the more the side slip and the less floaty. Just my experience as I have done both in tractor setups. More LE leads to a more floaty "feel" to me at least, and a little bluntness doesn't hurt wind penetration much.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:28 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf View Post
Dan, do you think your fireflies are floaty feeling in high alpha? It seems that the more pointy the deltas are, the more the side slip and the less floaty. Just my experience as I have done both in tractor setups. More LE leads to a more floaty "feel" to me at least, and a little bluntness doesn't hurt wind penetration much.
The FireFly can be very floaty in high apha flight; especially if the weight is kept low.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:40 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,642 Posts
Maiden flight

The maiden flight went really well; pretty much as expected. I started off in the basement with some hovering. It hovers very easily; much like the Yak55 except the roll is quicker and more responsive in hover.

Then I headed outdoors. It was a little windy and bumpy but no big deal. The DDDelta did great. No problem with the wind at all even though I was using a pretty small battery; 3s 360. All control axis have a lot of authority. Rolls are very quick. Flat rudder turns are easy and if you really crank the rudder over it looks like a dog chasing it's tail. Being a longer delta there was no pitchiness at all when going fast yet if I pulled hard elevator it lop very tight, almost like a flip rather than a loop.

It is hard to say for sure but it seems to me it has a slightly slower top end than the FireFly and also will fly slower than the FireFly. I'll have to verify this.

I am looking forward to flying indoors or in no wind conditions to really get the jet dialed in. So far it seems like it will fly the way I was expecting it to.

Auw is 202 grams without battery or paint.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:50 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,194 Posts
Great News, Dan. You've got another winner. In fact, a string of them.
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:12 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I may have to pull mine back out and put a top fuse on it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=18
Thought I had something wrong with it so I scrapped it. As in that post, turns out one of the servos was bad. I really ought to get a new turnigy 2211 and put it back together and add an inch of rudder as mine was too conservative. I also tried to mimic the airfoil with steps of the hyperflea, just smaller and single fin.

I bet your delta will look cool after you guys start on the airbrushing!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:02 AM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
wow looks good!!!ANy video?
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Jul 01, 2010, 02:34 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,474 Posts
looking forward to some video as well...
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich