BEAM E4.8 ACRO Helicopter

The new BEAM E4.8 ACRO is the 2016 version of their 480 sized helicopter.

Splash

BEAM - Beautifully Engineered Action Machine.

BEAM helicopters have been on the market for quite a while now, and they always keep the ball rolling with new releases. The new BEAM E4.8 ACRO is the 2016 version of their 480 sized helicopter. The acronym BEAM stands for "Beautifully Engineered Action Machine" and they pay close attention to detail with every part on the heli.

This newer design has a different servo block that is unconventional to the current market. They also have a new battery tray and plenty of room for your electronics. The fact that BEAM strives to think outside the box is the attraction that keeps pilots coming back.

For more information on the BEAM E4.8 Acro click here.

Specification

• Length: 705mm
  • Height: 200mm
  • Pinion Gear: 13T & 14T
  • Weight (Less Power System): 1.32 kg
  • Tail Pully: 11T
  • Belt Pully: 51T
  • Main Blade: 360mm
  • Tail Blade: 62mm

Included in the kit version.

• BEAM E480 (assembled main and tail rotors)
  • Fiberglass Painted Canopy (red/black)
  • Fiberglass Main Rotor Blades 360mm
  • Pinion Gear 13T & 14T

Old Jul 07, 2016, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by Dave778
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jun 2014
1,917 Posts
I like seeing new designs, but isn't 1.32kg a bit heavy? My X3 is around 850g (470g or 1 lb lighter), am I missing something?
Dave778 is offline Find More Posts by Dave778
Old Jul 08, 2016, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
15,328 Posts
I'm sure that the weight is a mistake in the spec.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 08, 2016, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by TheMustangOne
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2015
100 Posts
I cant get over the tray deal.....Perhaps i need some feedback from guys that use trays.....I like to go out with a bunch of packs in my pockets, and fly for about 3.5/4min and change them out and then back in the air. Maybe the occasional kneeling down to check mechanics...I want a KDS chase 360 and other helis maybe a gob 380....but this tray deal.....i keep thinking im going to have to cut straps or be limited to certain straps then tray wont go in if its slightly misaligned...i use lipos of a few slightly different sizes, how will that go...will excess strap length hurt the insert....This has added complexity im not sure i need...any ideas?
TheMustangOne is offline Find More Posts by TheMustangOne
Old Jul 08, 2016, 10:33 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
15,328 Posts
I'm not sure what you envisage the problem as being but with a tray you have two options.. Buy some extra trays and have each battery 'permanently' attached. Or do as i do and just swap the packs over onto the tray.

No big deal either way though most of these 6s '450' helis are quite tight on space so you have to be careful to get a battery that will fit.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by scanner62
Australia, VIC
Joined May 2013
459 Posts
I too, am excited to 'finally' see a 360/380 (450 stretch) come out of the Beam stable....i have been looking for this to happen for over 18 months (even if just a 'stretch kit')....now we just need the 'accessories'.....

Good to see their own blades, but i'd like to see those CF instead of FG.

New tailbox looks gr8 and the new skids are 'on trend'....don't know if the frame set is bigger as well or is it just a SE 'stretch'?.....

Spec's are light on, and I'd be interested to see if the MS & FS are 'bulkier'?

Thanks for posting...
scanner62 is offline Find More Posts by scanner62
Old Jul 11, 2016, 06:48 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
15,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner62 View Post
Good to see their own blades, but i'd like to see those CF instead of FG.
Blades appear to be CF... you can see the weave in the photos.

It would be crazy to offer FG blades on a high end heli such as this. I'd bet it's just another typo, like the weight.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 07:18 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined May 2013
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Blades appear to be CF... you can see the weave in the photos.

It would be crazy to offer FG blades on a high end heli such as this. I'd bet it's just another typo, like the weight.
You are right in that i did take that away from the site (tho, FG can be made to 'look' like CF as well), and i agree there appears to be some disbelief of the flying weight, so in that, i may be excused for giving them the benefit of the doubt they got it right concerning the blades.

Let's agree overall though, it's not a bad start....i'd like to see more 'options' available once it's up & running, similar to what i was looking for in the SE...

Wonder WHO will be the first 'retail' customer to post a build thread & flying video 'review'....

*Edit* Further site search reveals the blades are CF AND FG, depending on the page you read.

scanner62
Last edited by scanner62; Jul 11, 2016 at 07:48 AM. Reason: *Edit*
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
No newbie left behind!!
France, Aquitaine-Limousin-Poitou-Charentes, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Joined Apr 2013
6,336 Posts
I'll do a build log and review (please also include servos esc and motor, I'll provide receiver and the rest)
Btw, I thought beam was no more...
Btw#2, tail drive look awful lot like black angel.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Jul 11, 2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by rasmus600esp
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Beam blade are probably as on archon, Gryphon blades with beam name on.

But, great blades! :-)

I think the new beam looks sweet
rasmus600esp is offline Find More Posts by rasmus600esp
Old Jul 12, 2016, 07:02 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined May 2013
459 Posts
G'day Rasmus, glad you dropped in with that info., and i agree, it's a good step forward.......

Any specs for us? Like boom dimensions/main shaft dimensions/f-shaft dimensions.....etc?

Hatz should clean up and update their site, and if they don't have the product yet, get it off the page.

I really like the quality/product, but the 'management' could certainly use some more work if they wish the brand to grow...

scanner62
Old Jul 13, 2016, 06:23 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined May 2013
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
Btw, I thought beam was no more...
Btw#2, tail drive look awful lot like black angel.
1. Beam has continued to add to it's inventory/models, yet has spent little energy in continuing to 'maintain' O/S distributors...probably a product of having a very strong Asian customer base....the rest of the world is just cream in terms of 'volume'... it's the same here in Australia. No 'local' support anymore for the die-hard Beam enthusiasts.

That, and they are two years behind trend....perhaps the multi platforms now listed has kept the design team distracted???

2. I'm not familiar personally with the Black Angel (other than mates with theirs, and my readings), but i would all but guarantee the build quality of the Beam would no doubt be superior. ie; A similar design, but built better.... win, win....

scanner62
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by zdog 64
Flys Into Trees
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Jul 2010
173 Posts
always nice to see. i love my beam E4s, i still have 3 of them sitting on my shelf. i never updated them to flybarless but i must say this is tempting if i can sell the old beams i may have to get this one.

for anyone that has one, are their parts as good as the original e4 quality wise?
zdog 64 is offline Find More Posts by zdog 64
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
8,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdog 64 View Post
always nice to see. i love my beam E4s, i still have 3 of them sitting on my shelf. i never updated them to flybarless but i must say this is tempting if i can sell the old beams i may have to get this one.

for anyone that has one, are their parts as good as the original e4 quality wise?
I'm with you. I love the quality of my Beam's. I have 3 E-4's, one Advance and one S.E. NIB. Aside from my original E-4 and the NIB S.E. the other 3 were bought used or as crash jobs and I rebuilt them. Two E-4's are being setup right now as FBL. Just waiting for it to cool off a bit before they get their test flights.

The 4.8 looks great and the price isn't bad. I wish there was more info available. Still no manual online. I have no intentions nor do I have the ability to fly crazy 3D so buying an all new 6S power setup is not in the cards for me. Because of the stretch job I wonder if 3S would be working too hard for even sport flight though.......

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jul 21, 2016, 02:15 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined May 2013
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
The 4.8 looks great and the price isn't bad. I wish there was more info available. Still no manual online. I have no intentions nor do I have the ability to fly crazy 3D so buying an all new 6S power setup is not in the cards for me. Because of the stretch job I wonder if 3S would be working too hard for even sport flight though.......
Joe
The major view, as far as i can determine, is that once you get to doing a stretch of the original frame, that the blades and additional weight and added components, all go to everything working harder, and getting hotter.

It 'can' be done (and has) on 3S, but going 6S will get you 'about' the same flight times, yet longevity of cooler running components...

Besides, you can always gear up/down as required to handle the additional load (which i know some who have >325mm blades do...), and some even change their motors from high rev, to high torque fwiw....

My advice,...if you are looking to do a stretch project, use up what you have on hand that works, then try changing the gearing, and finally, once those components either fail, or, are determined not fit for purpose, outlay for a 6S conversion....

By that estimate, it NOW will be cheaper to just buy the 4.8 from the go-get, less hassles (Beam have engineered the airframe to suit,....no fiddling with COG etc, and a bigger visual presence)....but if your like me and have 3-5 models (450 size) it can work out cheaper to continue using what i have until they're all busted...currently i have 1x 3S (Advance FBL) & 1x 6S (SE) with a NIB Advance and boxes of spares.

I began to buy parts for a stretch, but may not go ahead with it now Beam have one available OEM...

Cheers