Thread Tools
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
BrightCap232 is offline
Find More Posts by BrightCap232
I've got gas
BrightCap232's Avatar
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Discussion
Landing gear

Hey guys. Looking for ideas for a better landing gear system for my 3DHS 48" Extra. I want to beef it up because the stock gear is weak. Ideas? Would retracts be an option or are they mainly for jets?
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:12 PM
rcalldaylong is offline
Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Dude, I do fly all day long!
rcalldaylong's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyers View Post
Hey guys. Looking for ideas for a better landing gear system for my 3DHS 48" Extra. I want to beef it up because the stock gear is weak. Ideas? Would retracts be an option or are they mainly for jets?
hmmmm....never thought about retracts on an extra. I think retracts only make sense when drag is a big factor. Most peopel aren't flying Extras for their top speed, but more for pattern/3D flying sort of things, which drag isn't that big of a deal.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:47 PM
ChillPhatCat is offline
Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
AMA 537620
ChillPhatCat's Avatar
United States, NY, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2008
5,953 Posts
If you're looking to beef up the landing gear, that is exactly the opposite direction you want to go in. You need stronger fixed gear, either with stronger struts or you need to beef up the mounting. What makes you think they need to be beefed up? Has it broken?

Also, no Extra 260/300/330 has ever had retractable landing gear, it's just not designed to accommodate them and there is no reason to add them because of the added weight. To answer your question though, when it comes to scale planes, retracts are mainly for models of full scale planes that have retracts. In full scale, they usually put retracts on planes that have a cruise speed of more than about 175 MPH.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:29 AM
BrightCap232 is offline
Find More Posts by BrightCap232
I've got gas
BrightCap232's Avatar
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
If you're looking to beef up the landing gear, that is exactly the opposite direction you want to go in. You need stronger fixed gear, either with stronger struts or you need to beef up the mounting. What makes you think they need to be beefed up? Has it broken?

Also, no Extra 260/300/330 has ever had retractable landing gear, it's just not designed to accommodate them and there is no reason to add them because of the added weight. To answer your question though, when it comes to scale planes, retracts are mainly for models of full scale planes that have retracts. In full scale, they usually put retracts on planes that have a cruise speed of more than about 175 MPH.
After making the post I figured retracts werent going to be an option. The gear is very simple (and should be IMO) It's just a piece of round spring steel (probably 3/32") that is wedged in a slot underneath the plane. If I have anything less than an absolute perfect landing, it will completely collapse. I just find it annoying to have to re-shape it. I can take a regular style gear and somehow box it in and maybe get different wheels/tires as these are the thin foam kind that doesnt absorb much of the impact when landing.

Wheels - http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-EPP-Ex...s_p_16115.html
Gear not listed but i'm sure you know what I mean.
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Last edited by BrightCap232; Jun 13, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:30 AM
ChillPhatCat is offline
Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
AMA 537620
ChillPhatCat's Avatar
United States, NY, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2008
5,953 Posts
Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about now, I had the same problem with my 36" Arc-tech CAP, the gear simply couldn't support the plane. I upgraded to a single piece aluminum gear sized appropriately for the plane. I took a 1/4" plywood plate and glued it in flush with the bottom of the fuse just in front of the slot for the original gear with triangle stock for support and bolted the gear to the plate with 4-40 bolts and blind nuts... it can support three times it's weight now. I'd take pics if the plane was with me, but I'm in the middle of a move and it's 2 hours away.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
xrx1113 is offline
Find More Posts by xrx1113
Registered User
xrx1113's Avatar
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
902 Posts
Take it off and just hand launch it , with a nice belly landing ... end of problem.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:51 AM
BrightCap232 is offline
Find More Posts by BrightCap232
I've got gas
BrightCap232's Avatar
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about now, I had the same problem with my 36" Arc-tech CAP, the gear simply couldn't support the plane. I upgraded to a single piece aluminum gear sized appropriately for the plane. I took a 1/4" plywood plate and glued it in flush with the bottom of the fuse just in front of the slot for the original gear with triangle stock for support and bolted the gear to the plate with 4-40 bolts and blind nuts... it can support three times it's weight now. I'd take pics if the plane was with me, but I'm in the middle of a move and it's 2 hours away.
Ya that's what's gonna have to be done. I'll have to go to my LHS and pick up some 1/4" ply and bolt the frame of the gear to the ply. Maybe see if they have some bigger wheels too. Forgot to mention its the 48" EPP/balsa Extra 330SC
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
minivation is offline
Find More Posts by minivation
Professional tree finder
minivation's Avatar
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about now, I had the same problem with my 36" Arc-tech CAP, the gear simply couldn't support the plane. I upgraded to a single piece aluminum gear sized appropriately for the plane. I took a 1/4" plywood plate and glued it in flush with the bottom of the fuse just in front of the slot for the original gear with triangle stock for support and bolted the gear to the plate with 4-40 bolts and blind nuts... it can support three times it's weight now. I'd take pics if the plane was with me, but I'm in the middle of a move and it's 2 hours away.
Good call.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
Dereck is offline
Find More Posts by Dereck
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
See Cat's route above. Too many models, especially readymades, use Liteply in the landing gear mounts and the stuff just isn't really up to the stress.

If you looked over the design of any full sized aircraft's undercarriage, you'd find the stuff is built way heftier than the rest of the aircraft. It's only stressed out once per landing, but if it fails, a day is ruined...

My favourite is a 1/8" Birch ply fuselage bottom plat a little longer than the footprint of the UC and reinforced to the inner fuselage faces with 1" x 1" alloy 'L' section bought from a local big box hardware store a few years back. 2" to 3" long will do it, dependent on the shape of the model. There's a role here for minimal epoxy glue and lots of clamps - all masses of epoxy does is up the weight.

Bolts - steel, 4-40, T nuts epoxied upside-down to the alloy L section. If the UC gets torn off, there's usually not much else left

UC - kits and BARFs are renowned for having weak, easily bent UC. That's because they are thus cheap and easy to make... Best alloy UC I've seen, plus you can get whatever shape/size you need, comes from www.tntlandinggear.com

You put your required dimensions in a form, they send you a quote. If you like it, you pay up. Always had good service and their gear is superb.

Whatever, it pays to sort your UC out. Nothing will ruin a great Sunday than sitting looking at your model 'here' and its UC 'over there' after the first flight

Hope that helps

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review X468 Flame Gear - Quad/Hex Camera Mount and Landing Gear cdi3d Aerial Photography 15 Oct 07, 2012 08:57 AM
Discussion A "no landing gear needed" recommendadtion, good for grass landing plane. Dr.JJ Electric Plane Talk 21 Mar 23, 2012 04:28 PM
Discussion SuperCub belly landing-no landing gear joshgfeller Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 9 Jan 13, 2012 11:32 AM
Sold NEW Landing Gear Door Sequencer and Landing Gear Control Module Kevin Greene Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 27, 2011 07:12 PM
Discussion To landing gear, or not to landing gear..that is the question. kieran142 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 8 May 09, 2011 07:59 AM