9,090 Posts
I do have the pitot tube
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:56 PM
United States, CA, Salinas
Joined Nov 2011
153 Posts
Ah. In that case, check the pitot tube alignment and make sure it faces the relative airflow dead-on..the airframe might not be level at a level-flight attitude, so you can't use the airframe centerline as a reference for aligning the tube. As I recall, someone else discovered aiming the pitot tube downward 5 degrees resulted in a much more accurate indication, although I also recall that being on a flying-wing platform.
n5iln is offline Find More Posts by n5iln
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
913 Posts
I more issue with my OSD Pro, help please

I finally got my Guardian working nicely on my Skywalker, RTH works too. The only issue is when the Skywalker is coming home (RTH) and it starts its descent from RTH altitude to home altitude. The problem is the OSD Pro pulls the power to idle as it descends (in this case from 400 feet to 300 feet). The airplane slows to below stall speed and the Guardian is killing itself trying to keep the wings level

How do I get a more controlled descent?? THANKS
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Old Dec 17, 2011, 04:44 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
I finally got my Guardian working nicely on my Skywalker, RTH works too. The only issue is when the Skywalker is coming home (RTH) and it starts its descent from RTH altitude to home altitude. The problem is the OSD Pro pulls the power to idle as it descends (in this case from 400 feet to 300 feet). The airplane slows to below stall speed and the Guardian is killing itself trying to keep the wings level

How do I get a more controlled descent?? THANKS
hi,

1. make sure that the sw flies well without guardian stabilisation!
the sw should do a fine gliding and moderate climbout at full throttle. without the need of trimming on the rc.

2. "level" the ahi (guardian) on the workbench. y-axis level at 0°, x-axis measured on the elevator should be -2 to -4° (depends where your cog is). -2 means, that the elevator-front is lower than the aft.
if then the glidingspeed is too slow , you have to increase this value (eg. from -3 to -2).

i use -2 for a cog at 25mm behind servo-cable ... gliding speed at 45 km/h

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi,

1. make sure that the sw flies well without guardian stabilisation!
the sw should do a fine gliding and moderate climbout at full throttle. without the need of trimming on the rc.

2. "level" the ahi (guardian) on the workbench. y-axis level at 0°, x-axis measured on the elevator should be -2 to -4° (depends where your cog is). -2 means, that the elevator-front is lower than the aft.
if then the glidingspeed is too slow , you have to increase this value (eg. from -3 to -2).

i use -2 for a cog at 25mm behind servo-cable ... gliding speed at 45 km/h

cheers Thomas
Thanks for the reply Thomas. I have my CG 25mm behind the servo wire channel. While this CG position works great on my other V5 Skywalker with EPO canopy, this CG position is too far aft for my V4 Skywalker with a flat faced GoPro on the canopy area (the Skywalker that I have the ETOSD on and am having control problems that I described). When I fly my V5 with canopy and then fly the other V4 Skywalker, the difference is night and day. You can tell that the GoPro on the V4 is making a mess of the aerodynamics and the aft CG plus the flat face of the GoPro is making the V4 Skywalker squat instead of letting the nose fall. I am in the process of moving the CG forward on the V4 GoPro Skywalker back to the servo wire channel. I'll fly tomorrow or Monday and report back. Cheers
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:10 PM
milwaukee wi usa
Joined Nov 2000
200 Posts
level zero noob question alert. Audio Connections on ET OSD PRO PKG

Audio Connections on ET OSD PRO PKG to Advanced FPV Stater Pkg

im just starting to set up an eagletree osd pro w/gps to my rmrc system.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=279
everything seems to be working properly except for the camera's mic. (no sound!). with the RMRC system, the audio only has one wire (the audio signal) in its futaba connector...which plugs into the AUDIO IN of the OSD PRO.
first question.....do i need to also wire a ground (and/or power) into this futaba connector??
and regarding the AUDIO OUT. there are 3 wires... ground, power, signal. looking at the instructions (which is confusing to a FPV noob as i am)...they do not show a red wire (power) in their diagram. my connector has all 3 .... which is plugged into the OSD audio out. sooooooo...am i screwing up??? please advise!!!
thank you
rbtgold is offline Find More Posts by rbtgold
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:10 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Thomas. I have my CG 25mm behind the servo wire channel. While this CG position works great on my other V5 Skywalker with EPO canopy, this CG position is too far aft for my V4 Skywalker with a flat faced GoPro on the canopy area (the Skywalker that I have the ETOSD on and am having control problems that I described). When I fly my V5 with canopy and then fly the other V4 Skywalker, the difference is night and day. You can tell that the GoPro on the V4 is making a mess of the aerodynamics and the aft CG plus the flat face of the GoPro is making the V4 Skywalker squat instead of letting the nose fall. I am in the process of moving the CG forward on the V4 GoPro Skywalker back to the servo wire channel. I'll fly tomorrow or Monday and report back. Cheers
hi,
another possibility to tune ... lower the ahi until the gliding angle (or gliding speed) is o.k.
this can be done editing the settings-file
look http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1314

cheers Thomas

edit: i use this method to correct a different drag of the wings caused of a second cam mounted on one wing.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:19 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtgold View Post
Audio Connections on ET OSD PRO PKG to Advanced FPV Stater Pkg

im just starting to set up an eagletree osd pro w/gps to my rmrc system.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=279
everything seems to be working properly except for the camera's mic. (no sound!). with the RMRC system, the audio only has one wire (the audio signal) in its futaba connector...which plugs into the AUDIO IN of the OSD PRO.
first question.....do i need to also wire a ground (and/or power) into this futaba connector??
and regarding the AUDIO OUT. there are 3 wires... ground, power, signal. looking at the instructions (which is confusing to a FPV noob as i am)...they do not show a red wire (power) in their diagram. my connector has all 3 .... which is plugged into the OSD audio out. sooooooo...am i screwing up??? please advise!!!
thank you
hi,
for video or audio the power is connectect between in and out thru the osd.
but itīs not connectect between video and audio.

make sure, that you have the correct voltage for audio on one of the power-pins .... i doubt that your power on audio may be a output.
if you canīt measure a voltage on the aud.power you have to support the correct voltage on your free pins on audio in.

cheers Thomas
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:54 AM
Joined Aug 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi,
another possibility to tune ... lower the ahi until the gliding angle (or gliding speed) is o.k.
this can be done editing the settings-file
look http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1314

cheers Thomas

edit: i use this method to correct a different drag of the wings caused of a second cam mounted on one wing.
So the OSD will reference the AHI for descent?? I didn't know that, thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:23 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
So the OSD will reference the AHI for descent?? I didn't know that, thanks.
hi,
i donīt know exactly how the software works
but: the "level" teached in during "reset pitch and roll" are this values ... changing influences the position of the ahi on the screens and the level to which the stabilisation will correct the plane.

cheers Thomas
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:34 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
I posted this over in the Guradian thread as well, can someone please give me some pointers what to change?

I need some help on 2 things please, sorry no vid, forgot to record..

Airframe is a GWS Slow Stick, elevator/rudder, Main gain set on Guardian set to 6, all other setting on defaults.

1. When I hit RTH (Carlyle Method) the plane makes a nice quick trun and heads home, problem is sometime it goes past home and heads into a direction and doesn't seem to stop, haven't left it till it turns yet, I get to scared and turn of RTH. What do I set to change that, home radius maybe? This is without any wind.

2. See attached amps log, it pulses the throttle alot at the RTH altitude, is that normal or can I change that as well?

Thanks!
Dion
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:57 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
I posted this over in the Guradian thread as well, can someone please give me some pointers what to change?

I need some help on 2 things please, sorry no vid, forgot to record..

Airframe is a GWS Slow Stick, elevator/rudder, Main gain set on Guardian set to 6, all other setting on defaults.

1. When I hit RTH (Carlyle Method) the plane makes a nice quick trun and heads home, problem is sometime it goes past home and heads into a direction and doesn't seem to stop, haven't left it till it turns yet, I get to scared and turn of RTH. What do I set to change that, home radius maybe? This is without any wind.

2. See attached amps log, it pulses the throttle alot at the RTH altitude, is that normal or can I change that as well?

Thanks!
Dion

No, not home radius.

If you get your home radius too small, then the plane will fly in, and out of the home radius while circling.

This may be a problem if your RTH, and Home altitudes differ.

I would look at "Turn Derivative Gain"

in the Safety configuration Menu.

The plane is given a target. It starts working on a solution for that target. The derivative gain defines how long it takes before it sees an error in its solution.

Too low of a derivative gain and it will never see an error message. I don't know what will happen with too high of a derivative gain. I would assume that it would tighten the turns around the home position.

If your plane is flying past home and doesn't want to turn, then I would start Increasing the Turn Derivative Gain until it responds and circles around home.

-Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:01 PM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
Ok cool thanks Mike, will give that a shot!

And the motor "Pulsing" at RTH hight, is that normal?

Dion
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:17 PM
Romania,Est Europe
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
If anyone has big difference between aerodynamic and GPS speed (flying horizontally) with 10 satellites check the connection between pitot and silicone tube, might be loose, the total pressure one...
mamut is offline Find More Posts by mamut
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:47 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
Ok cool thanks Mike, will give that a shot!

And the motor "Pulsing" at RTH hight, is that normal?

Dion
hi,

the osd tries to hold the hight. the "learned" throttle position for level flight is used for this.
if your throttle was too high during the rc-wizzard the plane will do a climb ... then the osd reduces throttle to sink until the plane is too low ....

try to reduce the throttle during the wizzard an make a testflight.

cheers Thomas