HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2006, 07:03 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Discussion
What kinda stuff have you DROPPED from your RC plane?

I am trying to come up with some cool stuff to drop from my plane. I have been messing around with bomb bay doors, to carry on the Slow Stick and I also recently picked up a Aerial Drop Module for my Aerobird Challenger. Here are a couple of things that I plan on releasing into the atmosphere:

Streamer-target: A length of crepe paper (or even toilet paper) with a small weight at one end should make for a cool, slow moding target for my Slowstick/Slo V flying buddies to chop up on the way down. Probably harder than it sounds... If it ends up in a tree, you've got some early Halloween decorations. Niiice.

Gliders: I don't have the spare gear to build a guided glider yet but a free flight plane would still be cool. I want to see how big of a glider the ABC can haul... a simple loop that runs parallel to the wings and a fuse brace under the ABC's tail boom should do the trick for holding a big plane in place. Do you think it woul haul one of those 3' wingspan "chucky" gliders from Wal-Mart?

Transmitter camera with a parachute! I have gotten a lot of use out of my little 2.4 GHz cam... so maybe its time to take a chance like this. It would be cool to aim it so that you could see it fall away from the plane, then flip over and point at the ground as the paracute unrolls..

Bombs! (not explosive!) I think I saw this somewhere... a partially cracked pingpong ball full of flour or baby powder that would bust open on impact. I can't see how this would work with the HZ Aerial Drop module though.

Any other ideas?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2006, 07:16 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Paintballs!
I personally haven't done it but there is a threrad here involving guys dropping regular paint balls from their slowsticks. They used a tube and a servo. It worked really well; there was a video posted in the thread that showed a dive bombing slowstick splattering half a raod with paint. The trick was to dive it to get the airspeed up so the balls would be less likley to not break.
Personally, Iv'e always wanted to put the guts of a 6mm airsoft gun in a plane and do some strafing. You can get 6mm paintballs for the guns too. That would be really fun, although I can see some possible saftey issues, even though the only real danger thr gun poses is to your eyes.
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old May 10, 2006, 07:55 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
I had my Wingo rigged up with a servo underneath that pulled a music wire out of a hole releasing the parachute man or glider that was trapped under it. Great fun for the kids to run after the item and try to catch it before it hits the ground.
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old May 10, 2006, 08:13 PM
Plane & Computer crasher
So. Cal.
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
I once dropped the battery pack off the bottom of my Slow Stick in a hard pull up. Does that count?

The cool part was watching my plane flutter and tumble down from about 200' and hit the ground with only a bent tail wheel.

Dart
ElectroLawndart is offline Find More Posts by ElectroLawndart
Old May 11, 2006, 12:16 AM
Gravity is my downfall
El Mirage, Az.
Joined Oct 2003
733 Posts
Yeah, my battery pack and one time my Himax brushless motor ad esc. (Don't even ask).
Ken
Tailspin Ken is offline Find More Posts by Tailspin Ken
Old May 11, 2006, 03:24 AM
Seattle ish
Joined May 2003
164 Posts
I turned my 3dx into a m and m bomber at my kids birthday party.
One mini pack under each wing controlled by the rudder servo.
Unfortunatly, on about my 20th bombing run I had to do a forced landing before dropping my payload. It was kind of like Lindbergh landing in Paris. At least the electronic parts survived.

cb
oxcart400 is offline Find More Posts by oxcart400
Old May 11, 2006, 08:47 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
955 Posts
Lotsa' stuff. 6 little parachute men at once, one big parachute man, a mini nerf football with a "tail" on it - acts as a GREAT bomb. Plastic Easter eggs with powder in them, small water ballons. All from a Slowstick.
There are a million ways to make a drop mechanism - I can post pics of mine if you want.

The key is to use your imagination on what to drop!

And do it safely.
craab is online now Find More Posts by craab
Old May 11, 2006, 12:48 PM
iae
Sweden
Joined May 2005
111 Posts
The only things I ever dropped was stuff coming of unintentionally.
Props, hatches, flour and such.
But I have considered eggs (I like the mess they make).
Coconuts could also be carried...
tigrr is offline Find More Posts by tigrr
Old May 11, 2006, 02:17 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Feb 2006
1,000 Posts
Props
Doc Holliday is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holliday
Old May 11, 2006, 04:24 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Eggs are spectacular!! So are flower bombs. Also dropped parachutes and free flight gliders..the gliders have a tendency to fly away in thermals.
Troy is online now Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2006, 04:36 PM
Plane & Computer crasher
So. Cal.
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrr
Coconuts could also be carried...
Is that with an African or European Parkflyer? <===Monty Python reference

Dart
Old May 11, 2006, 04:58 PM
Encinitas
Joined Jan 2006
120 Posts
Now that I am all excited to start bombing things with stuff... can you post some links to a bomb drop module?
wigeon is offline Find More Posts by wigeon
Old May 11, 2006, 07:31 PM
Plane & Computer crasher
So. Cal.
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigeon
Now that I am all excited to start bombing things with stuff... can you post some links to a bomb drop module?
Same here. Maybe I'll turn my SlowStick into a StukaStick, dive brakes and all!

Dart
Old May 11, 2006, 09:07 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,414 Posts
I dropped a p51 glider, only about a foot wingspan from my SS. I set the gliders rudder so it would do gentle circles on its way down. Pretty fun to chase it on its way down.

Also did pingpong balls tapped to TP tubes with fins, fun stuff.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old May 12, 2006, 08:05 AM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
Gets me thinking about what I can do with my EZ-400!
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound