HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,655 Posts
Discussion
new begining

Tomorrow starts what will be a new chapter in my life. That will include more model builds, but that is not what this is about. As on this forum some know , this past spring I was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer ( soft tissue tumor {sarcoma} inside of the bone) in my left arm/shoulder. I have been through chemo ( killed the tumor ) and a month of daily radiation ( was hoping for super powers from radiation). I won't even talk about how much blood was donated to the medical vampires in the process. But I survived it all including the hair loss, weight fluxuation, and fatigue. Even made the regatta and manage the tug event.
Now the next step is surgery. I go in tomorrow,10/23/2014, to have the infected bone/tumor removed. Will be getting a metal rod to replace what bone is being removed. the good news is that I get to keep my arm. So once recovery is well underway and able to do things, there will be more model projects to share. They will more than likely be on the small size until I regain strength in that arm. So I will be back, good or bad depending on how others view it, and be following your progress on boats and events.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,047 Posts
Hi Keith,

That's good news!
I hope your recovery will be speedy!

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,338 Posts
+1

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,594 Posts
Best wishes for a smooth procedure and rapid recovery. Your positive attitude is key to your success so far. Keep it up.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
Crackin' Claws
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Oct 2012
1,110 Posts
All the best . . .
STONECRAB is online now Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
Edmonds, Wa.
Joined Mar 2007
109 Posts
We will all be pulling for you and hope to see you back in the fold real soon. Keep us informed of your progress.
Ron
Dr. Ron is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Ron
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,606 Posts
Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Phil
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
344 Posts
Keith wishing you the best of luck.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is online now Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
+1

Don
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,784 Posts
KEITH- Speaking as someone who has just come thru surgery for the big “C”, I know what you are talking about. I have always felt that there is no benefit for asking “why me” but rather “OK what’s next”. I think having a model waiting in the wings is the best drug or therapy there is, in that once to dive in to the build, the only thing that matters is what you have to due next on the model.

Hang in there and enjoy life. Every day you wake up and don’t have a GRUB for a next door neighbor, is a good day.

Be seeing you here on the forums.
Rich Koll (frankg)
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
864 Posts
Hang in there you'll get through it.

Having gone through surgery for cancer my self, if wasn't pleasant but recovery wasn't too long. Radiation was no big deal. My radiologist specifically mentioned that I would not glow in the dark after.

I did have my arm broken for me when someone drove into me at 90% head on. At least I got stopped before she hit me and minimized the impact. So far that was the worst for me. My radius was broken into several pieces just above the wrist. I now have a metal plate and some screws for life. The worst part about that was the long recovery, waiting for the cast to come off. Physical therapy after was OK. It was my right arm and yes I'm right handed. Couldn't even open a pop bottle. But I did regain strength and coordination in my arm and hand.

That all happened over a year ago, I don't even notice it now. You do get back to being yourself. The more you work at it the faster you regain strength and coordination. It's not hard to do just time consuming.

Good luck and best wishes.
Apismelifera is online now Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Today, 01:00 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,655 Posts
Thank you all for the well wishes. I will survive and live to enjoy more projects and events in the future. Just going to take a break for a bit and beat cancer. And for those that have survived as well, congratulations. No easy days, but there is always a challenge in life and this is the next one. Now to go get this done and LIVE!!!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Today, 04:11 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S View Post
Even made the regatta and manage the tug event.
Hardcore dude!

You're in our prayers Keith!
capntroy is online now Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Today, 04:13 AM
Joined Jun 2013
1 Posts
best wishes for you, good luck!
sherryxian is offline Find More Posts by sherryxian
Old Today, 09:25 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,116 Posts
Great attitude. Best wishes for speedy recovery.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob