SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:05 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,967 Posts
Cool
MicroFPV: UMX Sbach & Beast

What I like most in FPV, is piloting the plane from the cockpit point of view. I use a camera mount on a servo for panning and with a gyro mount on my headset (head tracker), I simply turn my head to look on the side. I like also to see a dashboard or anything that help to give the feeling I fly a real plane. I already own three FPV micro-planes, but the UMX are half the weight of them.
I installed the same video setup in the Sbach and the Beast. I made a more complex cockpit with the Sbach and kept it simple with the Beast. I will do classic aerobatic with them, nothing 3D. I fly 99% of the time FPV, so take-off to landing will be with the video headset and the also the maiden flight
First look at the two small videos. I made them in the backyard of my house to give me an idea how it will appear at the maiden flight. The picture in my video headset is much better compare to what you will see, due to my recorder and compression when uploading. Also the recorder is mount on a tripod behind me, so some interference appear sometime because my body is locate between the plane video Tx and the Rx mount on the tripod.

Micro FPV Beast AS3X (4 min 6 sec)

MicroFPV Sbach (2 min 32 sec)
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Last edited by VRflyer; Nov 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:05 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,967 Posts
I will not go too much in detail, I will receive a Mig-15 in a week or two and will do a build thread with all details.
I like to work with tiny electronic stuff. I do everything to reduce weight so the cam has been open and modified, mic is now locate with the 5.8G Tx and a voltage regulator was added. The video system can be power from one 1S to 3S lipo. It is connecting to the plane lipo.
The camera is glue to a servo modified to turn 180deg (depending on the servo use). Because they are locate in the cockpit, I must install the video Tx and regulator in front of the wing and move forward the main lipo when possible to kept the CG right.
The cameras I use give an very good quality picture, but the condition of lightning must be right. Best will be to fly when the sun will be high in the sky. Under cloud, or when the sun is low, the ground appears very dark.
With the Sbach, I decided to leave the battery inside permanently and use fast charger to charge the Hyperion lipo in 20min with a connector under the plane. With the motor, battery and video Tx in front, the fuselage is too weak, I prefer hold the hatch with double-side tape. I will do differently with my AS3X Sbach after the mod I saw on the forum. About the Orange servos in the Sbach, one ailerons servo became defective by my fault so I replace the two ailerons servos, and later I replaced also the two remaining servos. I cannot do that with AS3X planes.
The Sbach weight 84gr and the Beast 84.1gr.
Last edited by VRflyer; Sep 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:15 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,834 Posts
This is cool be why didn't you fly them?
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:53 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
You are using two transmitters/receivers?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:05 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
This is cool be why didn't you fly them?
I just finish building it. The maiden flight will be perhaps today or tomorrow
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
You are using two transmitters/receivers?

I use only one Spektrum radio, the camera servo is plug in the fifth channel of the Brick onboard the plane. The headtracker is plug in the buddy port of my Futaba radio.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:49 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,967 Posts
Maiden flight

Maiden flight done for both planes. The Beast fly very well but it is underpower.
The Sbach have an oversensitive elevator, I will move the CG forward.

I will upload the maiden flight of the Beast tomorrow
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:11 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer View Post
I use only one Spektrum radio, the camera servo is plug in the fifth channel of the Brick onboard the plane. The headtracker is plug in the buddy port of my Futaba radio.
Still a bit confusing here... You use only one Spektrum radio but you have the HT plugged into your Futaba radio... I guess you're simply using a Futaba radio with a Spektrum module? OK, it's the fourth picture (Sbach) that confused me and that's why I asked the question.... Only 3 servos plugged in, and a very strange board (your VTX???) with a whole bunch of extra servo wiring going there... Since it doesn't look like a VTX, what is that board on the left side of the Spektrum receiver?

Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer View Post
Maiden flight done for both planes. The Beast fly very well but it is underpower.
The Sbach have an oversensitive elevator, I will move the CG forward.

I will upload the maiden flight of the Beast tomorrow
Looking forward to see your AMAZING cockpits from the camera view!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,967 Posts
Quote:
what is that board on the left side of the Spektrum receiver?
It's a gyro for my ailerons.

YesI use Spektrum module im my Futaba radio. I plug the Headtrccker in the buddy port

You see three servos, one for elevator, one for rudder and the third is for the moving stick in the cockpit. It is wire at the aileron gyro input, so it move only when I move the stick on my radio, but do not move when the aileron gyro do correction.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:56 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Looking forward to see your AMAZING cockpits from the camera view!
Sadly for the Sbach the view appear lightly blurry. I must do a compromise while adjusting the lens focus, if I want to have clear view at infinity, the dashboard is completly out of focus, if I got the dashboard at focus, the outside is blurry.

With the Beast, the focus is adjust for infinity and the dashboard is completly out of focus, but it is ok like this
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Can you post what FPV system you are using and link(s) to get the parts???

THANKS!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:37 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
779 Posts
Great work VRflyer!!! Cant wait to see some video from the flights! nice detail on the Beast cockpit too!
lord chris is online now Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Can you post what FPV system you are using and link(s) to get the parts???

THANKS!!!

Kevin
Thanks Lord

Kevin, I use a 200mW tx 5.8G from Foxtech with a 12V cam with 90 deg fov, the cam as been open to remove the voltage reg and mic, it is power at 3.3V now, same as the 5.8G Tx. I use a anyvolt micro with no capacitor to power the cam/tx from the main lipo of the plane.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/fh10c-v9-12v-ntsc-p-532.html
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/tx5823-200...ers-p-272.html
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/.../anyvolt-micro
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,967 Posts
Today I made severals flights.

I got very minor lines in the pictures when tested on the bench. But with the sky on background they appear more, and worst I discover that after 2 min of flying, more and more lines appear on the video. I'm using anyvolt micro voltage regulator, it suppose to need only 2.6V min at input, I was not expecting having this problem.

I'm waiting for a Pululu reg and I got another idea.

Also the second receiver use for recording is a new model and I got much more interference in the video recorded compare to what I've seen in my headset. I will not edit the videos finally. I will wait to have something good to show