HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:45 AM
KISS
hefest's Avatar
Joined Oct 2009
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
Yes, try the search feature, it really does work...
Only saw RFD900 , 1W version paired with 3dr reports and nothing on rfd900u. Probably missed it somehow. Thanks for the tip.
hefest is online now Find More Posts by hefest
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:54 AM
Crash=start of next project
CN I Dawg's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefest View Post
Only saw RFD900 , 1W version paired with 3dr reports and nothing on rfd900u. Probably missed it somehow. Thanks for the tip.
What combination of radios are you wanting? Micro to micro, micro to rfd900, xxx to micro?
If micro to micro, it should clearly surpass the 3DR to 3DR which has been reported to go 3 miles or further under ideal conditions with a good antenna.
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2014, 08:23 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
As long as you have the same settings they are all compatible. I think the RDF900u has some additional parameters that must be set correctly to communicate with the 3DR but I think that is firmware dependent.

When I get my RDF900 I used the Mission Planner to update the firmware so that it would be exactly the same as my 3DR radios. Does anyone know if I can load V1.9 firmware to the RDF900u using the Mission Planner?


.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2014, 09:12 AM
KISS
hefest's Avatar
Joined Oct 2009
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
What combination of radios are you wanting? Micro to micro, micro to rfd900, xxx to micro?
If micro to micro, it should clearly surpass the 3DR to 3DR which has been reported to go 3 miles or further under ideal conditions with a good antenna.
I'd like to get 2-3km with omnis. 1W sounds like too much so im thinking of pairing up one 3dr with rfd900u.
hefest is online now Find More Posts by hefest
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:29 AM
Waypoint Collector
TNug's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Have you tried the 3DRs? I got 2-3 kms with the 3DRs and stock rubber ducky antennas. Your range/reliability depends on your local conditions though.
TNug is online now Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2014, 02:52 PM
KISS
hefest's Avatar
Joined Oct 2009
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNug View Post
Have you tried the 3DRs? I got 2-3 kms with the 3DRs and stock rubber ducky antennas. Your range/reliability depends on your local conditions though.
Didn't try 3rd's but i've seen some reports all over the forums and friend had 3dr kit on 433mhz and couldn't get over 300 meters. A bit discouraging since my RC LRS is working excellent on the same frequency over 10kms no matter how antennas are positioned. I could try 900mhz 3dr first maybe that's better approach.
hefest is online now Find More Posts by hefest
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2014, 05:06 AM
Crash=start of next project
CN I Dawg's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefest View Post
Didn't try 3rd's but i've seen some reports all over the forums and friend had 3dr kit on 433mhz and couldn't get over 300 meters. A bit discouraging since my RC LRS is working excellent on the same frequency over 10kms no matter how antennas are positioned. I could try 900mhz 3dr first maybe that's better approach.
On any of these low power radios, the antenna and positioning on your platform is key. The antennas that come with the 3DR radios are not very good. Try the super lite ones from the RFD900 site. 900MHz works well for me. I've never tried 433 cuz I have a LRS in the same frequency.
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2014, 05:10 AM
Crash=start of next project
CN I Dawg's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
As long as you have the same settings they are all compatible. I think the RDF900u has some additional parameters that must be set correctly to communicate with the 3DR but I think that is firmware dependent.

When I get my RDF900 I used the Mission Planner to update the firmware so that it would be exactly the same as my 3DR radios. Does anyone know if I can load V1.9 firmware to the RDF900u using the Mission Planner?


.
Not sure on the micro but if it performs like the RFD900, you should be able to. I've updated mine to 1.9 using MP without a problem.
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:06 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefest View Post
Didn't try 3rd's but i've seen some reports all over the forums and friend had 3dr kit on 433mhz and couldn't get over 300 meters. A bit discouraging since my RC LRS is working excellent on the same frequency over 10kms no matter how antennas are positioned. I could try 900mhz 3dr first maybe that's better approach.

I have 900 MHz 3DR radios on several models and I always get more than 2Km (stock antenna). With a RFD900 on the ground and a 3DR in the air I get rock solid at a little over 3Km (the furthest I have flown). The 3DR 433 has never been a very good radio so I would definitely stay away from that one - it must have a design flaw.



.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
boredom.is.me's Avatar
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
My set is up for grabs. I never even got a chance to fly it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2270504
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Range of 2.4GHz RF Modem? GuerillaFilm FPV Talk 1 Apr 18, 2013 06:06 PM
Discussion 12ch Radio relay for wireless long range UHF ground station i3dm FPV Talk 0 Mar 22, 2012 03:20 AM
Sold Short Range - Long Range ! 2x Lawmate receivers, 1x 1000mw VTX & 1x 50mw VRX crashtested FPV Equipment (FS/W) 7 Mar 11, 2012 05:32 PM
Discussion Radio Frequency for Long Range? AeroWRX FPV Talk 3 Feb 13, 2012 10:36 PM