SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, AL, Decatur
Joined Jul 2005
37 Posts
Discussion
Complete ESC replacement on Radian Pro

EDIT: put an order in for a Castle Ice Lite 50. Thanks for the suggestion, Pilot Pete

I'm thinking of picking up a Parkzone Radian Pro to haul a camera round with a pan/tilt mount. The stock motor should be fine (knock on wood). Planned receiver: Spektrum AR8000 w/ T1000 telemetry.

Problem: Parkzone's included E-Flite 30A ESC has a marginal 700 mA BEC. It's barely sufficient for a bone stock Radian, nevermind the extra servos on a Radian Pro. There's no way I'd run the E-Flite 30A ESC with the avionics loads I intend to power. I'd prefer to avoid a separate RX battery pack. I'd also rather not splice a separate BEC onto the stock ESC. Space is at a premium and I like clean airplane guts

tl;dr, What's a good replacement ESC in the 30A to 50A range that can push at least 3 amps out of the BEC? Here's my current short list:
  • Hacker X-30 Pro, 1.06 oz. 2.01"x0.91" 5A BEC
  • Castle Phoenix-35, 0.9 oz. 1.72"x0.95", 5A BEC
  • Hacker X-40 SB Pro, 1.59 oz., 2.95"x1.1", 5A BEC

The X-40 SB Pro is only in the running because it gives some margin should I ever decide to replace the stock motor with something sportier. So what do y'all think?
kartoffel is offline Find More Posts by kartoffel
Last edited by kartoffel; May 02, 2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: choice = made
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 03:11 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,239 Posts
None of the listed ESC's have a 5A BEC. The Hacker X-30 is only 1.5A, the other two are 3A, and all are linear mode BEC's. The CC Ice Lite 50 would be a nice upgrade. It has a 5A switch mode BEC, so it would do the job. Sure you can't shoe horn an external BEC in there, somewhere?
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old May 01, 2012, 03:15 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
I think you should re-evaluate your airframe choice, actually. A reconstituted beer cooler can only take you so far.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old May 01, 2012, 03:27 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,239 Posts
Oh! That was cold
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old May 01, 2012, 03:56 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Oh! That was cold
Pete
Gotta keep the beer on ice.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 01, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jul 2005
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
None of the listed ESC's have a 5A BEC. The Hacker X-30 is only 1.5A, the other two are 3A, and all are linear mode BEC's. The CC Ice Lite 50 would be a nice upgrade. It has a 5A switch mode BEC, so it would do the job. Sure you can't shoe horn an external BEC in there, somewhere?
Pete
Actually, the Haker X-40 SB Pro has a 5 amp BEC. Look here and hit the "more details" button: http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Bru...B-Pro-ESC.aspx Where are you reading that it's only 3A?

The Ice Lite 50 does look really nice: smaller and lighter, which is always nice.

Don't worry, the beer cooler has carbon strategically placed as needed. Even the stock fiberglass wing spar is now a lighter, stuffer carbon tube. And unlike balsa, if I re-kit the plane, you can cut the guts out of it, stuff it into a fresh beer cooler, and be back flying the same day. Plus all my antennas are internal
Last edited by kartoffel; May 02, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Hacker X-40 SB Pro has a 5A BEC. See link.
Old May 02, 2012, 07:17 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Why not simply add a good quality, dedicated BEC?
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 02, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Jul 2005
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Why not simply add a good quality, dedicated BEC?
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html
..a
Because if I'm going to go to the trouble of fixing half of the electrical power system, I may as well replace the E-Flite 30A ESC while I'm at it, too. It doesn't meet spec for the Radian Pro, IMHO, so why should I humor it by slapping a band-aid on it and keeping it in the plane?
Old May 03, 2012, 02:22 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,395 Posts
Because it is not a bandaid... it is a fix.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp