HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:55 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Discussion
Best deals on 2S LiPos for the new AS3X planes?

A thread for great sources for the 180 or perhaps 200 mAH 2S LiPos with the new balancing connectors for the new Beast 3D, Hyper Taxi, and GB.

I looked yesterday at my LHS for some extra packs for my Hyper Taxi whenever it arrives.

At about $24 each, I won't buy many!

The owner suggested that I get a series adapter to use 2 1S packs. I've read that adds too much resistance, not to mention extra wire length and extra weight, plus having to secure two packs somehow.

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Nov 28, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:06 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
I run all my planes with a series connector and haven't had a single problem, but I also use the 2mm polarized plugs. I imagine Babble will be providing batteries for these also. I also have 2 of the Four-Play chargers so I can charge (8) 1-cell bats at a time which really helps.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:02 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
If you look at the price tag only, these ones are are to beat:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19423

Normal price is $4.99 but with a buddy code, they are almost half price. (I think about $2.60 each, can't remember). Connector is a perfect match. Wire is a bit smallish for me (resistance) but very very soft and easy to stick away if you have too, so can't really complaint. I'm just starting to use them, (only a few cycles so far), so I cannot say if they will last long or not (I suspect not...), but at that price, if I get 50 cycles, I'll be happy. If I get more than a 100, then I'll buy more. I also know that my other nanotech batteries are quite decent in the cold as well (though, they are not as good as Hyperions) so crossing fingers that those will be good as well (New Beast 3D as a larger venting hole in front, so good batteries in the cold may be an asset) Time will tell.

P.S.: Sadly, you can only buy 3 at a time with the buddy codes, but hey, you simply add a few everytime you order something from HK!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:06 PM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
Check these out from Value Hobby.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...7-4v-lipo.html

At least they are here in the states. Don't have to wait on shipping from Hong Kong.

Troutbum
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Last edited by Troutbum; Nov 28, 2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:14 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post

At least they are here in the states. Don't have to wait on shipping from Hong Kong.

Troutbum
Wrong connector though!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:35 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
I use 2x 240mah 1S hyperion packs in series, works well, just need a series adapter and you're set at $10 per 2S battery pack.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:11 PM
You're turning into a penguin.
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
Babbel Batts

my goto source for 1s hyperions is (allerc.com).

However, for 2s UMX packs, rcgroups user RCBABBEL sells custom made packs with a beast connector, and they are excellent.

For 2s applications, the Babbel packs are the way to go.

see here for his price list info.

Also, I ordered a single pack on a sunday, i had it in hand Wednesday. (idaho to socal).

anyway, my LHS says new 3d beast will be in tommorrow. yAy!
JetFighterDuck is offline Find More Posts by JetFighterDuck
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:25 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
I think that you may have meant this link for RCBABBEL LiPos offers and prices: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=54990

Sadly, $18.95 each plus $3.00 shipping is more than I hoped to pay. But Hope Springs Eternal!

Thanks,
Jim Marconnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFighterDuck View Post
my goto source for 1s hyperions is (allerc.com).

However, for 2s UMX packs, rcgroups user RCBABBEL sells custom made packs with a beast connector, and they are excellent.

For 2s applications, the Babbel packs are the way to go.

see here for his price list info.

Also, I ordered a single pack on a sunday, i had it in hand Wednesday. (idaho to socal).

anyway, my LHS says new 3d beast will be in tommorrow. yAy!
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:28 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
I just ordered 3 of those packs from HobbyKing. I found a buddy code online, but I never found a place to enter it. Nor did they give me a buddy code to share with my buddies. I guess I'm still confused about the whole buddy code thing.

They were backordered, so I suppose that could affect the buddy code system?

Anyway, now I wait for them to come back into stock and to be sent to me.

Thanks for the info and suggestions!

Jim
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:49 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Jim,

The Buddy code is tricky!

-First, you have to be logged in on the Hobby King web site.

-Then, you can click on a buddy code (a good buddy code is a link, so it should open a new window or a tab if possible). When you open that, you will see that the price is marked down (with a * beside the price). You can then add ONE to your cart. (If you try to add more, sometime it doesn't work).

-Then, once it's in your cart, you can change the QTY up to a maximum of 3, and update your cart.

If a buddy doesn't work, it's because it's over (they are good for only a few days) or has been used. The fact that they are backorded shouldn't affect the buddy code.

Here's two sites that are pretty good if you want to look for buddy codes in the future:
http://hk.rc-international.info/swarm/

http://rc-buddy.com/?p=buddyprice

Too bad you could not use those codes. Though, even at $5 each, they are still a good deal in my book. But at half that price, then it's a steal. Even if they last only 50 cycles, I figure I'll simply use the connector and wiring to make my own Hyperions pack after. The wires are a bit small, but I kind of love the fact that they are easy to squeeze into my airplanes (I normally use very heavy guage wires when I make my packs to reduce wiring resistance). Basically, it would cost almost $2.50 to have this connector crimped with 3 wires alone, so you get X flights for free!

I fly less often in winter, so it will take a long time before I rake lots of flight on them, but at least for now, I can say they do pretty good in the cold we have already.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:33 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Thanks RealGambler for that info. What a Pain!

I thought I'd try the process, and even order 3 more, at that half price!

I found a code both web places for those packs. But both of them came back at the full normal price. So I assume they have already been used, have expired, etc. I tried another link there, and it came back at a discounted price. So I now understand at least the first steps of this process. Thanks!

Now is there a way that I can get a buddy code as a result of my current order? Or should I have done something before I placed the order?

Thanks!
Jim
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:24 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,501 Posts
Hay Jim, my orders from HK took around two weeks with the cheepest shipping, they probably wont be out of stock very long...FYI.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:45 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
Thanks RealGambler for that info. What a Pain!
Now is there a way that I can get a buddy code as a result of my current order? Or should I have done something before I placed the order?

Thanks!
Jim
You're welcome! There's nothing to do other than go look at your account, open your last order and check if you have some to distribute around (little blue thing at the end of a line on your order when you check the status... Click, copy, paste somewhere and hope somebody use it so you can get some money back)

There used to be an icon on the item page showing you would get a buddy code (to give away) if you buy the item. Cannot find one now, so maybe they remove that feature, and now, it's totally random?
Last edited by RealGambler; Dec 04, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:49 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Jim,

There is another alternative. If you have basic soldering skills, you can make your own plug & play Hyperion 2s packs for about $10 each. Considerably more RPM & less weight than other brands - plus you can charge Hyp cells @ 5C for 300+ cycles before they start to fade. If you're interested, see my pack-building thread for links & a tutorial: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360864

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:09 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post

Troutbum
I think I'm going to buy the G-force 2s and then buy the Eflite battery connector from rc-connectors . What I was planning to do is to cut the blance tap connector from the battery and use the center wire to connect to the beast connector. Then cut the jst connector and use the red and black wire and connect it to the beast connector. I think that would work. That would save a few bucks.
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449