to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
How the heck do you get it right-side-up again?? Do you take off inverted? How the heck do you strap in??
With a Rockwell Jawhorse!
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:19 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
How the heck do you get it right-side-up again?? Do you take off inverted? How the heck do you strap in??
*shrug*...got me "swingin'".

<*ba-da-BOOMP-pshhhh!*>

Ask Joel...he saw the caper live.

back on-topic:

*NOTAM*

Just in case someone isn't following the v1B thread....Kevin Kimball (the designer of the full-scale Beast, with input also for the UMX series) stated he and some buds will be doing a test "fly-off" of both v1 and v2 (AS3X) Beasts at some point in the very near future (today maybe)...and will post info and vids. Should be interesting. So watch for it...

That is all.

*END*
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:22 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
1) Yup!
2) Electric winches on the harness.

Engine was converted to dry-sump for continuous inverted flight.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:55 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Free shipping from HH on orders over $49...till Dec. 18th.

FYI

maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:01 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
I don't recall seeing this video posted anywhere so I thought I would since it is probably the longest flying I've seen. It's from the JR Indoor event and features two UMX 3D Beasts flying. Looks like it really excels in snaps, KE, and harriers, though hovering looked tricky - even for these pros. They also stopped flying after 3.5 minutes - I hope that isn't an indicator of the normal flight times. But overally, I'm impressed and plan to get one for Christmas :
http://flightpass.higherplaneproductions.com/g2data/albums/flightpass/popup.php?src=/g2data/albums/flightpass/JRin11/Horizon/JRIN11_C2_007_BeastDemo-H264f30.mov

The only problem is that you need to be a FlightPass member with Higher Planes to view it.

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:33 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
SE, thanks for your reply.

The Beast airframe can be balanced perfectly so that there is absolutely zero pitch coupling and/or roll coupling in KE flight in the real world. My 2nd Beast is so good with KE flight that it feels like its on rails when in KE. Just rudder and throttle needed to stay in a completely straight line. With calm conditions, I can fly KE figure 8s with just elevator and rudder (albeit not good, but this is due to my skill level and not the air frame - but I can do them.)

The airframe on RF seems to always pull to upwards in KE (towards the canopy) like it is out of balance.

Also the rolls are much faster in RF than in the real world (when aileron push rods are in the factory holes at least.)

Furthmore, in the sim (RealFlight,) the air frame seems much more pitch sensitive than in the real world. This makes it extremely tough to center out your straight lines after a cuban 8 or a maneuver. But if you can perfect it in RF you'll master it in the real world.

One more minor issue is that the airframe doesn't "float" or slow down as quick as it would in real life. It seems to have less drag in RF than it does in the real world. Therefore this tends to make it tougher to fly in RF. This tendency coupled with the over sensitive pitch control also makes it much more squirrel-y in low speed maneuvers making the RF model hard to fly.

I'd say the air frame in RF is about 20-40% more difficult to fly than in the real world because of these differences as can be backed up by WSEN:

However, differences aside, I am extremely impressed with how comparable it is.

In the end, if you can fly the UMX Beast in RF, you'll be much better with it in the real world. RF has allowed me to bring my expo values down much more in the real world. I'm down to the lower percentages now (except for ailerons - that stays in the 50% range for expo)
I have just installed Real Flight 6, and with this version KE has revised the physics modelling of an aircrafts airframe.

http://knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27650

As is you can Torque Roll, and Knife Edge the Gyro_Beast v1.7 I've modelled up for RF 5.5. In fact, it now seems too robotic in response, and a little to easy to fly. I'll work on toning it down this upcoming holiday, and maybe add some mixes and what not to make it a bit similar to the AS3X (once I get the real thing - preordered woohoo). Anyhow it seems like it was the math with Real Flight 5.5 that was an issue (not saying that RF 6 is not without its issues also - must get to know it some more too).

UMX Beast with Gyros in Real Flight 6 (1 min 27 sec)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Nov 19, 2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:21 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,988 Posts
I took all the guts from my Beast -and put em into a 22" span Yak-weighing 59 grams inc two single cell 160 ma cells in series- this flies indoors very nicely -and goes straight up like a rocket!
I can't believe the guys at Horizon missed this approach.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:31 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
I took all the guts from my Beast -and put em into a 22" span Yak-weighing 59 grams inc two single cell 160 ma cells in series- this flies indoors very nicely -and goes straight up like a rocket!
Nice! What would you estimate as your all-in cost for that plane?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Nice! What would you estimate as your all-in cost for that plane?
The plane was about 60 bucks - plus whatever the beast cost

Iwould buy just the pieces; rx-motor - servos and a pushrod and connector set from the 4 site -

It is kinda spendy to buy the model

the good part is that the parts are very durable and with a little imagination you can build a custom model for very little that will accept these parts

FWIW there are now some EPP kits which will work with this setup - the one from Hobbico is 25 bucks -
Look around for a used and abused beast for a good price second hand.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Cool. I'm waiting on the 3DHS 34" EPP Edge to come back in stock. Got all the other parts - just need the plane!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:13 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
I have just installed Real Flight 6, and with this version KE has revised the physics modelling of an aircrafts airframe.

As is you can Torque Roll, and Knife Edge the Gyro_Beast v1.7 I've modelled up for RF 5.5. In fact, it now seems too robotic in response, and a little to easy to fly. I'll work on toning it down this upcoming holiday, and maybe add some mixes and what not to make it a bit similar to the AS3X (once I get the real thing - preordered woohoo). Anyhow it seems like it was the math with Real Flight 5.5 that was an issue (not saying that RF 6 is not without its issues also - must get to know it some more too).
Silverexpress,
I saw the
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:15 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post

Silverexpress,
I saw the version 6 upgrade and it looked like mainly a helo upgrade. Do you think the physics have changed enough to warrant upgrading for us plank only flyers?
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Nov 19, 2011, 03:59 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
I can't believe how they haven't produced a kit like the one you have there. I would like to have something between the UMX 300 and the Beast for an indoor single basketball court gym. That 22 inch looks perfect. That your own design? They for sale?
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:40 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I can't believe how they haven't produced a kit like the one you have there. I would like to have something between the UMX 300 and the Beast for an indoor single basketball court gym. That 22 inch looks perfect. That your own design? They for sale?
Mine was a kit - BUT thissize believe it or not is not as popular as the smaller stuff for the UMX300 gear!
It is a far better flier and on tthe 6.3 takes off at a very slow speed and cruises much like a VAPOR!