SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2014, 11:31 AM
United States, MD, Marydel
Joined Jul 2013
14 Posts
Question
New to 1/2A Newbie Questions

I am building my first 1/2A plane, I have been into RC 15 years and fly mostly nitro .60 and up models. My questions are ...

What battery do you use in a plane this small?
Will my futaba r617fs be the best (futaba) receiver for a 1/2A plane?
Is solartex going to be too heavy to cover it with?

This is the plane I am building ...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=dallair
camsbad is offline Find More Posts by camsbad
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2014, 02:26 PM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Sollentuna
Joined Aug 2010
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camsbad View Post
I am building my first 1/2A plane, I have been into RC 15 years and fly mostly nitro .60 and up models. My questions are ...

What battery do you use in a plane this small?
Will my futaba r617fs be the best (futaba) receiver for a 1/2A plane?
Is solartex going to be too heavy to cover it with?

This is the plane I am building ...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=dallair
I'm quite new to 1/2A myself (in fact my first 1/2A-plane was finished yesterday), but in the building thread for my Zaunkönig I got the advice to use a 2/3 AAA-pack of 400mAh.

Another alternative is a SmartLiPo. They are much more expensive, but is lighter and some of them can be shut down by holding a magnet close to the unit, and thus eliminate the need for a physical ON/OFF-switch. To be honest I bought mine for using in my DLG - I couldn't justify the cost of the SmartLiPo if I only were to use it in my Zaunkönig.

As for the cover material I am sure you will get better answer from the other guys who have tons of more knowledge than I. All I can say is I used a NoName film I bought from AliExpress which seems to be okay. I think my covering has approximately the same weight as Solarfilm.

Attached is my Zaunkönig. It's built from a kit I bought from http://www.fiberplanes.de/ (allthough the page is only in German it's ok to write them in English). My plane weighs 310 gram (10.9 oz) ready to fly (except fuel) with the 400mAh NiMH-pack.

/Stefan
SBS_Pilot is online now Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SBS_Pilot; Feb 03, 2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Corrected some spelling eroors.
Old Feb 04, 2014, 04:58 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
390 Posts
I wouldn't use SolarTex on a 1/2A plane. The vast majority of the planes I've built have been 1/2A to .40 size. I'm not a 1/2A fanatic but I really love small planes so I've built enough to know a little bit.

Personally I would go with one of the lightweight park flyer type plastic iron-ons.

I really like the stuff from Hobby Lobby. They keep changing the name of it so i don't know what it's called now but you can find it easily enough on their site.

Sig has some light stuff too. In fact, about every major plastic covering manufacturer has a light version.

I've used Solarfilm a few times but it gets soft and sags in the Florida sun so I won't use it any more.

Anyway, you want 1/2A planes to be as light as you can make them. Unlike larger planes that can usually carry a little extra weight without notice, every gram in 1/2A matters. SolarTex is too heavy.
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan
Old Feb 07, 2014, 01:57 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,073 Posts
"I've used Solarfilm a few times but it gets soft and sags in the Florida sun so I won't use it any more."

Same here, Oracover, sold as Profilm in some countries, is the better option. It also enables you to use diesel engines without wrinkling.

I've been told that Solarfilm have improved their product so that it doesn't wrinkle in the sun, but I've never used it since I discovered Oracover. Solartex is an excellent product but far too heavy for a small model.
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Feb 08, 2014, 11:08 PM
United States, MD, Marydel
Joined Jul 2013
14 Posts
Batteries

How about batteries, what's everyone using for batteries in the 1/2A planes?
camsbad is offline Find More Posts by camsbad
Old Feb 09, 2014, 08:09 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
390 Posts
Depends on what you've got for servos, how many and how much binding there is.

I have a field charger so don't worry about battery size too much. For 1/2A with three micro servos a 250 pack is plenty. If I fly a lot any given day I might top it off once or twice.

350 should give you all day easily. Back in the day I used to fly all day with a 500 mAh pack with 4 standard servos and never ran out of battery. You could probably even use a 150 but watch it carefully until you know what you get out of it. Best if you have a charger that tells you how much you put in the pack. If you put back in 100 mAh and you had three flights then you're using 33 mAh a flight on average.
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan