HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:18 AM
Joined Aug 2013
17 Posts
Discussion
SKY SR4 bike

Hello everyone. Has anyone had same bad experience as me with SKY SR4 bike. Threads were stripped in chassis and servo gears stripped after about 10 minutes of very gentle running. Gyro would only run intermittently, arm sometimes when it felt like it, chain rubbing on chassis and tyre and washer missing off rear axle. When I checked, servo tape had been put over the splines of the servo. After complaining to the supplier I had a complete refund. I don't know how I would have got on if I had imported this bike! Never had one answer to my emails to Chinese manufacturers.
I have suspicions bike was built in this country.
I think Anderson MX is the way to go for me. Anywhere in UK can get 2.4 brushless setup (new)?
Derek Wythes is offline Find More Posts by Derek Wythes
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:46 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
As far as I know, all the stuff you get in UK shops is the 27Mhz/15t brushed motor package as a 'Ready To Run'. Gregor has a 2.4Ghz/Brushless combo in stock but the price is eye watering. http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...rson_m5_cross/

If you havent spent your refund, you are not too far away from an Atomik MM450 brand new. Dunno what the current situation is like regarding availability as I haven't checked, but I came in at a few bob under £400 after I paid Her Majesty for the import privilege. It's also a great bike straight from the crate, not without it's own particular niggles, but they have been identified here on the forum and can be rectified without major drama. I adore my M5 and still claim it as best value here in Blighty, but If you can stretch that bit further...
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Aug 25, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Aug 2013
17 Posts
SR4 Bike

John thanks for the reply but after my experience with the SR4 e.g. gyro I think I will stick with a mechanical set-up like the Anderson buy a brushed version and convert it to brushless myself like the rest of you guys.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
Best off trawling Ebay for the second hand barely used with gold forks under £100 ish if the M5 is the route you're taking. I helped my M5 komrade get one via the same way as I did (mine £90 all in BNIB but stock, his £150 but used twice and with upgrades totalling nearer the £400 mark as a full bike).

Don't plow too much into one though, they can be expensive if you go mad and the larger 1/4 scale Arx540 and the VMx450 can be had for good money and the bigger wheels will help over the rough stuff. Both have the mechanical gyro (M-gyro).
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Aug 25, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Aug 2013
17 Posts
SR4 bike

John had quick look on ebay. There looks a reasonable Anderson may bid on it. Thanks again.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 02:25 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
There is also the Himoto Mx400. It is what appears to be a 1/4 scale clone of the 1/5 Anderson. It is a bit pricier at £189 but you get the M-gyro and the bigger wheels. Very little information here about them as I'm not sure who has one. There are dark mutterings about Atomik having this as their future bike, but nowt official so it might have good future parts support and upgrades beyond the black pogo sticks for forks, maybe...
Old Aug 25, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2013
17 Posts
SR4 bike

John
Checked that out. You get brushed motor for that price. Thanks anyway.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 03:49 AM
United Kingdom, Walsall
Joined Mar 2013
605 Posts
Have you seen this one on eBay?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=251326437205

Fit your own system?
Syncro is online now Find More Posts by Syncro
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:44 AM
Joined Aug 2013
17 Posts
SR4 bike

Cheers Syncro but I think I am going to go with new from Wireless Madness at £147. Run the brushed motor out then convert to brushless. Why does nobody seem to use aero-heli esc's? Why not.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:50 AM
United Kingdom, Walsall
Joined Mar 2013
605 Posts
I experimented with a cheap one from hobby king.
The problem I had was the throttle neutral position was in the wrong place. RC aircraft use the whole of the travel on the stick for throttle, so neutral position was near enough at full reverse.
Does that make sense?
Maybe you'd have more success with a programable one?
£147 for a brand new m5 is a great price. From what I've seen even brushed they're good. Especially at that price.
Syncro is online now Find More Posts by Syncro
Old Aug 26, 2013, 06:36 AM
Joined Aug 2013
17 Posts
SR4 bike

Thanks Syncro that makes sense I am an heli and plane flyer and did notice on SR4 transmitter that mid stick was full throttle. I am a newcomer to bikes so I can wear out a brushed system while learning. I didn't find the SR4 too difficult to control it was just an absolutely crap machine.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Nov 2009
127 Posts
Sky RC SR4

This is kind of confusing, I think you had bad luck with the Sky RC bike. When I look at the videos the bike runs fairly well. I keep looking at the bike and evaluating the benefits vs risks. The MM450 seems like you upgrade a lot of stuff and as it is you have to buy the bike for the same price of the SR4 and you need to buy an ESC for the eGyro. Most of us upgrade the servo off the bat, the rear shock everybody is changing no matter which bike it may be. I'm really curious about the front forks, are they similar to the mm450's or completely diff? And how does the battery placement variations change the balance of the bike for jumping. I think these are the things that may make me choose one or the other. Other than this, not convinced its a bad buy yet, or at least not so much more inferior to the MM450. I would like to here from people who have gotten it. I mean, wort case senarion is buying a Ricky Carmicheal and making it work good and thats been done before. Seems that making an SR4 work would be much easier. And you have a eGyro!

Has anybody bought one and started t mess with it yet???

Please post
motonovice is offline Find More Posts by motonovice
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:15 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
I got to see an SR4 bike in the flesh last weekend, a guy came out to run his SR4 bike with my MM450 & the MM450 is on another level to the SR4 bike in scale looks, quality & performance, it was the first time i had met the guy & he said he had taken it out 4 times & had issues every time, on the weekend he had problems as well, he has a new mm450 as well but needs to get the esc for the gyro & is going to bin the SR4 bike lol.
The MM450 does not need many mods it is more preventative maintenance that needs to be done & they are the best dirt bike on the market in IMO.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:01 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
I'll second what TJ says.

The MM needs little work (fork slider polishing (easy done), nylon scratchbars (easy done), the E-gyro ESC sourcing and fitting, remove the footpegs for better cornering (easy done) and it is just smiles all round after that.

My Anderson M5 Komrade is looking at getting one after he watched mine breeze over the lumpy bumpy stuff at the track. I'm on the search for another, despite other choices. Cheaper than the ARx540, only a bit more than the SKY SR4 but looks the dogs and goes like stink, straight from the box.

It might be an awful lot of plastic, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the MM if you have the cash.
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Sep 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:35 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonovice View Post
This is kind of confusing, I think you had bad luck with the Sky RC bike. When I look at the videos the bike runs fairly well. I keep looking at the bike and evaluating the benefits vs risks. The MM450 seems like you upgrade a lot of stuff and as it is you have to buy the bike for the same price of the SR4 and you need to buy an ESC for the eGyro. Most of us upgrade the servo off the bat, the rear shock everybody is changing no matter which bike it may be. I'm really curious about the front forks, are they similar to the mm450's or completely diff? And how does the battery placement variations change the balance of the bike for jumping. I think these are the things that may make me choose one or the other. Other than this, not convinced its a bad buy yet, or at least not so much more inferior to the MM450. I would like to here from people who have gotten it. I mean, wort case senarion is buying a Ricky Carmicheal and making it work good and thats been done before. Seems that making an SR4 work would be much easier. And you have a eGyro!

Has anybody bought one and started t mess with it yet???

Please post
I could go into how the mm450 has design features the sr4 doesn't even include but Id rather keep the topic on subject...

Sounds like you own the sr4 bike? I looked at the manual and the forks have a very different internal design to the mm450. I am curious if you own the bike, could you measure the outside diameter of the upper fork tubes? How long do the full forks extend? Thanks.

Here is the ONLY (4 page) discussion on the bike I can find, although it seems like its mostly just one owner with a bunch of curious others. A few mods done include steering damper and revo rear shock. Thread has been dead for a few months. Interesting the main guy (tomr) sounds like he purchased an mm450 at end of discussion but when its time for a comparison, discussion stops lol. http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/17...sr4-dirt-bike/.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc