SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:41 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,774 Posts
Discussion
So you fancy a big plane but have a small car.

Small car, but would love a big plane ?, then think about how you could disassemble it for transport.

I had a couple of nice flights with my B-25, (93" span), and a Spitfire (72" span), this morning. The B-25 was scratch built 19 years ago, and still flies. At that time I had a Fiat Punto so the model had to fit in it somehow.

Now my car is a Ford C-Max (the 5 seat, not the longer 7 seat), still not exactly cavernous even with the rear seats folded. Yet I regularly take two or more models including one of my 'biggies', either the B-25, a B-17, (100" span), or my Sunderland, (90" span).
All were scratch built, and the initial design criteria is always they have to fit my car.

Here's some pictures I took this morning to show how I manage to get a couple of fair sized models to my flying site.

So, if your thinking, "I would love to fly one of those bigger models, but my cars too small", either get yourself a bigger car , or consider just how you could make a model fit.

No more excuses for not building, and a few more threads in here of how you adapted your models would be nice.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,774 Posts
Here's the B-17 and Sunderland, 100" and 90" respectively.

I haven't got a finished picture of the B-17 disassembled, but the build picture shows the wings and the horizontal stabs are removable. The fuselage is still a long lump, so for that I drop the rear of the front passengers seat back, and lay the fuse, almost from the dash to the rear window.

The Sunderland has removable outer panels like the B-25, and the fuselage with inner wing lays in a foam cradle in the rear of the car, (the inner wing section is still removable, but I don't need to for transport).
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:41 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,720 Posts
Wing halves and two-part fuse of a 124" bush plane, support equipment and me fitted into a 2004 Aveo sedan for trips to and from the field.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:27 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
166 Posts
Very clever, did you design the wing fuse joiners etc?
AMcC is offline Find More Posts by AMcC
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,720 Posts
Thanks AMcC,

Yes, all o/d. Each wing panel attached by two bolts through two tabs glued between the forward and aft wing spars. The photo shows the assembly clamped while the tabs were being glued in. Struts held the otherwise flapping wings in the correct position.

The fuse went together with four nylon bolts just aft of the wing trailing edge.

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:15 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,774 Posts
I just remembered another one - (this is starting to make me feel old, almost as old as the guy I see in the mirror each day )

C-160 Transall, 80" span scratch built,maiden flight in July 1991. She even had opening rear doors, (one up, one down), and could drop a cargo chute.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:28 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,774 Posts
This one does just meet the forums, '140" combined width and length for jets' criteria, and is quite a recent build.

Sort of Mig 142/144, EDP, (ducted prop). only 64" span, but that fuselage is 'big'.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:17 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
166 Posts
Paul, thanks for the photos. Am I correct in that you do not have any sort of spar/tube that runs through both wings and the fuse but that each wing is separately bolted to the fuse. Obviously this is strong enough as you appear to have used it very successfully. As I've started building with blue foam/glass fibre, (Brian Taylor 109 61" test flight soon) I realised that I could have made a much larger plane for the same price but with a lower wing loading and better flying characteristics. Your experience has encouraged me to go big next time
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:36 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,774 Posts
AMcC

If you look closely at the last picture in Post #1, that's my 72" span Spitfire wedged in alongside the B-25. The wings are one piece and have the retracts sticking out, so it takes a little juggling but fits in.
She only weighs 7Lb 2oz flying. Made from Depron foam with 1/4" balsa vertical spar. Butt joined wing halves with a 2" glass cloth bandage around the join. She loops, rolls, great fun to fly.

The B-25 and Sunderland have short 3/8" diameter hard wood dowels in paper tubes. The B-17 has 1/2" diameter.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:51 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,519 Posts
When it came time to change my car I had a dilemma - by then nobody was making small cars with a boot (trunk) so that I could continue carrying my models without cluttering the seating area (the rear two of which I really didn't need anyway) so rather than buy an estate (which cost a fair bit more) and have whatever I was transporting on display to the outside world, I chose a small van. This saved me a lot of money (about 5000) and gave me much better storage space, allowing me to go large with my designs.

I then had 67" as the longest part I could transport without overhanging the passenger seat so designed accordingly.

My models still break down in the same ways as yours Ray... but having come across the Flair wing-joining system I had begun to standardise on that until they had problems supplying the inner 12mm x 2mm spring steel so I bought some of the brass outer and bought carbon inner in stead. This I use only for the wings anyway as fuselages join using 1/4" dowel and my piano wire loop and pin system - which is very light.

One factor I deem important is that my rear fuselages normally span across the wing centre section so that they effectively act as a hatch allowing easy access to all the workings housed in the wing root. This also happens to suit the joining system which has the dowels at the rear and wire loops over the main spar.

All the electronics connect automatically via DIN plugs and sockets so that I cannot assemble the model and then wonder why the control surfaces don't work and then immediately realise that I forgot to connect them and have to take it apart again.

The Percival Q6 illustrates it fairly well so here are a few photos...
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
That is a beautiful A/C eye4wings! Very light for for 112"

Harry
Harry H is online now Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
This foamy fits in my vehicle like a finger in the bum, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:47 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,519 Posts
So how does it take apart Joe?

Or is your vehicle perhaps not exactly the small one Ray referred to in his OP?
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:33 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
166 Posts
Must be a big vehicle's bum.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:01 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
166 Posts
On a slightly more serious note, does anyone have photos or ideas for breaking a large biplane down for transport