Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by Paul Luebke
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2001
224 Posts
Slope Sites in Missouri & Illinois

The slope along Bluff road at hwy HH (Double H slope) is about 19 miles closer to the JB bridge than is Fults hill. It's about 12 miles from the JB bridge to the HH slope. The elevation to the top of HH is about 170ft above the river valley while Fults is about 240ft above the river valley. It looks like the launch area is about the same distance from the base for both locations so Fults is about 30% steeper.

Here's a few Google Earth photos of the HH Slope:
Paul Luebke is offline Find More Posts by Paul Luebke
Last edited by Paul Luebke; Oct 26, 2005 at 12:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:10 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2001
224 Posts
Fults Hill

For comparison here are a few photos of Fults hill. Note that the ideal launch landing area is at the top of the hill rather than at the edge of the bluff.
Last edited by Paul Luebke; Oct 26, 2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:11 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2001
224 Posts
Slope near Alton IL?

I have used Google Earth to look along the Great River Rd (Hwy 100) in Illinois and this site looks like it has the most potential although it also looks like the trees quite possibly go all the way to the top of the slope. Access is also questionable.

This is a little more than four miles up the river from Alton.
Last edited by Paul Luebke; Oct 26, 2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:15 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2001
224 Posts
Castlewood State Park

This is one I thought had potential at an ideal location, a state park with good access. I checked it out though, walked the whole ridge and there's no place with a large enough clearing.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:26 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2001
224 Posts
Palisades Road

This one's about 11mi, 23 minutes from Buder Park at 44 and 141. Have not been there yet, it looks like it's likely all private property with homes along the ridge though.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:46 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2001
224 Posts
Art Hill

I have not flown here but I think Robert has, a light DLG type plane may work ok here. It has about a 50ft elevation change over about 420ft horizontal for about a 11% slope. Fults by comparison is about a 48% slope.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 01:13 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2001
224 Posts
Double H slope

I knew the wind was a little too much out of the North but I was optimistic that the wind would be even stronger at the top of the slope than what was forecasted. It took me 30 minutes to get there from the office where I work which is almost across the street from Crestwood Plaza.

Although it appears that itís possible to actually drive up to the cemetery by following HH I took the gravel road up to a parking spot about 100ft from the clearing where the cemetery is located.
The gravel road that starts by passing between two steel posts you want to stay to the right following a hairpin turn back toward the bluff.

Once at the top I scoped out the area and measured the wind speed with my Radio Shack wind meter of questionable accuracy, it was reading around 6 to 7mph. Both my P-51 and my Boomerang EPP wing were in the car and it was not hard to decide which one to throw first. The Boomerang has only about a 4oz/sq.ft wing load so itís great for checking out the lift. I can throw it about 40ft to start off with.

Starting at the bluff the hill/slope is basically like this: A row of trees along the top ridge of the bluff, not high enough to be a showstopper but enough to complicate things. After the trees there is a clearing with a very slight incline increasing in steepness as you move away from the bluff and toward the cemetery. The clearing is not mowed and some of the weeds and brush are about 5 feet high. This appears to be the best landing area so you donít want to fly something that canít deal with small woody branches. The clearing continues up to another level area directly in front of the mausoleum. Continuing up farther to the top of the mausoleum is the cemetery area which is mowed and level. Itís possible to throw from up here although you have about 100ft to travel before you get out into the lift.

My first throw was from the upper level clearing in front of the mausoleum. I did not get much lift since I did not go out very far and was back down within a minute. Then I realized that there was a trail going down into the lower clearing and threw the Boomerang again from a spot nearer the ridge. The wind was about 30 degrees off perpendicular to the slope so the lift was not as strong as it could have been, even so I flew for about ten minutes although I did not do much more than work the lift since it was not strong enough to play around much.

So, my first impression is that it is a decent spot to fly with something that can take some abuse and has a light wing loading so that the landing speed is not high. The landing area does not compare to Fults where the clearing extends way back behind the hill allowing into the wind approaches. Here there is very little room back behind the ridge for such an approach. The bluff does not seem to be nearly as high as Fults and the trees along the ridge make it much more necessary to avoid low flying along the slope Ė you pretty much have to stay high rather than being able to easily fly at the same altitude of the ground you are standing at Fults. I did not think it would be practical to fly my P-51 here regardless of the windspeed since I can't throw it very high and it's much faster than the Boomerang.

This was my first stop at this location and I did not have much time since I was on lunch break so further evaluation may bring a more thorough evaluation.
Last edited by Paul Luebke; Nov 10, 2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 01:19 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2001
224 Posts
double H slope

More photo's taken on 11/9/05
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by Brian Molloy
Pitch - Roll - Y'all
St. Louis
Joined Oct 2001
200 Posts
Neat slope site and few complaints from the neighbors . . . but . . .

Looks like a significant DEAD ZONE along the ridge requiring PERPETUAL CARE to stay out of any WAKES. PLANTING yourself RIGIDLY out in front with the STIFF breeze and not BELOW, will allow you to PLOT a careful course through the PROCESSION of SPIRITED rotors which could play HELL with a COLD thumb. Stopping DEAD by BURYING your MOLDIE vs. WORMING your way through an ETERNAL succession of approaches and the INEVITABLE pile of STYX would result if you fail to PRE-PLAN. In NETHER WORLDS, GRAVE consequences await if you just RIP through!!
Brian Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Brian Molloy
Old Jan 15, 2006, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by xzy7107
R.Y.RC/MODEL
shenyang china
Joined Jan 2006
17 Posts
Good!!!
xzy7107 is offline Find More Posts by xzy7107
Old Jun 13, 2016, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by fishboy77
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
958 Posts
Art Hill is ok with a DLG but requires a stiff breeze to stay up for long.

Slope soaring the Taboo GT at Art Hill (4 min 44 sec)
fishboy77 is online now Find More Posts by fishboy77