Old Jul 23, 2016, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by Vortexhunter10
Joined Jul 2016
3 Posts
Help!
New into Drones

Hi my name is Kade Illian and I am an amateur storm chaser. As the FAA has recently formed a waiver allowing someone to bypass certain regulations, my interest in drones have peaked. I am new into RC planes and drones and have a lot of questions.
First off, I would like to be able to operate my drone from my car as my chase partner drives. Once I am up and flying into the t-storm, I hope to capture video and a couple of pictures while in the air. This plane will be decked with meteorological equipment that allows me to obtain some data that has never been obtained before, well in a cheap consistent way. Here are a few concerns I have.
1. The winds associated with these storms will rip the plane to shreds. With sustained wind speeds of over 70 knots at times and much higher gusts, this drone will have to be extremely aerodynamic and durable.

2. If the drone goes down, so does all of the equipment. My guess is that this drone will not be even remotely cheap, so I have to make sure that the equipment is protected and that the drone itself does not go down.

3. Range. This may not be so much of an issue, but I will need a good 30 mile range. I can obviously settle for less, but I have seen the product Dragon Link and am highly interested in that. I am also a ham radio operator so I can operate on a wide range of bands.

4. Power. The plane has to be capable of maybe around an hour flight.
I have never heard of a RC plane with these types of capabilities, especially regarding wind. I would be open to trying to build my own drone, but with extremely little experience, this would probably not end well. Cost is not to much of a factor, anything below $5000 is ideal, still a high goal though. What do you think? Would this ever work? Thank you!
Vortexhunter10 is offline Find More Posts by Vortexhunter10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2016, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by PRNDL
Power Glide
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2013
1,362 Posts
You will probably have better luck posing your questions here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/multirotor-talk-659/
PRNDL is offline Find More Posts by PRNDL
Old Jul 23, 2016, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
AMA 537620
United States, NY, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2008
5,933 Posts
Being able to fly in 70+ kts is the least of your worries... An hour of flight time and fast and 30 mile range are all contradictory requirements... And as contradictory requirements pile up so does the size of the aircraft and the size of the wallet needed. I would say if you drop the range and flight time requirement this might not be that difficult.

No regulations ban you from flying from inside a moving vehicle BTW.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jul 23, 2016, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
13,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortexhunter10 View Post
... I am new into RC planes and drones and have a lot of questions. ...
Some well-structured reading and handy e-tools for rainy/windy days. Will save you, and us , a lot of questions.
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And please, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter. It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup.

Prettig weekend Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Jul 23, 2016, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by DustBen
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Dec 2011
2,867 Posts
I doubt the winds in a storm will tear a plane apart. The plane will just follow the currents.
It would have to be in a very precise position between two sheers of wind to get damaged.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jul 23, 2016, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
Joined May 2012
2,416 Posts
Whether or not the wind will destroy it is besides the point. A model aircraft, be it a plane or a multirotor, will be uncontrollable in the kinds of winds in the vicinity of a tornado. Even with onboard stabilization, it'll simply be too turbulent.

The fastest winds I've flown in were maybe 35MPH. I didn't have on-board stabilization, though that didn't matter. The plane was fast and I had to fly it close to WOT the entire time or the wind just knocked it around in the sky. Even landing was work, the air near the ground was as turbulent as the air a few 100 feet up. Used up the battery in 4 minutes vs. a normal expected flight time of closer to 7.

Remember, to be controllable, the model will have to be capable of flying at least as fast as the maximum wind speed (really, it probably needs to be able to do something closer to 125% of maximum wind speed). Otherwise, it'll just get blown downwind. A plane or multirotor capable of flying 70+ MPH sustained will only be able to carry the battery for maybe a few minutes of flight. You'd need to do this with gas, not electric, so it'd have to be a plane not a multirotor.

IMO, you probably can't do what you want to do. Any model aircraft will be too light for the wind speeds. It won't go where you want it, it'll go where the wind pushes it. And for that, you might as well use a balloon.
rocketsled666 is online now Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old Jul 23, 2016, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by DustBen
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Dec 2011
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666 View Post
Whether or not the wind will destroy it is besides the point.
Thank you for agreeing with my comment.

The aircraft can fly; can the dude on the ground fly it?
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jul 23, 2016, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by flatus antiquus
Yep - that's what it means.
United States, WA, Parkland
Joined Feb 2015
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortexhunter10 View Post
Hi my name is Kade Illian and I am an amateur storm chaser. As the FAA has recently formed a waiver allowing someone to bypass certain regulations, my interest in drones have peaked. I am new into RC planes and drones and have a lot of questions.
First off, I would like to be able to operate my drone from my car as my chase partner drives. Once I am up and flying into the t-storm, I hope to capture video and a couple of pictures while in the air. This plane will be decked with meteorological equipment that allows me to obtain some data that has never been obtained before, well in a cheap consistent way. Here are a few concerns I have.
1. The winds associated with these storms will rip the plane to shreds. With sustained wind speeds of over 70 knots at times and much higher gusts, this drone will have to be extremely aerodynamic and durable.

2. If the drone goes down, so does all of the equipment. My guess is that this drone will not be even remotely cheap, so I have to make sure that the equipment is protected and that the drone itself does not go down.

3. Range. This may not be so much of an issue, but I will need a good 30 mile range. I can obviously settle for less, but I have seen the product Dragon Link and am highly interested in that. I am also a ham radio operator so I can operate on a wide range of bands.

4. Power. The plane has to be capable of maybe around an hour flight.
I have never heard of a RC plane with these types of capabilities, especially regarding wind. I would be open to trying to build my own drone, but with extremely little experience, this would probably not end well. Cost is not to much of a factor, anything below $5000 is ideal, still a high goal though. What do you think? Would this ever work? Thank you!
I've gotten a few emails about waivers and they all say "when following a community-based organization's safety guidelines... such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics" and "keep the model in visual line of sight of the pilot/observer".

I really think, before any discussion of equipment, you should join the AMA, and then ask them if what you're attempting to do passes both of those qualifications.
flatus antiquus is online now Find More Posts by flatus antiquus
Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
AMA 537620
United States, NY, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2008
5,933 Posts
I don't think you'll find any FAA agents in the vicinity of a Tornado to come and check your papers... Just sayin'
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by Vortexhunter10
Joined Jul 2016
3 Posts
Thank you all for your help. I am an inexperienced flyer so I would need a lot of practice in high winds before I could ever hope to achieve my goal. To clear things up, I would be getting no where close to the actual tornado. That would not be the purpose of this drone. Thanks again.
Vortexhunter10 is offline Find More Posts by Vortexhunter10
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:06 AM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
Joined May 2012
2,416 Posts
You said "70 MPH" winds. That's going to require an extremely fast/heavy airplane and a highly skilled pilot. I've been flying RC since the 1970s, I think I'm a fairly competent pilot, and I am confident I wouldn't be able to fly in 70 MPH winds. If you were talking straight-line winds, maybe it'd be manageable, just. But turbulent winds at those speeds, hard to imagine being successful even if you had a ton of experience. Don't mean to discourage you, but you're talking about a significant investment in equipment - it'd suck to lose it all on the first sortee.
rocketsled666 is online now Find More Posts by rocketsled666