Old Nov 26, 2015, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by James7
Nothing said I had to crash.
Joined Jul 2015
33 Posts
Discussion
First Nitro Rc Boat - Need Help!

Hello everyone, I have purchased a Blackjack 24 from Proboat to race with my friend and I am looking for a step-up.

I do not know a thing about nitro boats but I am mechanically inclined. I need to know anything important such as what fuel to use, how to get it started and tuned, and etc.. My budget is 400-500 usd. The faster the better!

I look forward to having some fun out on the lake. Thanks everyone.
James7 is offline Find More Posts by James7
Last edited by James7; Nov 27, 2015 at 07:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2015, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by Ron Olson
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
3,292 Posts
Use fuel made for boats, not planes or cars. This is important as hobby shops will try to unload anything that they have on the shelf. Heli fuel is the closest as it has 20% oil content which is what you need.
You'll need something to get the fuel into the tank. A hand-crank fuel pump is a cheap way to go. Pick up a rechargeable glow plug ignitor and some spare plugs while you're at it.
The factory settings on the carb is going to be rough as they have no idea where the boat will end up so expect to play with those but generally just the high-speed needle.
Keep the flex cable greased so pick up some of that.
Plastic props are prop to breakage so shop for a Beryllium Copper one.
AquaCraft is a good place to look for props and grease as the props are good to go, no balancing or sharpening needed out of the package. The grease smells like an oil refinery but works very well.
Ron Olson is online now Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by James7
Nothing said I had to crash.
Joined Jul 2015
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
Use fuel made for boats, not planes or cars. This is important as hobby shops will try to unload anything that they have on the shelf. Heli fuel is the closest as it has 20% oil content which is what you need.
You'll need something to get the fuel into the tank. A hand-crank fuel pump is a cheap way to go. Pick up a rechargeable glow plug ignitor and some spare plugs while you're at it.
The factory settings on the carb is going to be rough as they have no idea where the boat will end up so expect to play with those but generally just the high-speed needle.
Keep the flex cable greased so pick up some of that.
Plastic props are prop to breakage so shop for a Beryllium Copper one.
AquaCraft is a good place to look for props and grease as the props are good to go, no balancing or sharpening needed out of the package. The grease smells like an oil refinery but works very well.
What would be a boat you recommend around my price range? Thanks so much or the info!
James7 is offline Find More Posts by James7