Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by jkap5t
Joined Oct 2015
12 Posts
Help!
Big Foam Block

I need helping finding where to order foam stock. I need high density foam that can be cut using hot wire cutting and can also be machined similar to the insulation sheets at Lowe's or Home Depot. For my wings I need sheets that are 2 inches thick. For the fuselage I need blocks that are at least 5 inches thick which I am having a very hard time finding.
jkap5t is offline Find More Posts by jkap5t
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2015, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by didjital
cuckoo for cocoa puffs
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined May 2013
31 Posts
You can laminate thinner sheets together with Elmer rubber cement to make thicker stock. Just paint it on both surfaces, let it completely dry, then press together. I've never had it come apart.
didjital is offline Find More Posts by didjital
Old Nov 14, 2015, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,675 Posts
Try a building supplies, or insulation stockist for foam supplies.

I assume this is your Guillow Edge 540 Composite Build project, and for manufacturing plugs and molds.

If so, there is a very good RCGroups -- Composites Fabrication forum -- that may be of help.

Ray.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 14, 2015, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
15,910 Posts
You might also look into billots made for docks. These are the old popcorn type foam but make good hotwire cut wings etc.
Mine are two by four ft. by 6 in. thick.
Try a marina or marina supplies source.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 14, 2015, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,741 Posts
I have used 3M 77 to laminate sheets together. I have a wing I did about 15 years ago in the garage and it has not come apart. The hot wire cut across the joint like it was not there.

out here we have a supply company call White Cap. They can order sheet in any thickness you want.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Nov 14, 2015, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
8,592 Posts
Foam blocks of even 3 Foot thickness are easily found at boating /dock building suppliers.
Local one has Monster sized Foat block things in stock. Lots of them.. each wrapped in blue cling film.
I suspect it's bead type foam though.
Will look closer next time I'm there.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by jkap5t
Joined Oct 2015
12 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. This is actually a different project from my Edge build. It's a school project and will have close to a 6' span. The issue is that we need something machinable so the popcorn or bead style will not work. I've machined high density foam before with great results but nothing this thick. Also one of our criteria is manufacturability and laminating will have a big impact on this aspect so we definitely want to go with solid blocks that are already thick enough for what we need.

Unfortunately my Edge build will have to be put on pause for the next couple weeks while I work on this.
jkap5t is offline Find More Posts by jkap5t
Old Nov 15, 2015, 03:28 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
12,357 Posts
Dow Floormate (aka blue foam) is available in several densities and sheets of up to 150mm and 200mm thick. All you have to do is find a stockist. That will depend on where you live.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
2,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap5t View Post
Thank you for all the replies. This is actually a different project from my Edge build. It's a school project and will have close to a 6' span. The issue is that we need something machinable so the popcorn or bead style will not work. I've machined high density foam before with great results but nothing this thick. Also one of our criteria is manufacturability and laminating will have a big impact on this aspect so we definitely want to go with solid blocks that are already thick enough for what we need.

Unfortunately my Edge build will have to be put on pause for the next couple weeks while I work on this.
Because you have no location information in your profile, offering advice on where to obtain foam (or anything else for that matter) is pretty useless.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Dec 16, 2015, 05:27 AM
Find More Posts by Soufiani
Crash,fly,crash again....
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Mar 2015
131 Posts
You can try XPS-Foam if you have it in your town.
Soufiani is offline Find More Posts by Soufiani
Old Dec 16, 2015, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by birdofplay
Retired CAD guy
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
10,843 Posts
builder supply places used to have really thick foam offerings

RCFoam.com has this
http://www.rcfoam.com/depron-and-epp...f738f898b8e5a1
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
AMA 46133
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
6,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap5t View Post
I need helping finding where to order foam stock. I need high density foam that can be cut using hot wire cutting and can also be machined similar to the insulation sheets at Lowe's or Home Depot. For my wings I need sheets that are 2 inches thick. For the fuselage I need blocks that are at least 5 inches thick which I am having a very hard time finding.
What wrong with the insulation sheets at Home Depot or Lowes?

Usually construction supplies can get you large sheets. Contractors use the foam for as you guessed insulation and they also use them for forming concrete.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave