Old Feb 24, 2004, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by spiderflyer
stop talking and go fly
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Mar 2002
189 Posts
Pittsburgh Flying ?

Anyone on this board live in the Pittsburgh area?

If so where is a good place to fly. I have recently moved into the area and have yet to find a good field or a LHS worth a Damn.

I am living in the North Hills area.

Thanks

- and Go Steelers !!
spiderflyer is offline Find More Posts by spiderflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2004, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by EABiker
FREDERICK, MD
Joined Jul 2003
197 Posts
A relocated Pittsburgher here........South Park is a good starting point for contacting flyers and getting info on a good LHS. I know they have a glow field there and I'm sure you can find a windless, sunny day to go out and find some flyers this time of year!
EABiker is offline Find More Posts by EABiker
Old Feb 25, 2004, 09:34 AM
stop talking and go fly
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Mar 2002
189 Posts
Southpark is a good spot, only problem it is about 45 to an hour from where I am living....

Not many calm days here in the Burg,,,, And I don't remember what the sun looks like.... I should be able to get my slow stick in the air at least once or twice in the next three months... LOL
Old Feb 25, 2004, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by GtoEpower
Penn Hills, PA
Joined Feb 2004
29 Posts
North Park?

What kind of plane do you fly?

There are serveral great RC Clubs in the Greater Tri Valley area!
GtoEpower is offline Find More Posts by GtoEpower
Old Feb 25, 2004, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
697 Posts
They just opened a club field in North Park this year. I haven't flown there, but stopped over to look at it (no one was there) and it didn't look very good to me. Only a small clearing with big trees completely around. Even the glow fliers I talked to say it's a tough place to fly. RC flying isn't allowed anywhere else in the park (even electric). The North Park Soccer Complex is a nice place to fly electrics and I flew there for over a year before the County Police stopped and told me it wasn't allowed. There is a MARS club that has a club field in Zelienople but I haven't been there.

Spiderflyer I sent you a PM.

Jim
Jim Taylor is online now Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by RichieRich
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
231 Posts
I'm sorry that you guys are having so much trouble finding decent weather and fields to fly in . I lived in Moon twp but could never really get a good chance to fly anywhere cause the weather really sucked but I knew that there were a bunch of older folk that flew somewhere in Beaver. Check the phone book in Beaver County for the LHS and ask them Hope this helps. I finally gave up and Moved to Arizona. Now I fly with these guys everyday of the year. I you give up , come see us!Chandler Arizona Chandler Bowl Field

Good Luck and happy flyin. Hope the sun comes out soon

RichieRich
RichieRich is offline Find More Posts by RichieRich
Old Mar 16, 2004, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
697 Posts
Richie, Go ahead, rub it in about the weather. It's snowing again today - forecast is 2 - 6". And when the sun does come out this time of year so does the wind. Every time I go to Tuscon on business I wonder why I come back, and looking at Kevin's (WattNoise) pictures in the Aerial Photography Forum doesn't help any. Oh well, the weather will improve soon -- and at least we have water.

Jim
Jim Taylor is online now Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by RichieRich
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
231 Posts
Sorry Jim

Its just a ritual about this time of year for all of us Phoenicians. Well get ours in about 1.5 months rest assured. Come visit our field next time your out. I personally still fly when it is about 115 degrees out. My threshold is between 118 and 121 degrees. You got skis on your planes?
RichieRich is offline Find More Posts by RichieRich
Old Mar 17, 2004, 03:57 AM
Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Take a gander over at the Hobby Express by
7 fields mall. Its right off of 228. I work in Allison Park myself but don't even have enough time to eat lunch let alone fly.
I know there is a field near Zelienople off of route 19.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Mar 17, 2004, 04:00 PM
stop talking and go fly
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Mar 2002
189 Posts
This weather Suxs!!!

Snow and sleet and Rain and Wind !!!

Between work schedule and weather I haven't been in the air in almost 2 weeks... And the last time I flew I probably shouldn't have (windy).

Jim: I have recieved your PMs Thank you for the flying location tips. I found a smaller Baseball field that is not too bad for the SS a bit small but works. It is very close to my house 10 minute walk 2 minute car ride. The Outfield fence reads 198 , Surrounded by trees and woods. A little scarey but convinent.

Keep in touch Pittsburghers and pray for better weather this weekend!

Spider
Old Mar 17, 2004, 08:56 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Spider, its tuff around here. We're at the point where the warm air from the south meets the north cold air. Then the winds push this crap east...right where we live. I think we have less amount of sunny days compared to those that live up near Seattle.
Its always gray and cloudy here.

Dave...
Old Apr 07, 2004, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by BleakleyS
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Dec 2000
60 Posts
Spiderflyer, I to live in the north of pittsburgh. There are several fields around depending on what kind of flying you do.
Drop me an email and maybe we can meet up. I would be glad to show you the fields that I know.
Scott
BleakleyS is offline Find More Posts by BleakleyS
Old Apr 07, 2004, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Hi guys,

Allow me to chime in here as I could use an RC buddy or two.
I live in Penn Hills -know where JC Hobbies is? I can walk there, it's that close
I fly smallish ~40" electric slowflyers at Linton School, Penn Hills Park and am tempted to try the field at Boyce Park.
Drop me a note if we're near enough to try to get together?

-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Apr 07, 2004, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by rcav8r2
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Live in the west (by the "real" airport) and work in the north (Warrendale, Hint the buildings all look like they fell over ) Would love to have a place near work to fly. Occationally fly in the paking lot at work, but Dusk Sticks and Coronas are about it there.....just like the back yard. Have a Diddlebug almost ready to roll so I can add that one to the list

If you want to make a trip out to near Star Swamp...errr Star Lake, or Post Gazette, or what ever it's called now, I fly at the ARCS. (http://davew.gparcs.com/directions.html) WIDE open. Mostly slimers, but I'm converting them one by one Come on out..I'm there almost every weekend.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Apr 08, 2004, 04:16 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
rcav, I used to work in warrendale. Worked for FORE Systems and Marconi. Had 7 years in there before the telecom industry hit the toilet.

Dave...