New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2015, 11:53 PM
Find More Posts by heliofarye
Joined Aug 2006
70 Posts
Discussion
Where do you buy?

Hello all,

I have been around composite structures off and on for several years from research projects while working for a lab while in school to formula Atlantic racing to teaching composites at an A&P school.
I am finally ready to do a serious project for myself.

Where do you buy supplies? Also looking for very light structural Carbon fiber. Something in the 1oz / yd2 range. Any suggestions?
thanks
Charles
Memphis TN
heliofarye is offline Find More Posts by heliofarye
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2015, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by Trey4U
United States, AL, Daphne
Joined Nov 2009
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliofarye View Post
Hello all,

I have been around composite structures off and on for several years from research projects while working for a lab while in school to formula Atlantic racing to teaching composites at an A&P school.

Where do you buy supplies? Also looking for very light structural Carbon fiber. Something in the 1oz / yd2 range. Any suggestions?
thanks
Charles
Memphis TN
Here are a few places:

Composite Envisions
CST

This isn't a woven fabric but unidirectional carbon tows held together with a sizing agent:
Carboline
Trey4U is offline Find More Posts by Trey4U
Last edited by Trey4U; Jan 08, 2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added Carboline
Old Jan 08, 2015, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by Rudy F
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Nov 2004
190 Posts
Quote:
thanks
Charles
Memphis TN
You picked some of the most expensive composite fabric around. Hope you don't have a beer budget!
Rudy F is offline Find More Posts by Rudy F
Old Jan 08, 2015, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,826 Posts
What is the serious project?
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Old Jan 08, 2015, 06:45 PM
Joined Aug 2006
70 Posts
Hey Jim,
I am going to copy either a Splendor or Semitar as full composite structure. Playing with using geodesic rib pattern and sewn layers instead of foam filled. There will still be some foam in the ribs. Plan to use infusion. Back in the day around early 80s a fellow named Smith was working with early composite plane design and he would do wet layup on foam and then "chem mill" the foam out by chemical. I worked at Raspet Aerophysics lab at Mississippi State University. They actually had a horton wing there but was gone by the time I arrived.
Then may look toward building a serious sail plane.
And then go full scale.
Too many dreams but some happen.
Charles
BTW I got laughed at when I proposed 3d printing parts in the mid 80's while I was in the defense industry.
Old Jan 08, 2015, 06:53 PM
Joined Aug 2006
70 Posts
Yep, there goes the mortgage money. Glad I was conservative about teaching projects at school. May go offer to teach if they build the parts I like
Old Jan 08, 2015, 07:27 PM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
7,826 Posts
Simple request and you get all these questions!

Quote:
Hey Jim,
I am going to copy either a Splendor or Semitar as full composite structure.
Got pictures or plans or links? Could not find anything when I Googled the first one
Quote:
............................... wet layup on foam and then "chem mill" the foam out by chemical.
What is now commonly referred to as the "Lost Foam Method" I suspect.
Quote:
Too many dreams but some happen.
That's good; keep the dreams rolling................
.................................................. ............

I know, you just want to know where to obtain your 25 gsm carbon fabric and you receive all these extra questions from the likes of me! Sorry about that, but it does help to know the details.
Since you are in the US, I would try Soller Composites. However, there are many suppliers to choose from there.
Old Jan 08, 2015, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by Trey4U
United States, AL, Daphne
Joined Nov 2009
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson View Post
Since you are in the US, I would try Soller Composites. However, there are many suppliers to choose from there.
Yep, Google is your friend. Google carbon fiber cloth, Textreme, Carboline, spread tow and you'll be busy for hours looking over all the carbon on the market.

Trey
Trey4U is offline Find More Posts by Trey4U
Old Jan 09, 2015, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,924 Posts
If you decide you need some regular old fiberglass like us poor peons use, then I highly recommend ThayerCraft.

http://www.thayercraft.com/

And note that all prices shown include shipping.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Jan 09, 2015, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2006
70 Posts
Thanks to all and will keep checking for comments.

Hey Jim,
Splendor is a Horizon Hobby F3A ? pattern plane. Flies great may make a pilot out of me see it on this link. Not a sail plane but looks and flies great.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820862
#2 My bad spelling, Carbon-Z Scimitar
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1490761
jet pusher prop looks a lot like a turbine Rookie II by CARF

Chem milling, well it is not technically a term for what was done. Yep lost wax would be a better comparison. The outer wet layup was high grade epoxy and Eglass the epoxy was gasoline proof but the foam was not. They would dissolve the foam out with gasoline. Kids dont do this at home but it works.
Chem milling is actually a process I was around in the Defense industry. They would mask aluminum with same material used to mask circuit cards and time delay dip in acid. longer stay more metal removed. Multi step masking would give step thicknesses. They now use large bed high speed milling to create multi thickness skins even including formers.

Will probably back down to eglass since I did not know the pricing of raw carbon fiber to proof molds.
But the carbon veil stuff is very interesting.
Thanks Charles
I also worked on WWII aircraft. The bladder pattern I made from cardboard and tape for the P51 held 10 more gallons than the originals. I have always been fascinated with molds and layup but best was teaching vacuum bagging. I understood all of it and simply did not tell students I had never done it. Kept the bluff and many students turned out some nice parts.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:41 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
7,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om View Post
If you decide you need some regular old fiberglass like us poor peons use, ..........................
Tom
That's a good starting point. Get your experience with glass/epoxy and lots of it first.
Even if you are experienced in related industries, it takes time to get into the swing of it so to speak.
There are few models flying that could not be built perfectly well with glass as the main reinforcement. Even Dynamic Soaring planes. I just use carbon tow and uni for structural stiffening such as in main spars and fuselage's as longerons.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Joined Aug 2009
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Hello all,

thanks
Charles
Memphis TN
Charles,

I sell Carboweave and have it both two layer CW30 30gsm, CW40 40gsm as well as 3 layer CW60 60gsm stock if you are looking for light Carbon.
Read more here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2161133

I sell this to home builders as well as pro's and the reviews have been very good.

Let me know if you need more info. You can contact me at terfer2@gmail.com

Thanks,

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Jan 11, 2015, 02:45 AM
Find More Posts by saramos
Joined Feb 2007
163 Posts
CST has some 1.5 oz uni fabric here:
http://www.cstsales.com/uni_carbon_fabric.html
saramos is offline Find More Posts by saramos