HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2014, 03:54 PM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amba View Post
Sounds about right. I'm guessing with 8x6 propeller you could also go as high as 1500kv motor for a good 3S setup (I don't see anything wrong with 1250kv, just saying if you already have a 1500kv motor laying around ... no need to buy a new one).

As a general rule, if you see a 4S setup that you like, and want to go for 3S setup that behaves the same, do the following:

- Increase battery capacity (mAh) 33% (keeps same Wh capacity and weight)
- Increase motor KV 33% (keeps same maximal RPM)
- Keep motor weight (which about keeps the same output power)
- Keep prop spec
- Increase ESC amp rating 33%
(also make sure power chords can handle 33% increase in current)

You're done
Thanks. I agree. Lots of folks run 4S on the Skywalker but quite a few successfully use 3S. I'd bet that e-calc or similar program, would come out close on efficiency with prop size being the real variable. If I can get 35 minutes on a 3S 4000mAh battery with the typical FPV pay load, I'll be more than happy.
Now, for the rear wheels....
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Last edited by CN I Dawg; Dec 31, 2014 at 08:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2014, 04:01 PM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
858 Posts
Is there a good build log with all mods. I've looked through this thread and it appears that the typical FPV plane mods are not necessary on the Talon. For example, re-enforcing the wing, cut out foam, moving servos, flaps, etc. About the only thing I recall seeing was strengthening the hatch. There is that rather crude tail skid though.
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Old Jan 15, 2015, 06:40 PM
Joined Apr 2006
81 Posts
What kind of throws are you guys using at the tall? 50/50 or 70 elevator and 30 rudder or nothing at all?
theailer is offline Find More Posts by theailer
Old Jan 17, 2015, 01:41 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
667 Posts
just maidened today. I have my tail at 80 80 i'm on frsky so it may be larger. I had to turn my aileron down a bunch, it was too sensitive.

Apm auto tune tomorrow...
P.I.Engineer is online now Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:53 PM
Joined Apr 2006
81 Posts
Thought I would let you know my talons setup:
4 tgy-2216mg(bit big but all I had)
T-motor AT2216-8 1250kv
Graupner 8x5 E-prop
Rctimer 30A esc
RangeLink lrs
Naze32 flightcontroller
Minimosd with mwosd software
IRC 2.4GHz 700mW vtx with circular wireless cp antenna
25mm 600tvl camera on a fatshark pan and tilt
And I've glassed the wings

Weight without battery:
984gram or 2.17 pounds
AUW with 5000mAh 4s lipo:
1450gram or 3.2 pounds

Yet to fly but I think it will be an awesome plane
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:55 PM
Joined Apr 2006
81 Posts
And a picture as well :-)

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1422035720999.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 75.3 KB
Description:
Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM
Denmark, Nærum
Joined Jan 2012
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymeg View Post
The issue with 3s is you need to run at least a 10 inch prop for a balance of power and efficiency. ...
Johnny, I fail to see the logic in that. Using a motor for 3S operation with 4/3 times the KV value required for the 4S operation motor should provide near-identical performance (bar the higher current losses in the ESC) with the same prop. Can you elaborate?

Mike
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
671 Posts
Are you guys happy with the Mini Talon? I was thinking of getting it as my next FPV platform
guyst is online now Find More Posts by guyst
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Denmark, Nærum
Joined Jan 2012
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyst View Post
Are you guys happy with the Mini Talon? I was thinking of getting it as my next FPV platform
ZaksterBlue did a thorough review in the beginning of this thread - I suggest you check out his conclusion.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Johnny, I fail to see the logic in that. Using a motor for 3S operation with 4/3 times the KV value required for the 4S operation motor should provide near-identical performance (bar the higher current losses in the ESC) with the same prop. Can you elaborate?

Mike
if you use 8 inch on 3s (sunnysky 1250kv) definitely you wont getting same thrust as you get when it run on 3s as it spin slower and produce less thrust with same props due to the lower voltage different of 3s battery 12v compare to 14v for 4s, and with 10 inch you will be scraping the ground with mini talon unless you add a tall landing gear
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
Joined May 2013
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
if you use 8 inch on 3s (sunnysky 1250kv) definitely you wont getting same thrust as you get when it run on 3s as it spin slower and produce less thrust with same props due to the lower voltage different of 3s battery 12v compare to 14v for 4s, and with 10 inch you will be scraping the ground with mini talon unless you add a tall landing gear
I think his point is that he can roughly have the same performance on a 3S if he was using a 1700-1800kv motor.
Stringer is offline Find More Posts by Stringer
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I think his point is that he can roughly have the same performance on a 3S if he was using a 1700-1800kv motor.
well then that a diffrent story i think johnny was mentioning about same motor with diffrent batteries, if getting higher kv motor to run with 3s and with educate thrust to push the plane around why not nothing wrong with it, but normally it hard to find a decent motor that can run small props and efficient
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 03:50 AM
Denmark, Nærum
Joined Jan 2012
1,686 Posts
Yes, my point is that we match the motor to a given prop/airframe. Many of us have small piles of motors lying around - or cheap access to a new one - so we can fairly easily find an identically sized motor of a different KV value.

With the amount of time and money we put into our FPV planes, we are normally prepared to find the right motor to improve endurance and reliability.
Old Today, 08:18 AM
Joined Feb 2010
671 Posts
After going through this thread, I see you guys are having lot's of fun, so I decided to join the party!!!
Is there a New Version" to this Mini Talon? It says so on FPVSTYLE web site:
http://www.fpvstyle.com/plane/kit/mi...el-rc-kit.html
guyst is online now Find More Posts by guyst
Old Today, 09:25 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,757 Posts
I REALLY need to get off my arse and put my Mini Talon together. Relooking at some of the earlier 'user reports' this thing looks like to much fun to just let sit in a box in the garage....
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic