Old Jul 23, 2015, 05:42 AM
Find More Posts by nklkn
It's time to buzz the tower
Australia, VIC, Nunawading
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Build Log
Vought F-8 Crusader

I watched SeaWings: The Last of the Gunfighters the other night and thought to myself "what an awesome plane. I gotta build me one of these". So I looked around the web for plans but there didn't seem to be any around in the style of Steve Shumate. I found a profile version and one super impressive full fuselage F-8 by the seriously talented GGRN. Both were not quite what I was looking for. I enjoy scale appearance too much to go with the profile version and GGRN's version was a little OTT for me. I'd want to put it in the Air and Space Museum after I built it!!

I've been wanting to design and build my own scratch built foamie for a little while now and thought that the F-8 Crusader looked like the perfect one to start with. It's not a complicated design with the obvious exception of the intake. I've built several of Steve's models and he was very generous in offering his design and building approach with me. I started all the work in InkScape but had planned on importing it into SketchUp to finish but that was a bit of a learning curve. In the end, I think the plans came out really well in InkScape despite not having 3D viewability like CAD. My next project will definitely be purely in SketchUp.

Here are the specs so far. The motor/prop combo needs testing so not definite. Depends on the final weight. Hopefully I can keep it below 28oz!

WS: 28.5"
Length: 42"
Est. AUW: ~25-28 oz
Wing Area: 249.77 sq.in. (1.73 sq.ft.)
Wing Loading: 14-16 oz/sq.ft.
Motor: Turnigy SK3 2836 2500kv
Prop: 6x4? 7x4?
Battery: 11.1v 2200maH
ESC: Turnigy Plush 40A? (might be too small)

I'll be uploading build photos and plans onto parkjets.com shortly.

For anyone interested, I'll be uploading build photos more regularly to my picasa web albums account:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1153474...eat=directlink

Neal
nklkn is offline Find More Posts by nklkn
Last edited by nklkn; Jul 26, 2015 at 05:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2015, 05:55 AM
Find More Posts by nuteman
Joined Apr 2013
1,093 Posts
I don't know your flying skill level, but that plane at that scale will be challenging to fly.
Making it 1.5 (or even 2, if possible) times as large will make it a lot more pleasant to fly.
nuteman is online now Find More Posts by nuteman
Old Jul 23, 2015, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by nklkn
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Glider Tests

I've built a 50% version based of some early plans to test out the accuracy of my plans and how/if the thing would fly. I was pleasantly surprised at how stable it flies once the correct CG was found. The plans had a few glitches which I've since ironed out. Looking good so far!

I build the 50% glider in about 30 minutes and carved and shaped it with my knife only so it looks pretty rough. It also has a lot of lovely mud and grass stains! Trust me, the full-size model will have far more love and attention!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 06:24 AM
Find More Posts by nklkn
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Hi nuteman, why do you think it will be challenging to fly? I've based my design closely to the size of my other models which are all Steve's designs. They're all built at 110-120% of the original design and they fly great... no issues. They're probably not really considered park jets; because they do need a bit of room.

Neal
Old Jul 23, 2015, 06:50 AM
Find More Posts by nklkn
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Fuselage

Here we go with the full-size build...

The fuselage is massive. Just like the real thing. I took some cross-section references of the real aircraft and tried to approximate that slight tapering in the forward fuselage. I'm happy so far!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by compressor man
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
256 Posts
Hi Neal,
Your thread caught my attention due to the shear coolness factor of this plane. If you do not mind will you please explain what this means?

"They're all built at 110-120% of the original design "

Chris
compressor man is offline Find More Posts by compressor man
Old Jul 23, 2015, 07:24 AM
Find More Posts by nklkn
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Hi Chris,
By that I meant I scaled Steve's plans up by 10-20%. His planes are all designed to be true park jets; but I like slightly bigger planes so I always scale his plans up.

It is such a cool plane for sure! It's funny, I never really paid much attention to the Crusader until I saw that History Channel documentary.

Neal
Old Jul 23, 2015, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by nuteman
Joined Apr 2013
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nklkn View Post
Hi nuteman, why do you think it will be challenging to fly? I've based my design closely to the size of my other models which are all Steve's designs. They're all built at 110-120% of the original design and they fly great... no issues. They're probably not really considered park jets; because they do need a bit of room.

Neal
It's the AUW relative to the wing area (wing loading) that concerns me. Are your other 28 span planes (with similar layout) that heavy? If they are, I'm guessing they need to be flown very fast to avoid stall (assuming they don't have any fancy features like gyro controlled vertical thrust engines ).
Small scale does not tolerate high wing loading well (high stall speed, twitchy/sensitive control, etc.). I and others talk about this in depth in other posts (do a search).
My 80 inch span flying wing is less weight than your 28 inch plane
nuteman is online now Find More Posts by nuteman
Old Jul 23, 2015, 08:16 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,410 Posts
NICE !!!! Good Luck !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 23, 2015, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by kcolraw
Kcolraw
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Feb 2015
410 Posts
I like this build a ....full fuse crusader . Not to simple not to scale.

Probably to late now but, you could pull a schumate and add square strips in the corner's of the fuse. That way it can be sanded for a more round shape.
kcolraw is offline Find More Posts by kcolraw
Old Jul 23, 2015, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by nklkn
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Thanks gpw !

Kcolraw, if you look closely I have put doublers in the corners. I tried a new method of putting them in after installing the bulkheads. In retrospect I think putting doublers in first and then notching the bulkheads is better because it leaves a nicer finish once the fuse is carved to shape. Oh well nothing wrong with trying something new!

Nuteman, yes many of my other models are of similar size in terms of wing area and weight and they fly just fine. My F4, F15, F18, F22 and JAS 39 are all approximately the same size and weight with similar wing areas and loadings. 30-34oz is only an estimate based on those other models. I've got a spreadsheet with some calculations for MAC, wing area and wing loading which I'll post soon.

Neal
Old Jul 23, 2015, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by nklkn
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Actually, after thinking about it a bit more I think my guess at the estimated AUW is incorrect. I haven't weighed all the foam and the power system I have in mind is lighter than the ones I use on my other models. I'm guessing that it will be around the 23-26oz mark which makes the wing loading around 14oz/sq.ft. A little high but I don't think it should affect the flight characteristics that badly. I definitely don't want a floater and the higher loading will help with stability and gusts. Landings and takeoffs will be a little faster but I'm hoping the addition of flaperons will help with that.

Neal
Old Jul 23, 2015, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by nklkn
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Here's my working spreadsheet so far on the basics. Once I get the foam and all the components weighed, I'll have a better idea of the AUW and expected wing loading.
Last edited by nklkn; Jul 23, 2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by nklkn
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
A few more build pics. Here's the stabilators. I've used 4mm carbon fiber tubes and I'm using the same technique for the control horn and stoppers as in Steve's builds. The motor mount is coming next.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by nklkn
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
I've now weighed the foam, electrics, wiring, motor and battery and added about a 2.5oz contingency to that. Updated auw is 23.7oz so I was way off in my initial estimate.

I'll update my initial posthought for the auw.