New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Oct 2014
379 Posts
Discussion
Big E-Fair Electric Glider Balsa 2500mm (ARF)

Hello;

As anyone ever flown this, I am thinking about getting it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html
Alienmenacet54 is online now Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by uncookedlentil
United States, WA, Jefferson County
Joined Jan 2008
101 Posts
just started my build, parts fit well, very lite for it's size, finishes and coverings are very well done! It's a bit of a soap bubble, calm day flights only, I'll let you know how it performs against Radians in ALES contests.
uncookedlentil is offline Find More Posts by uncookedlentil
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:42 AM
Joined Oct 2014
379 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I am looking at this for a second glider while I am building my Sig Riser's.
The only glider I have ready for flight is a Great Planes Electric Spectra that my Brother bought in 2004, but never flew it. Trying to get back into r/c after 27 yr nap.

What motor are you thinking of using, I am going to in a Turnigy GliderDrive 3850/960kv or the 3850/1400. I have to do some more research on it. Someone had told me that the 960kv will work for the Riser 100 also.

Thank you
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienmenacet54 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I am looking at this for a second glider while I am building my Sig Riser's.
The only glider I have ready for flight is a Great Planes Electric Spectra that my Brother bought in 2004, but never flew it. Trying to get back into r/c after 27 yr nap.

What motor are you thinking of using, I am going to in a Turnigy GliderDrive 3850/960kv or the 3850/1400. I have to do some more research on it. Someone had told me that the 960kv will work for the Riser 100 also.

Thank you
I've got the 960kv version of that motor in an electrified OLY IIS I built, and it does the job really well. It won't go vertical, but I'm not doing ALES so it doesn't matter. Climbs out nicely on a 2650 3S battery turning a 12x6 prop on a 40 amp ESC. A real nice feature is the rear connection for the ESC wires.

It might be a little overkill for the Riser 100.
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Apr 25, 2015, 08:30 PM
Joined Oct 2014
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
I've got the 960kv version of that motor in an electrified OLY IIS I built, and it does the job really well. It won't go vertical, but I'm not doing ALES so it doesn't matter. Climbs out nicely on a 2650 3S battery turning a 12x6 prop on a 40 amp ESC. A real nice feature is the rear connection for the ESC wires.

It might be a little overkill for the Riser 100.
HeeHee, then it is certainly is over kill for my Great Planes "Spectra" then, because that where a 960kv sits. It was a suggested to me by someone else on this forum. It took place of a brushed T-600 Electrify. The Spectra requirement said flying weight be 3lbs. I got it down to now 2.15lbs. This motor, 40amp SBec and a 3s 30C 2200 lipo.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by bugbyyyy
Joined Apr 2015
4 Posts
My Big E-Fair flies Better than I expected, has less wing area than my OLY 11 or spirit 100, I raised the leading edge of the wing about a 1/4 inch, and have a turnigy 3536, hobbywing 50 amp esc. Getting it together took longer than expected, but its modeling so no surprise.
bugbyyyy is offline Find More Posts by bugbyyyy
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:51 PM
Joined Oct 2014
379 Posts
Cool
Did you have to ordered it International? I'm hoping it get stocked in the U.S.

Can you post a picture of the inside of the bays, to see how put everything.
Last edited by Alienmenacet54; Apr 27, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:41 PM
Joined Apr 2015
4 Posts
I will get a pic up soon I hope, got it from the US warehouse, see there not in stock. Not
sure I would order it from the international warehouse to US.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:50 AM
Joined Apr 2015
4 Posts
Motor cowl is 10oz fruit plastic bottle.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 04:19 AM
Joined Oct 2014
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbyyyy View Post
Motor cowl is 10oz fruit plastic bottle.
Cool Thank you very much.
No I will wait till it is stocked back in the US WH.
Old May 25, 2015, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by Deckrat
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Put the maiden flight on mine this morning. Light wind, and a few sprinkles of rain.

I'm running mine on a Turnigy 3542/6 1000 KV motor with a 40 amp Turnigy Plush ESC. 3S 2200 Nano-Tech 45-90 C battery. Also using a 13X6.5 Graupner folding prop on a 50mm MPI folding spinner.

Not quite vertical, but it climbed out very nicely. Ailerons are more effective than I thought they would be, and using rudder in the turns really tightens them up for such a large span. Landing was no problem, as it just floated in on a slight headwind. All in all, I think it's a pretty good value for the money it takes to buy it.

Also, I plan on pulling LED light strips through the wings and installing more lights on the fuse & tail for our club night flights.
Deckrat is offline Find More Posts by Deckrat
Old May 25, 2015, 03:18 PM
Joined Oct 2014
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckrat View Post
Put the maiden flight on mine this morning. Light wind, and a few sprinkles of rain.

I'm running mine on a Turnigy 3542/6 1000 KV motor with a 40 amp Turnigy Plush ESC. 3S 2200 Nano-Tech 45-90 C battery. Also using a 13X6.5 Graupner folding prop on a 50mm MPI folding spinner.

Not quite vertical, but it climbed out very nicely. Ailerons are more effective than I thought they would be, and using rudder in the turns really tightens them up for such a large span. Landing was no problem, as it just floated in on a slight headwind. All in all, I think it's a pretty good value for the money it takes to buy it.

Also, I plan on pulling LED light strips through the wings and installing more lights on the fuse & tail for our club night flights.
Great! Finally a review on this. Thank you very much.
Old May 25, 2015, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by Deckrat
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
My pleasure. I've had it sitting in the box for a couple months, so it was about time to get it in the air. I'm looking forward to trying some thermal hunting with it on a warmer day.

I'd like to add that the things I didn't like were the poor alignment of the wing joiner rods, the fit of the canopy frame, (I ended up using a dowel in the front, and magnets on a scratch built brace at the back) and the tiny 3mm bolts for the wing hold down on the trailing edge. I think maybe some slightly larger nylon bolts would be better if you touch a wingtip down on landing.

Aside from the minor fit problems though, the construction was very good, and the covering needed only minor heating to tighten it up in a few places.
Deckrat is offline Find More Posts by Deckrat
Old May 25, 2015, 09:36 PM
Joined Oct 2014
379 Posts
Hopefully in August, I will be able to get one. If it is in stock in the US.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by ottmar1
Joined Jun 2015
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbyyyy View Post
My Big E-Fair flies Better than I expected, has less wing area than my OLY 11 or spirit 100, I raised the leading edge of the wing about a 1/4 inch, and have a turnigy 3536, hobbywing 50 amp esc. Getting it together took longer than expected, but its modeling so no surprise.
I am just starting to work on putting the plane together and I am curious how you handled the the connections of the outer wings to the center part, how to connect the servo leads and the connecting pins every time you take them apart and connect them.

....Ott
ottmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ottmar1