Find More Posts by Hondajet
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2008
2,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkster View Post
Unwrapped my f-86 last night.
I went with the lux version to have the extra performance on ROG grass field ops. I do have access to a Tarmac/concrete strip too but it gets a little rough in places.

Over the last week I have read the entire thread so am ready to set mine up with the excellent advice you have all provided. Especially Hondajet, thanks for all the explanations on getting the CG right.

Although I opened the box last night (to check nothing was damaged!) it's technically a birthday present from my wife so may have to wait a little longer before it gets built and maiden flights happen.

Really looking forward to this one

One another note, can the TST be used on other aircraft to establish a good CG?
Thanks for the credits there too porkster .... but there were others too that introduced the TST here before I elaborated and test confirmed it with my posts on confirming CG to be a lot further rearward at around the 200mm point and contrary to what the Freewing Manual stated.

No..... the TST will probably not work as well on other models to the same degree, as the Swept Wing design for its more involved CG calculation is partly responsible for that.
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Last edited by Hondajet; Jul 26, 2015 at 09:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:58 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2008
2,891 Posts
Quote:
The wife caved and I got my way!
Built and maidened yesterday.
Few things:

One main gear was very stiff on compression compared to the other side.
The star and bars sticker on the fuselage was quite out of alignment compared to the tail.

Minor issues really.

I dropped the esc down to gain a cg of 200mm and got a good tail sit test.

Maidened in the afternoon with three flights.
Performance was excellent and required very little runway to what I was expecting - very pleased with that.

Only thing I didn't like was it never felt totally solid and was very sensitive to elevator. Kinda got me thinking I was tail heavy.
I checked cg again and I was a little aft of the 200mm but still within what would be considered ok.
I added some DR to the elevator on another flight mode to 60% which made it a little less like a kangaroo in the sky, only trouble was I forgot to flick back to 100% for the landing and did a lovely bounce down the runway compounded by the fact I still had one main leg stiffer than the other! Not my finest work

Plane made it out ok though, a little touch up to a wing tip and back in action, I was going to try her again today moving the battery further forward to make it 'feel' more locked in but it's been raining all day.
Instead I altered the cockpit, moving the pilot forward and adding some non scale, scale details.
I also painted my drop tanks as Inspired by Kingcavy.
Don't shoot me down for the modern dash, it was the only spare setup I had, I know it should be all dials not screens.

No .... I would not take the CG back further than the 200mm position for comfort. Anywhere between 195 -200 will balance ok with the TST working correctly by shifting your battery position to adjust the required TST action.

Also make sure your Elevator is set at the right Trim position as per the picture in the Freewing Manual.... and dial in a little more expo on your elevator action if you find it sensitive to dampen things out for your there.

The sticking oleo on one of your Main Gear legs is due to one of the small screws holding the plastic doors on the leg binding on the suspension action. You may have to trim it a little but be careful not to strip the threads, if so you will have to replace with a cut off larger small screw.... as I have done already.
Last edited by Hondajet; Jul 26, 2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by josepy121380
United States, WI, Milw
Joined Jun 2015
13 Posts
I did the maiden on mine yesterday as well. Removed the wood above the esc yada yada. None of this should have to be done. Why do they not have all the radio stuff in the front then and the battery location where it should be. All in all i like the plane. Need to fix a couple few things. The left side gear didnt go up which was weird as i tested it numerous times before i took off. Its sounds awesome. Took her off of grass so that took a bit for her to get up. Grass is cut really short and it goes through it easily.
josepy121380 is offline Find More Posts by josepy121380
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by Suenaga
Jim Lafferty
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Feb 2014
2,606 Posts
Quote:
The wife caved and I got my way!
Built and maidened yesterday.
Few things:

One main gear was very stiff on compression compared to the other side.
The star and bars sticker on the fuselage was quite out of alignment compared to the tail.

Minor issues really.

I dropped the esc down to gain a cg of 200mm and got a good tail sit test.

Maidened in the afternoon with three flights.
Performance was excellent and required very little runway to what I was expecting - very pleased with that.

Only thing I didn't like was it never felt totally solid and was very sensitive to elevator. Kinda got me thinking I was tail heavy.
I checked cg again and I was a little aft of the 200mm but still within what would be considered ok.
I added some DR to the elevator on another flight mode to 60% which made it a little less like a kangaroo in the sky, only trouble was I forgot to flick back to 100% for the landing and did a lovely bounce down the runway compounded by the fact I still had one main leg stiffer than the other! Not my finest work

Plane made it out ok though, a little touch up to a wing tip and back in action, I was going to try her again today moving the battery further forward to make it 'feel' more locked in but it's been raining all day.
Instead I altered the cockpit, moving the pilot forward and adding some non scale, scale details.
I also painted my drop tanks as Inspired by Kingcavy.
Don't shoot me down for the modern dash, it was the only spare setup I had, I know it should be all dials not screens.
Congrats!

Check the little screws that hold the main gear covers on. They can go in too far and block the gear from compressing.

Jim
Suenaga is offline Find More Posts by Suenaga
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Pulse 15e w/SAFE Rx
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by porkster
United Kingdom, England, Bury St Edmunds
Joined Jul 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondajet View Post
No I would not take the CG back further than the 200mm position for comfort. Anywhere between 195 -200 will balance ok with the TST working correctly by shifting your battery position to adjust the required TST action.

Also make sure your Elevator is set at the right Trim position as per the picture in the Freewing Manual.... and dial in a little more expo on your elevator action if you find it sensitive to dampen things out for your there.

The sticking oleo on one of your Main Gear legs is due to one of the small screws holding the plastic doors on the leg binding on the suspension action. You may have to trim it a little but be careful not to strip the threads, if so you will have to replace with a cut off larger small screw.... as I have done already.

I've done the elevator trim position as shown in the manual.
I removed the small screws from the strut but it was still very stiff, it is binding on the inside, maybe its just got a badly machined strut. I've filled it was grease and kept working it until it's now as easy to compress as the other strut.

Just a shame I couldn't get out today to try a few more things and get it really dialled in.

All in all I'm very happy with it, just a few tweaks to get it to the way I like.
porkster is online now Find More Posts by porkster
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by mikester
Los Angeles Intl, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
392 Posts
WoW! take a few months breather for my kid's baseball and work stuff and come back and we're still talking about the CG and Elevator?

I put a flight on mine today and have been out once or twice during the week over the last few weeks. I still love it.
mikester is offline Find More Posts by mikester
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:26 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2008
2,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepy121380 View Post
I did the maiden on mine yesterday as well. Removed the wood above the esc yada yada. None of this should have to be done. Why do they not have all the radio stuff in the front then and the battery location where it should be. All in all i like the plane. Need to fix a couple few things. The left side gear didnt go up which was weird as i tested it numerous times before i took off. Its sounds awesome. Took her off of grass so that took a bit for her to get up. Grass is cut really short and it goes through it easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
WoW! take a few months breather for my kid's baseball and work stuff and come back and we're still talking about the CG and Elevator?

I put a flight on mine today and have been out once or twice during the week over the last few weeks. I still love it.

+1 too

Just too much info to go back through on this subject..... and some do not know how to quickly research and scroll through the thread hints to correct issues on this model by referring to the "Show Attachments in this Thread" tab on the Thread Tools top of page link. Here I have posted like all the others, images of what has been done with descriptions etc.

You can then access the relative post via the link at the bottom of that image.

All in all, the CG relocation to what Freewing originally gave has been well researched and discussed here before. There are obviously some shortfalls in model testing and correct aerodynamic calculations listed owing to perhaps release date and marketing issues that prevent this proper process occurring.

Or the Freewing design team for that particular model are just not savvy of the proper aerodynamic calculations for that.

If you look at other Sabre model designs published on the net, the CG location is always aft of the end area of the Canopy's rear location. The Freewing user manuals location is clearly incorrect and well ahead of that area at 170-180mm range.

There was also the reporting of significant correcting Trim being required after lift off, as a result of this well forward CG position in the early test flying of this model by its pilots.

The CG position on the Full Size is also a little more rearward the the 200mm location on this model and the measurements and calculations I did for it also place the CG more rearward than the 200mm too.

I gave the explanation for that being the Model did not have the same mass distribution and weight ratios of its Full size in Metal and Heavy Jet Engine location, that would have placed its CG more rearward in that case, than the end of Canopy location on this Model.
Last edited by Hondajet; Jul 26, 2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:37 PM
Find More Posts by Tartago
Back to EDF
Joined Apr 2006
5,523 Posts
The same happened to me: one spring was locked and the other free, my first 2 landings were awful, later I locked both and she lands beautifully now.
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by porkster
United Kingdom, England, Bury St Edmunds
Joined Jul 2013
84 Posts
More flights today and I've pretty much got her dialled in.

Absolutely love it, and it was a great hit at the club too.
porkster is online now Find More Posts by porkster
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by josepy121380
United States, WI, Milw
Joined Jun 2015
13 Posts
I had to cut out more foam on mine too so the battery would go back far enough. I really enjoy this jet. Its a hit at the club too.
josepy121380 is offline Find More Posts by josepy121380