SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by SafeLandings
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
5,017 Posts
I was having a play with my new toy last Sunday trying different ideas on how to capture footage.
The aerial stuff is just setting the quad up in position and letting it hold its heading in GPS mode. As you can see it was quite breezy but it is certainly doable on my own but quite hard to judge the distance when flying near the quad.

Quad filming (3 min 56 sec)

Rich
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
714 Posts
Err! does that mean you could have a mid air collision with yourself
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
31,508 Posts
Very interesting....but I assume, since I see nobody else holding a transmitter, that you just have the quad in a hover mode, and nobody is actually in control of it?? With the attitudes that the FAA has towards UAVs in the U.S., this would go over like a lead balloon here....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by SafeLandings
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
5,017 Posts
Same over here Steve, guess that makes me a bad egg!

Chas,
In theory yes! but I have a vision of footage being taken from a fixed position whilst a Whip off is going on!

Rich
Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
31,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
Same over here Steve, guess that makes me a bad egg!

Chas,
In theory yes! but I have a vision of footage being taken from a fixed position whilst a Whip off is going on!

Rich
Not really, as where you are flying doesn't seem to be particularly crowded. If there were a lot of people around I would think it would be a bit different...

The videos where I see people flying inside of malls, over peoples head on crowded boardwalks, or over crowds in stadiums are the ones that make me cringe, as every time I see one of those on YouTube or other social media, I think, wow...if I'm seeing it, probably somebody from the FAA is too, and while the only quad I have is one of the small Hubsan toy ones, I have been considering buying/building something bigger/better, and I fear that about the time I do, the FAA or somebody will outlaw them..

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Apr 28, 2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old May 21, 2015, 01:51 AM
Find More Posts by mumble
United Kingdom, Beccles
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
My Whippit is now on the building board so to speak, (as well as repairing my Atom). I am having a go at making my own blades and they are 450 x 44, similar to the AJ ones, (maybe a little thicker), having read about a number of tail strikes I was thinking of using a head plate the same size as the Atom. Does this make sense and should it fly on this set up?
Cheers
Bob
mumble is offline Find More Posts by mumble
Old May 21, 2015, 03:00 AM
Find More Posts by Graham L
Joined Jul 2014
102 Posts
Bob

If you use the standard size head plate you can make a circular disc in 0.8 f/glass which just goes underneath the normal head plate with the edge just touching all 3 edges of the main plate. This stops the tail strikes but leaves enough flex to operate normally.

If you order a Whippitt head plate from Malcolm at Coolwind it will come with this.

Graham
Graham L is offline Find More Posts by Graham L
Old May 21, 2015, 05:22 AM
United Kingdom, Beccles
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
Thanks Graham,
My thinking is that the Atom plate is smaller and more economical with the glass sheet, (I'm not really miserly!), also would be quicker by only having to make one piece.
Cheers
Bob
Old May 22, 2015, 03:26 AM
Joined Jul 2014
102 Posts
Bob

The Atom plate should work OK , Will just increase the overall disk loading slightly with being smaller. Also less space from bolt hole to centre hub of the plate and will do more damage to the back of the blades in the event of a tip over and fold back. Careful shaping of the root will help this.

Graham
Old Jun 02, 2015, 12:23 PM
United Kingdom, Beccles
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
Thanks Graham, had a long think about it and will go with the bigger plate, read Rich's Atom thread and he said that he only drew it that size to squeeze it into the magazine.
Another question, making my blades, one came out at about 5 or 6 grams more than the other two although from the same sheet! Are they scrap or would it work by inlaying a thin piece of lead along the intersection of the chord and span wise CoGs??
Old Jun 02, 2015, 01:38 PM
United Kingdom, Beccles
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
Ooops, suddenly remembered that I used up the rest of the sheet of balsa and glued it to a bit of spruce to make a fourth blade if needed. (Senior moment!) Just weighed it and it should come out a lot nearer to the two lighter blades once shaped.
Last edited by mumble; Jun 02, 2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 03:09 PM
Joined Jul 2014
102 Posts
Hi Mumble.

You are right , if you use a thin strip of lead placed along the chordwise C of G and position it so that the spanwise c of g matches the other blades that works fine. ideally you want the blades to have a spanwise C of G within 2-3 mm of each other otherwise you may get vibration.

Graham