New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2015, 01:09 AM
Find More Posts by fredmdbud
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
I hear a lot of pilots talking about paint sample from home depot. Ive tryed 6 times with lowes, and 2 times with home depot. and they can never match the paint. the jars are cheap.... nobody can match.

Might depend on what kind of light you are using during comparison - have you compared test swatches under day, incandescent and fluorescent lights? Since you're unlikely to fly indoors, it should be compared in daylight
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2015, 01:13 AM
Find More Posts by fredmdbud
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinton View Post
Ah ok thanks. Just thought the fact it came with a 130A ESC and only draws 75A is a bit of a waste of an ESC?

Not necessarily - that kind of margin usually means the ESC isn't scorching hot, especially after a full-throttle-heavy flight. Better reliability for that part of the power system.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jul 23, 2015, 08:28 AM
Find More Posts by tdford
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
I hear a lot of pilots talking about paint sample from home depot. Ive tryed 6 times with lowes, and 2 times with home depot. and they can never match the paint. the jars are cheap.... nobody can match.
Lowes was spot on for me. I did "flat" instead of "eggshell" for this jet. All my others are eggshell finish.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
Old Jul 23, 2015, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by heychas
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Lowes was spot on for me. I did "flat" instead of "eggshell" for this jet. All my others are eggshell finish.
TDFord - do you mind sharing the paint make-up composition? You know... the ratios of colors so that anyone could just have them make up a pint?

Thanks!
Charlie

PS - I tried using Testors Aircraft Gray and it is a horrible match. It makes my plane look like it has camo :-)
heychas is offline Find More Posts by heychas
Last edited by heychas; Jul 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by Evan D
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
7,020 Posts
Same here with the paint. I don't remember them putting anything on the little jar about the composition but I'll look when I'm home this weekend.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by Squinton
Joined Mar 2014
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Not necessarily - that kind of margin usually means the ESC isn't scorching hot, especially after a full-throttle-heavy flight. Better reliability for that part of the power system.
Makes sense! Thanks for your help
Squinton is offline Find More Posts by Squinton
Old Jul 23, 2015, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by tdford
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,847 Posts
I'll look at the lid and see whats there for composition.

Got 3 flights in last night. My 2yr old broke off the missile rail. Gotta love EPS.

It's still one of my favorites to fly. With the vectoring you can pretty much do whatever you want.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
Old Jul 23, 2015, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Evan D
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
7,020 Posts
+1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
i'll look at the lid and see whats there for composition.

Got 3 flights in last night. My 2yr old broke off the missile rail. Gotta love eps.

It's still one of my favorites to fly. With the vectoring you can pretty much do whatever you want.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by Laserdude
Nampa,ID
Joined Aug 2001
45 Posts
I have been doing a lot with painting foam planes lately and I have had really good matches at Home Depot. Our Lowes only offers their samples in eggshell and that doesn't work as well on the flat finish of the 18. Get the sample in the flat finish. This formula was a perfect match to my 18 but it was matched to the elevator from my plane. It may not match another plane as well as I have seen on my A10 the finish does vary some from plane to plane and it might on the 18 also.

Also, be careful if you take a part in to have it matched. On one occasion the paint clerk dropped the paint jar on the part which put a dent in it.
Laserdude is offline Find More Posts by Laserdude