Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:30 PM
United States, CT, Old Lyme
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
I have always built the gnat and SNS with 4mm coro. I figured the wing would be stronger with span wise flutes.
paintmann111 is offline Find More Posts by paintmann111
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:15 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,454 Posts
spad stuff

OK check out Spadtothebone.com as recomended before. Both flute directions have been used depending on the model. Flutes going chord wise arch better for the wing top curvature. A piece of span wise coro is often inserted as the aileron so the flute can be cut to make the aileron hinge...just depends on the bird.
Coro weight can be an issue, however birds in the larger 40 and up size can be made with resonable weights. For example the 40 size spad trainers are just fine weight wise, ( Spadet and Debonair) I would recomend either as a first plane.
Wing folding without warping is an art and is best done with a spare set of hands. So call your flyin buddy and "eat the cost of a pizza" ... save the box!

used signs are more fun, especially politcal signage!!!
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:51 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
211 Posts
Around 1976 or so, our club in PA purchased a Flying Lawnmower balsa kit, and one of our members built it. Only our top flier had the nerve to fly it. It was very stange to see it fly. On one landing things went wrong and the Mower was totaled. Nothing but toothpicks left. After I first learned about building planes from Coroplast plastic material, and started building them, I thought about that old Balsa Flying Lawnmower. It looked like a perfect match, because the Coroplast was so much more rugged. I designed one, built it, tested it, made changes, then built a new model incorporating all of the changes. I flew the new model for about 5 years. Eventually it had a major electronic failure and was totaled. Actually, there is no damage to the Coroplast, so it can be rebuilt. At age 77, I have difficulty working up the enthusiasm for a heavy project. Here is a photo of it in the air.
villapilote is online now Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:45 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
211 Posts
Here are a couple of more Coroplast R/C planes:
villapilote is online now Find More Posts by villapilote