HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:14 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
594 Posts
metal swivels or rings

In Dayton our turn-arounds stop the chute. So as others have described we need to retrieve the chutes and pull the turn arounds before winding the 2nd half of the line. Also similar to Gil's and other description we keep our bodies to the side of the line, keep the brakes on, tap slowly. We use the folded over glove (not worn on the hand but held loosely.

One thing I didn't see yet was the metal on the line. Our only metal is the ring at the end of the chute that hooks on your tow hook. We fasten our F3X style chutes (I get mine from Johnny Berlin) to the winch line via two loops of sting, no metal needed. The knot is the same as used for an airline bag tag around the handle, just pass the chute through the bigger loop tied permanently at the end of the winch line. Maybe most of you all do that as well but since I didn't see it written here I thought I'd post it up here for other's benefit.
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:19 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCLOUD View Post
I forgot my gloves the other day. so I used the top of my hat
Burned a hole right across my favorite Colts hat!

But for our club winches, we made an adapter for the drum and use a cordless drill to wind the line back in, much safer then tapping on the pedal

Blue Skies......................Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
I was thinking the safest way would be a ratcheted cordless drill, with the ratchet... set at a light loading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRay View Post
Similar to the Fresno guys we use a cordless drill motor. We made a simple adapter from a suitable sized hole saw blade and cut two notches to fit over the winch drum thru bolt. A bit slower then pedaling the line in but so much safer.

Ray
Las Vegas Soaring Clkub

Cordless drill is the SAFE way to go!

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:22 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
Thanks guys for the continued awesome content here! I haven't yet looked at my winch but I want to try the cordless drill deal. Also, I thank the several people that mentioned the 2 loop chute attachment deal. I hadn't ever thought about that.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:01 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
I dont have a winch. Instead my bro tows my glider up with my 1/8 rc car. Then drives it back with the line
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:23 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
Attached is a picture of the end of my winch drum. Suggestions on how to connect a cordless drill to it? I'm thinking maybe some kind of cup type attachment, like a hole cutter or something that has been de sharpened and has a notch for that hex bolt that sticks out?

Ryan
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:30 AM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
Make a water-cooled resistor to put in the lead going to the winch motor. It will cut the power of the motor by about 50%, and make spooling up the line easier and safer.

Use a bottle with a large top so getting the wire inside isn't such a hassle. Gatorade makes some, IIRC.

Be sure the water level is ABOVE the butt splices. Any small wire not covered with water will get hot enough to burn the insulation quickly.

You may need a separate wire to deliver full battery voltage to the solenoids, depending on the size of your motor, wiring of the winch, etc.

You can also use this for making the winch tame enough for beginners to use without destroying their planes.
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies
Last edited by rogerflies; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:45 PM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
Did the thread die because my suggestion is the best solution, or was everyone offended by my using the word 'butt'?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:49 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
I don't know if many people are interested in winch line reloading safety, roger. This thread hasn't exactly had a high amount of posts.

I am going to try to make an adapter for my cordless drill. I like that idea a lot. Since this isn't exactly string launch season I have a few months to do this.

Ryan
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:42 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,087 Posts
I really don't understand all the fuss about using the winch pedal to roll the line back onto the drum when flying is done.

Wait, maybe I do ... most people have absolutely no idea how to moderate a winch launch by tapping on the pedal, so they probably can't do so to wind the line in, either.

FWIW, I think the cordless drill is overly complicated when a little practice tapping is all that's required. But then I think everyone should be able to winch a Gentle Lady in a 20 mph wind without shredding the wing before they are allowed to purchase a moldie ... and that's not a popular position
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:13 PM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
When I was building winches, I tried to make the drums as light as possible. A very light drum on a powerful motor would really snatch the line every time the pedal was mashed. I had the winch mounted on the tailgate of my pickup, and the line would often whip under the truck and get caught on the rear axle. That's why I came up with the WinchTamer water-cooled resistor.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:29 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
I really don't understand all the fuss about using the winch pedal to roll the line back onto the drum when flying is done.
I originally started this thread because I didn't think the foot on the line method I had been using is very good. I have since read about the drill method here and that seems like a good way to eliminate extra use in the winch motor.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,831 Posts
I make sure the line is run out straight, and then I put a tire iron over it at least 10 feet from the winch. I don't try to hold the line with anything. Then I hold the switch and sit down to one side of the winch where I can press one shoe against the SIDE of the drum to slow it down at the end. (like a pad in a disc brake). This isn't so hard on the sneakers, and it keeps me mostly away from the line. Best to run most of the line in with one long pull before you start pulsing.

One time when I was home, I wound new line on the winch very slowly by using a 10 amp, 12V battery charger instead of a battery. Not scary at all, but that was a 12V wind winch. You might want to try the 6V setting. If you have a 6V battery, I'll bet it will be much more manageable to use that to wind the line in than the 12V battery! You might have to use a switch instead of the solenoid, because the solenoid might not get enough voltage to operate. Hmm..I should set my winch up so I can do that more easily.

I don't think I was there, but I saw the aftermath and heard the story of a fellow club member who was in a hurry and wanted to get rid of a bunch of used winch line. I think everyone must have stood back when he jacked up his car, cut a tire off one of the drive wheels with a BIG knife, and wound the line around the wheel using the car's engine. Turns out that tire was worn out! This was too many years ago.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:22 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post

Wait, maybe I do ... most people have absolutely no idea how to moderate a winch launch by tapping on the pedal, so they probably can't do so to wind the line in, either.

FWIW, I think the cordless drill is overly complicated when a little practice tapping is all that's required. But then I think everyone should be able to winch a Gentle Lady in a 20 mph wind without shredding the wing before they are allowed to purchase a moldie ... and that's not a popular position
Not sure that ability is RELEVANT to launching a moldie, but it's certainly a good skill to have if you want to fly other types of gliders that aren't as ridiculously strong. However, I find that kind of tapping easier than managing a powerful winch pulling in line.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,517 Posts
I will admit like TK, I was kind of taken aback that this required so much writing, my answer is a good welding glove, or even a towel. When I bring back in line I try to copy what a baitcasting reel does and just keep the line playing out evenly over the drum side to side.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:31 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
I will admit like TK, I was kind of taken aback that this required so much writing
I freely admit I am not a very smart individual and the ideas/thoughts/methods in this thread have been useful for me trying to learn a bit more. All the ideas have been good, the towel, the welding glove, the drill method, stand out of the direct line of the winch, etc.

I know what I have been doing isn't the best (aka foot on the ground stepping on the winch line) and it cuts a nice grove into the bottom of the shoe. Now I have some better ideas for next time I am able to take the winch out.

Ryan