HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:41 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,608 Posts
Yah...
I just flew my new Alula today. It's about 80% dialed in and I really like it for the close quarters flying. My buddy Diceman did some tight circles with his around me whilst I was flying mine.

I have a NIB Flow that, for some reason, I've hesitated in building. It's mostly due to my lack of overall abilities and even a bit of fear of flying inverted. Totally not the plane for me, no?

Anyhoo...baby steps. Keep on flying and abilities can only improve.

Edited: light vs heavy is huge. The lightweight Alula can tag the 5' tall Star Anise branches at our site and simply tumble to the ground unscathed.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:56 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,597 Posts
City evader, these foamies are a Great way to improve flying skills. I would get that flow built, you'll really progress once you start using the rudder. Good luck!
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,608 Posts
I'm the type that hates planes without rudder, and am quite skilled with it, but only for "regular" flying. However, my thumbs go dumb once rolling or inverted.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:10 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
I'm the type that hates planes without rudder, and am quite skilled with it, but only for "regular" flying. However, my thumbs go dumb once rolling or inverted.
There is no quick way to educate "dumb" thumbs; but the solution is easy and fun... fly more!

Practice coordinated turns upright and inverted and fly inverted as much as you can. When inverted you use "reverse" rudder to yaw the plane in the turn... the same way you use reverse elevator for pitch control. I like to fly repetitive traverses across the slope... upright and inverted to ingrain the movements into my brain. Flying away from yourself is usually easier than flying towards yourself; practice both.

Hammerhead practice is also good. Try a typical pull-up to hammerhead and then mix in some push-ups (from inverted)... or try an upright hammerhead flying directly towards yourself. It is a great brain teaser to use the correct rudder input when you are looking at the belly of the glider.

Practice slow rolls or point rolls... which force you to use some "top" rudder to keep the nose up. (While on knife edge, if the left wing tip is on "top", add left rudder.) I find it useful to talk to myself while flying, reminding me which wing tip is up... so I use the correct rudder input. On my next glider I may put a big "L" and "R" (or use Green and Red) on the wing tips. This way when I see L/Green I push left.

Practice rolling one direction and then the other. Practice flying towards yourself and away. It is fun to trying to mess yourself up by putting yourself in weird situations... just to see if you fail. I still get confused and crash; but also pull off some amazing saves. It is a great feeling to watch your (trained) reflexes pulling off stuff that you didn't have time to think about.

Dawson
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,608 Posts
Biggest problem is I can only fly twice a month, regardless of anything like weather factors.
Not much practice with that.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:14 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
There's a Le Fish model available in the "free-as-in-beer" Slope Soaring Simulator download... that's a great way to start practicing your rudder coordination

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,608 Posts
Last night's weather people were all saying today would be breezy. Not only was it 0 mph, but I'd swear there were times when it somehow seemed negative wind. Sooo, I spent this month's first flying session alternating between napping in the sun and tossing the Alula in circles. The only thing I could really "practice" was left-handed throwing (awkward).
On the other hand, it was kinda fun throwing it into the rotor side of the hill for a change of scenery.
I'll look into the sim...I've tried some before but my short attention span gets me bored fairly quickly.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:44 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Well, the great thing about SSS is it's free and it is a very good slope soaring simulation. The graphics aren't super fancy but they're definitely good enough for practicing. I've got tens if not hundreds of hours in the thing, I really like it

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member