HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:42 AM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
955 Posts
Discussion
Experts! Please critique my new fpv setup

Im currently planning a new fpv setup and here is what i plan on going with. Goals are about 5km range, clear video, PA & RTH, robust operation.

Plane: super sky surfer 2.4m (can too big be a bad thing?)
Vtx/rx: Bevrc 5.8ghz 500mw or Immersionrc 600mw, any preference?
Tx Antenna: clover leaf antenna from bevrc
Rx antenna: not sure yet. Suggestions?
Camera: 600tvl sony super HAD ccd w/2.8mm lens
Osd: nova

Display: my laptop with a composite input video capture card
Rc transmitter: my futaba 9c with a frsky module.

Future addons:
1W 1.2 ghz booster for the frsky tx module + 7db patch antenna

What do you think?
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:18 AM
Ask me about my FPV addiction
United States, MN, Wayzata
Joined May 2011
105 Posts
Looks good to me, but your going to need a circuital antenna to match your cloverleaf. also a booster is normally the worst thing you can do to get more range. Get a real LRS like a dragon link chain link etc. I don't know why you said 1.2 ghz booster for your radio because im pretty sure its still on 2.4 ghz

Cheers,
Ugrd
Ugrd is offline Find More Posts by Ugrd
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
111 Posts
Great setup only display should be on Monitor or goggles, they say pc can make video lag.
FPVAustralia is offline Find More Posts by FPVAustralia
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:52 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Cambridge
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post
Im currently planning a new fpv setup and here is what i plan on going with. Goals are about 5km range, clear video, PA & RTH, robust operation.

Plane: super sky surfer 2.4m (can too big be a bad thing?)
Vtx/rx: Bevrc 5.8ghz 500mw or Immersionrc 600mw, any preference?
Tx Antenna: clover leaf antenna from bevrc
Rx antenna: not sure yet. Suggestions?
Camera: 600tvl sony super HAD ccd w/2.8mm lens
Osd: nova

Display: my laptop with a composite input video capture card
Rc transmitter: my futaba 9c with a frsky module.

Future addons:
1W 1.2 ghz booster for the frsky tx module + 7db patch antenna

What do you think?
Vtx: go for bevrc/foxtechfpv 5.8ghz 400mw instead; if you are shopping at foxtechfpv, pickup a couple of 4V regulators (under HoryzonHD section) for DZO-V58N.
Cloverleaf from bevrc are, reportedly, crap. Invest into bluebeam or circular-wireless antennas.
Rx antenna: circular-wireless helical.
Camera: you mean PZ0420 from SC2000, correct?
Laptop for the display is a bad idea. It will run out of battery at the worst possible moment. Get goggles and DZO-V58N off ebay instead.
Get a recorder: DZO-V58N is a good one.
Get a TK102 GPS/GSM tracker -- it is only a matter of time of you loosing the plane. Make it easier to recover it.
RC receiver: get 60cm extensions for FrSky antennas.
Don't use booster, use better antennas. Get 7db FrSky patch straight away and a good biquad later (e.g., fredrich electronics, which I reviewed here).
mkuvy is offline Find More Posts by mkuvy
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Don't buy the 500mw! Go for the 200mw or 400mw.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:14 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
955 Posts
yes i meant 2.4ghz booster. Can someone elaborate why the booster is a bad idea?

Can someone recommend a good cheap display and a recording device? I was planning on using the laptop to do the recording and then a seperate display or goggles for actual flying. Ideally i would like to get the fatshark googles but will probably start off with some sort of cheap display first.

I didn't realize that the 400mW units are better than the 500mW. Can someone elaborate why please?

mkuvy, yes that is the camera i have in mind.
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuvy View Post
Cloverleaf from bevrc are, reportedly, crap. Invest into bluebeam or circular-wireless antennas.
The first batch of CP antennas were crappy indeed - too much hot glue in the middle.
Bevrc has changed the design since then.

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Cambridge
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
yes i meant 2.4ghz booster. Can someone elaborate why the booster is a bad idea?

Can someone recommend a good cheap display and a recording device? I was planning on using the laptop to do the recording and then a seperate display or goggles for actual flying. Ideally i would like to get the fatshark googles but will probably start off with some sort of cheap display first.

I didn't realize that the 400mW units are better than the 500mW. Can someone elaborate why please?

All answers to your questions are already on RCGroups. Unfortunately, RCGroups search is not the best as it spews out a lot of garbage. Try searching for "rcgroups <question>" on Google, e.g., "rcgroups 5.8ghz 400mw 500mw" and then clicking the "More results from rcgroups on google". In this instance the right thread is http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1654119

DZO-V58N that I mentioned is the good cheap display and recorder.
mkuvy is offline Find More Posts by mkuvy
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:54 PM
Suspended Account
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Nice setup you got there mate. Yeah hate when CP have too much glue.
FirstPersonView is offline Find More Posts by FirstPersonView
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:55 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:

The booster is not necessarily a bad idea.
Here is link to my topic that discusses the idea. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706509

From my research, the booster will work just fine. You might need an ubec to power the booster at 5v (depending on the booster) but with 5.8ghz video, you will probably lose the video before controls. Get the frsky patch from hk for $4 with buddycode and you might not even need it.
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
There is a good chance that any booster you get will burn out eventually. I was using a 500mw wifi booster setup powered from a ubec on my 2.4ghz radio. Last month I was getting about 2 miles range and now I'm down to about 1/2 mile when failsafe kicks in. I'm pretty sure she fizzled which is not uncommon as I understand. Luckily I got it for pretty cheap.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
There is a good chance that any booster you get will burn out eventually. I was using a 500mw wifi booster setup powered from a ubec on my 2.4ghz radio. Last month I was getting about 2 miles range and now I'm down to about 1/2 mile when failsafe kicks in. I'm pretty sure she fizzled which is not uncommon as I understand. Luckily I got it for pretty cheap.
What radio system where you using? With frsky, there is much less strain on the booster than on some other systems
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:13 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
I'm using a futaba 9c with an Assan 2.4ghz module. I was running a 3db attenuator in line before the booster.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:21 AM
Suspended Account
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Great setup, should work fine!
FirstPersonView is offline Find More Posts by FirstPersonView