HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
USA, MI, Oxford
Joined Apr 2007
71 Posts
Discussion
How to remove decals that come with H9 ARF

Hello,
I am hoping one of you Scale Guys know the secret to removing decals from the surface of an ARF??
In this case it is a Hangar 9 Giant Scale ARF and the previous owner had installed many decals that come come with the ARF - things like Brand of Radio used, Engine, etc.
I do not believe the ones I want to remove were factory installed -
I think they come in the ARF kit and the choice is up to the owner - I suspect this type comes with adhesive on the back and are NOT ?? water slide.

As always, your help is truly appreciated!

Ken
KenCz is offline Find More Posts by KenCz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:58 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
977 Posts
Your correct, they are probably not water slide decals, They are contact adhesive appliques. They can be removed, but it takes a practiced hand with a heat gun to soften the glue on these "decals" enough to get a knife tip under a corner to begin to peel it without melting the covering its stuck to.

If they are water slide decals, they are usually lacquer based and they can be dissolved with lacquer thinner, MEK, or acetone.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:18 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,363 Posts
I'm work at a print shop, here's my best advice.

1. soak it with rubbing alcohol, this should soften the adhesive enough to get a corner up on it.

2. try to peel the graphic up slowly. Heat can be your friend, but it can also cause the graphic to leave adhesive on the covering. A perfect 90 angle while pulling on the graphic usually leaves the least amount of adhesive, but you have to pull gently and be patient. A few extra minutes in this step can save hours in cleanup.

3. Apply adhesive remover. Anything that uses orange oil works great. Smells like you just snorted a line of tang, but it works.

4. hit the covering with a covering iron. in the process of pulling you may have pulled some covering off the wood.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:50 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I have found adhesive always remains onthe covering... use goop or somethng similar to adhesive removal to get it off. I have picked up the corner with my exacto and started pulling back 180 degrees to remove the sticker.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
USA, MI, Oxford
Joined Apr 2007
71 Posts
Thanks to all for the great tips and ideas! Now I start and hope for the best!
KenCz is offline Find More Posts by KenCz
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:53 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
I have found adhesive always remains onthe covering... use goop or somethng similar to adhesive removal to get it off. I have picked up the corner with my exacto and started pulling back 180 degrees to remove the sticker.
I agree-pulling the decal back over itself as closely as possible avoids the 'lift' of the covering,and that 180 deg. reverse turn seems to help "roll" the adhesive back......but man,do it sloooowwwwly.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:48 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I agree-pulling the decal back over itself as closely as possible avoids the 'lift' of the covering,and that 180 deg. reverse turn seems to help "roll" the adhesive back......but man,do it sloooowwwwly.
takes time. Especially on the side of a McDonalds playplace.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,122 Posts
Sounds like the Wookster KNOWS! lol
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,579 Posts
soaking with MEK works a treat too!
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:35 AM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
I usually use a hair dryer because I don't have to worry too much about screwing up the Ultracote that Hanger 9 planes use for their covering. Once I get the old stickers warmed up I get a edge of the sticker worked up with my finger nail, then try to grab it with 2 fingers on the same hand and pull or peel the sticker off.

If you have some glue residue left behind by the sticker, use a little Zippo or Ronsonol Lighter Fluid on a old clean rag and wipe the excess off. If you don't have lighter fluid, put a little acetone on the rag and it will work just as good.

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
No foto available
joyanan is offline Find More Posts by joyanan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)