HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:36 AM
Joined Feb 2006
954 Posts
Discussion
Hawker Hunter: Slope?

I have recently been given a Hawker Hunter Kit(?). It is a very well detailed Foamie, around 900mm. span and designed for EDF. As far as I can see, when fitted out with under-carriage retracts (included) ailerons, flaps, EDf, rudder, elevator and suitable Lipo, it will have a wing loading akin to a lead-coated brick. As we dont have a half-mile asphalt runway, it occurs to me that it could, without u/carriage/retracts/EDF and super-Lipo, weigh in at around 950 grs. At this weight, with quite a good wing area, it looks like it could be fun on the slope, with suitable garish colour flashing of some sort to make it visible.

Has anywone tried one of these Chinese wonder Hunters as a slopie?

Cheers, all
doddlepots is offline Find More Posts by doddlepots
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:44 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,311 Posts
No but the Flair Hunter used to slope reasonably well (well....better than their Lightning ). As to colour schemes point Google at the 'Empire Test Pilots School' they used to have a Hunter in a quite suitable colour scheme.

Or, look at the problem another way; it didn't cost you much so what do you have lose?

S
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:13 AM
Great Orme
Joined Aug 2003
393 Posts
The Lander Hunter flies well off the slope, I have also seen a foamy EDF F15 and Panther flown as PSS machines. Photos can be seen in this PSSA gallery after a meeting on the Orme
http://philjcooke.jalbum.net/Great%2...011 055MOD.jpg
Conwy-Soarer is offline Find More Posts by Conwy-Soarer
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Feb 2006
954 Posts
After seeing your remarkable colection of photos, I can clearly see:
a) That my Hunter came out of the same moulds as that illustrated. Unfortunately it is covered with a camuflage colour scheme over which I cannot see me paitning as the paint comes off even with masking tape. I have limited my efforts, so far, to putting on some bright yellow trainer/invasion stripes.

b) Foget the Hunter, I want the Vulcan!!!
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:04 AM
Great Orme
Joined Aug 2003
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doddlepots View Post
After seeing your remarkable colection of photos, I can clearly see:
a) That my Hunter came out of the same moulds as that illustrated. Unfortunately it is covered with a camuflage colour scheme over which I cannot see me paitning as the paint comes off even with masking tape. I have limited my efforts, so far, to putting on some bright yellow trainer/invasion stripes.

b) Foget the Hunter, I want the Vulcan!!!
Wish I could take credit for the pics - they are the work of Phil Cooke of the PSSA, they organise a couple of fly-ins on my local slope each year.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Feb 2006
954 Posts
When is your next "fly-in"? I have a brother down in the South West (Cardigan) and maybe he would like to come along to watch. He loves all things that fly (had a PPL since he was 17) and I have been trying to get him into sloping for years now!

Also, could you put me in contact with the Hunter builder (re-builder?) as I have some questions I would like to put to him?

Thanks and, again, congratulations on some fine model aircraft and splendid photos.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:23 PM
Great Orme
Joined Aug 2003
393 Posts
Quote:
When is your next "fly-in"? I have a brother down in the South West (Cardigan) and maybe he would like to come along to watch. He loves all things that fly (had a PPL since he was 17) and I have been trying to get him into sloping for years now!

Also, could you put me in contact with the Hunter builder (re-builder?) as I have some questions I would like to put to him?

Thanks and, again, congratulations on some fine model aircraft and splendid photos.
The guys name is Matt Jones he is also the builder of that awesome Vulcan - the pics don't really do it justice you should see it in the flesh!!

Take a look at the web link below I am sure that if you email them they would be able to put you in touch.

http://www.pssaonline.co.uk/events-r...May%202011.htm
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:19 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,186 Posts
Quote:

http://www.pssaonline.co.uk/main-pag...a%20events.htm
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:42 PM
Joined Feb 2006
954 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. I will try to contact Matt Jones, as I don't want to bore you all with my dumb questions..... like: "Why does it fly without an engine?"

Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:49 AM
Joined Feb 2006
954 Posts
I can't seem to get hold of Matt Jones, so I will ask my silly questions right here:
- As a PSS model, where did you place the c.g.: A) for maiden? B) Subsequently?

- What elevator compensation do you find works well with flaps? I have a very small l.z. and feel that the flaps could be useful.

- Have you tried CROW?

- What substitute nose cone did you use? I am assuming yours came with a pathetic, 0,2mm. thick, plastic cone, as mine did. I have turned a nose out of pine and "ovalled" it and laquered. Any better ideas?
Last edited by doddlepots; Aug 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Second thoughts