HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:26 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,986 Posts
Discussion
FS4 Build Thread!

Yah Baby! In Germany now for The German Open F3F Championships..... and at the same time picking up David Klein's FS4's and mine. Here are some pix of DK's Styler.... it is sick! What a model! DK and I will be giving updates and the scoop on the newest Herrig Design. Stay Tuned.....

If you want one..... and you will.... you better get on the list ASAP with F3X because they are going to be really hard to get.... I hear F3X should have some coming in July.....but not sure.

AH tells me it's ALL new; Airfoil, Fuse, Plan Form, ect. The Austrians are killing it with their FS4's!!!!!

I have also been told that for F3B launching the tension is so big you need to run 1 size bigger line diameter than the FS3 or you break the line! Wow! Hard to believe.

Also the FS4 now holds 20% more ballast..... oh joy!

Pix: Kyler SO wishes this model was his. But if he is nice to me....his daddy... I will let him fly mine.

Kyle
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Last edited by Kyle Paulson; Apr 08, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:30 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,482 Posts
awwweeeesome!
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Apr 09, 2011, 04:26 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,428 Posts
SA-WEET!! Can't wait to see them in person
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:09 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,304 Posts
I wonder what servos the wings are setup to take?

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:39 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,412 Posts
If it's the same as the FS3 RDS, the JR DS378. They will also work with Atx 94761s (same shaft/spline pattern) with the addition of a couple wood blocks to support the side tabs and mounting screws.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:47 PM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,187 Posts
761's out put shafts are not quite the same.
The Team Airtronics guy used a bit of epoxy to adapt the 761's to the nylon drive shaft. Also cut away the mounting bracket. The assumption is they used the same rds units which are designed for the ds378's...

The line at F3X forms behind me...
Hey Watson are you in the same que?

Alan
Terminator is offline Find More Posts by Terminator
Last edited by Terminator; Apr 09, 2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: "o"
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:36 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,304 Posts
There are likely options from the manufacturer, since I think they use the Ober RDS units?
I know that the Ober setups fit a few different servos.
http://www.oberflugmodellbau.de/4.html
R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:28 PM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,187 Posts
Ober is top shelf in the quality department for sure.
I do not think the rds in my stylers is the Ober rds System.
The assumption is they choose Graupner/JR for a more universal appeal.
Noisy buggers....

Alan
Terminator is offline Find More Posts by Terminator
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:05 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,482 Posts
this is the RDS
http://www.formenzauber.de/

I find it a bit sloppy in my fs3. not that impressed to be honest. More slop than a normal linkage.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
9 Posts
Dear Satinet

In fact it`s not an issue regarding the RDS System... the RDS system of mine works perfectly.(please ask Kyle for an comment about the Energija s ...) we had the same discussion on gator F3b in february.

Itīs just an issue regarding the pockets in the flap. TUD is always optimising it. you are alsways caught in between friction of the RDS and the "play" you want to allow.

Sven
Sven Hollenbeck is offline Find More Posts by Sven Hollenbeck
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:14 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,482 Posts
I don't know how much play is normal. I am surprised by the amount in the fs3. If it was a normal model I would be worried it would flutter itself to pieces, to be honest.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,986 Posts
Not to worry about the "play" in the RDS. There is a bit but it's not a problem. I do like tight but apparently TUD feels that some play is much better than double centering because of friction.

It seems that they keep making it better because all the newest FS4's I touched overseas in Germany were perfect, (a tiny bit of play but rock solid). I'm sure as RDS evolves it will keep improving to.

If the best in the world are winning with the system it MUST be working quite well.... right?

Oh man I can't wait to be flying my new FS4. I have started the build process and will give updates. Don't expect perfect pix and detailed description of the build process from me. Sorry.... I'm not "that" guy.

But I will let you all know how the build is going.

Mostly I wanted to let folks know how it is flying and how it compares to the FS3. I already have opinion on this by watching the FS4's go in Germany but I would rather experience it myself before I put my observations here in this thread.

Maybe DK will do some pix during his build..... yes/no? DK are you there?
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:44 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
Yes, Kyle and I had this exact discussion with Sven at the Gator 6 weeks ago. He uses the same hardware in his Energia. The "euro style" Rds systems are an over defined mechanical system. They are very stiff, but they bind as they deflect. There needs to be a certain amount of clearance built in to the pocket to accomodate this. The amount of play is a builders prefference, trading slop in he system against current draw
and linkage resistance near large flap deflections.

I pick up my FS4s from Kyle on Saturday. He informed me that it seems like the RDS pockets are a bit tighter on them than his last RDS FS3.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:08 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
Yes Kyle, I'll take plenty of pictures. I have my battery packs built/modified, switches and servos on hand, and servo frames ready to modify. I'll take pictures and post as I go, starting with empty part weights and overall impressions. I'll pick up my planes on Saturday and get started right away. First launch will be the following Saturday.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:12 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
Can't wait to see it go

Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins