Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:52 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,612 Posts
Discussion
MOunting EDF units that lack the mounting lugs

I just acquired a pair of 55mm fan units from eBay and am looking at mounint at least one of them in a model. Or at least a test rig.

What's the best method of mounting it? I'm assuming that you should have two bulkheads to give good support and glue surface.

Also, the unit has an integral bell mouth. Is it worthwhile grinding it off or just run the ducting down into the bell to minimize flow losses?
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:54 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,294 Posts
Curiously, I have a similar situation in my WBK A4 Skyhawk proto. I used the Wattage shroud. On one shroud I cut the "bell" off and the shroud went out of round and was very weak. So, I used it stock. And ran the intakes right up to it. It does not lack in performance. It originally used a cut down KY rotor to good performance on a Mega /3 and 4s. It's even faster on an old cut minifan rotor.

The fuselage seperates at the fan's bell mouth. The fan siliconed to the rear fuse bulkhead. The secound proto uses the WeMo 505 and K&A glass shroud. I added a muli layer 1/64 ply ring around the shroud. It is mounted to the forward fuse, tacked in place and the rear fuse bulkhead has tabs the push it against the forward fuselage.

You could add mounting tabs. To do this use 3/32- 1/8" ply and mount with rubberized CA from Bob Smith. NO KICKER. It makes the CA brittle. Rough up the shroud where attaching.

Hope I helped

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin