SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 15, 2006, 09:24 PM
The lift is out there....
United States, WA, Reardan
Joined Jan 2005
522 Posts
Yippee!
Absolutly amazing day!

Today was just beautiful. Wind was in an abnormal direction so I decided to try a slope that I have been waiting for the wind to be just right. Nice steady, light slermally flying that was smooth as silk. I had my Spinner XT up for about 35 minutes, at least 20 minutes straight on one flight. At one point in time I was joined by a flock of about 20 ravens, vultures and one Golden Eagle all flying together down the ridge. They stopped for a minute to check me out then continued on there way. And me without my camera! Then I got the Bee out thinking the lift was too light and it tore up the slope. I even managed to get in a few DS loops (I think I'm getting the hang of it, actual loops this time!) Very cool. What a great day!
barefootbass is offline Find More Posts by barefootbass
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2006, 10:35 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Cool!

Why the heck was I inside most of the day working on a video? Plumb nuts, I guess. When I finally left the house this evening, it seemed to be doing nuthin'. So I went for a mtn bike ride instead of flying. I rode some new sharp ridges that would be potential flying sites, and the wind was nice and steady and sweet. If I'd a brought a plane, I'd have been flying. But I wouldn't have gotten near as much exercise. I guess it pays to diversify. But honestly, I'm not as obsessed with riding as I am with flying.
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old May 16, 2006, 01:41 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Holy crap! Can you say ds?

Wow.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old May 16, 2006, 01:26 PM
Joined Jan 2005
522 Posts
Hey, gimme a break. They were my first actual loops, not just in and outs!
Old May 16, 2006, 01:39 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
That comment was directed at lavawing's first pic. Looks like a hell of a ds hill. Were you flying at that site?

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old May 16, 2006, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2005
522 Posts
He finds places like that all over the place. Naw, mine ain't that cool but it worked. Kinda ratty but hey at least I made it around. I'll post pics. Neat spot, kind of in our mountain biking hot spot so I had a great cheering section.
Old May 17, 2006, 09:43 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
Sometimes with a bunch of practise and some scientific hunting around you can make a seeminglyimpossible DS site crank pretty good. Obviouly, the first step is to fly accurately with plenty of energy/speed so the wing is going EXACTLY where you want it, on the exact course you have planned, generally darn low on a smooth eliptical pattern accross the backside. If your flying between the bushes you'll likely be safely below the shear if there is one at all !
Walking around the back side to find the calm areas and exiting in different locations with your wing will help you find SWEET SPOTS where you can really get that extra burst of energy. Once you've mapped the sweet spots enter and exit the groove there and try going in BOTH directions, clockwise and counter clockwise. I found that sometimes I can even make a crappy groove work if I enter it through the less defined/crappy shear zone and then exit where the shear is more defined and that's where most of the energy is gained.
Be pacient and DEVELOP/USE YOUR INSTICTS. If you feel wind on the backside it's likely a ROUGH groove or worse. Listen for the grass moving behind you and if you hear it bail or fly more conservatively. I know it sounds corny but after DSing ALOT in poor areas I have strong instincts and they do serve me well. Sometime I'll know just the moments the groove is good, zip in there and blast some turns and then bail as the shear breaks down! Sometimes I get POUNDED ANYWAY but I've noticed vast improvement! Last, poor grooves generally only work in weaker winds,5-20MPH. Turbulence increases exponentially with wind speed so a bit of a rowdy groove in 10 MPH wind = death at 20 MPH winds if other factors remain constant!
Use the force and you'll be amazed at how much power you can get!
www.Predatorwings.com
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old May 17, 2006, 11:30 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor22
That comment was directed at lavawing's first pic. Looks like a hell of a ds hill. Were you flying at that site?

--Alex
BFB is right. There are about 1,000,000 sites like that in my neighborhood. I may exaggerate (slightly) about that, but I do not exaggerate about this: With my DS skill and planes, it is surprising to me how often a seemingly impressive ridge like that does NOT work up a smooth groove.

My favorite and most consistent ridgeline, which I've dramatically named The Scythe, is not just a razor-topped ridge, but is also fed by a deep curved bowl, and protected -- on one end especially -- by thicker section of hill. Looks something like of like an hourglass if you'd look straight down on it.

Notice that the infamous Parker is not just a ridge, but a ridge between two large hills.

The semi-straight and/or humpy ridges seem to suffer from turbulence issues. And as the wind goes up, they suffer worse, which seems a little backwards. Certainly might be related to my lighter planes and their inability to "go deep". I'll keep experimenting. And if anyone wants to come out and help experiment, you're more than welcome.

I hear KOTH is heading Colorado way this summer...
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old May 18, 2006, 09:31 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
Lava-
Try entering and exiting at steep high points. That's worked best for us here on the Front Range. Ian uses a giant fishing pole with a streamer to actually find the sear layer over the dark side and it has been VERY revealing! Last, unless you have a perfect setup, ie Parker, the turbulence will be higher with stronger winds as I mentioned above.
A bunch of thermic activity, like in the middle of the day in the desert really alters a groove's character from moment to moment. Powerful when the huge thermal is there and gone when the thermal leaves. A grove with NO thermic activity, just smooth wind/lift is best and generally found during the evening when there is wide spread lift.
The last HUGE factor is differencial heating. A ridge with a front side facing SW is the best during the evening hours. That face will really heat up during the evening, facing right into the sun, and create smooth consistant lift, called a glass off or lapse. The real bounus during this event is that the DARK SIDE, figuatively and literally, is in shadows and quite cool with a relatively cool heavy pool of stable air resting there. This cool pocket of air does not want to mix with the warm air rising over the front side. Presto, one very clean, distinct shear layer forms for some RIPPEN DS ACTION!
The video of my Predator Bat was shot when this kind of event was occuring and I was getting HUGE speeds, unfortunetly when the camera came out the groove got weaker, as usual, but was still pretty good! To see the video go to www.predatorwings.com then to the Predator Bat Page and click "see the action". The fastest passes at the end of the video were really taken first when the Groove was REALLY PUMPING!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator