HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2013, 10:11 AM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Idea
Glow to Gas in Helicopters 90 sizr

Has anyone out there installed an Evolution 20cc Gas engine in the 90 size or 700 TREX yet. I am on my way to buy a Evolution 20cc Gas engine to install in one of my TREX700 DFC Helicopters today. Anyone with any feedback please help. I see a savings of a lot of money in Glow fuel. 3X's longer flight times switching to gas, and it bolts right in place of my O.S., and YS, and Nova Rossi engines. It bolts right in with no modification to any of my frames, Unleaded fuel $3.20 a gallon. 30% nitro $30.00 a gallon. I am doing the math, and it is not looking good for the glow fuel anymore. Output is the same, or better in some cases. Please take the time to give me your feedback.
Kindest Regards,
Scatcatt
Scatcatt is offline Find More Posts by Scatcatt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2013, 11:38 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,757 Posts
If you bolt a 20 cc gas engine in place of a 15 cc glow engine, yes, likely you have about the same output.

You also have a lot more heat generation combined with an engine that is probably not suitable for fitting a heat sink, and usually a lot more critical needle settings.
The used carburettors are designed for airplane use, not helicopter use.

This is a 17 cc NGH engine in an originally .60 size heli, and the running behaviour of this engine is in my opinion not really convincing.

00056 (1 min 40 sec)

00057 (1 min 29 sec)

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old May 30, 2013, 12:57 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
919 Posts
sounds small. The most common engines in 700 gassers are based on Zenoah 270's and 290's. I have a stock Zenoah 290 in my T700 and it bogs on flips. I am sending it to get modified soon.

These two places sell modified Zenoah engines
http://www.bhhanson.com/aircraft_helicopter.htm
http://www.toxicmarine.com/html/vx-2...c_stage_1.html

but you probably need a conversion kit (like helibug) to use these engines.
Look at the setups sticky here to see what engines Gasser folks are using.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=525918

Don't forget to change you fuel tubing.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old May 30, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
If the Evolution engine does not produce its' power at the same RPM (or at least close to it), then you will need to change the gear ratio in order to get proper performance from it.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old May 30, 2013, 01:20 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
If the Evolution engine does not produce its' power at the same RPM (or at least close to it), then you will need to change the gear ratio in order to get proper performance from it.
Thats a good point. The Nitro's are setup for higher RPM. When you get a conversion kit they include a pinion that works with the suggested motors. I still think based on what I see, a 20cc is way too small for a 700 even with the right gear ratio.

My T700 conversion is OK but if you want a high performance gasser, get a Whiplash gasser with a BH hanson 290 or 270 3D Max or the Toxicmarine VX270TT. Both are based on the Zenoah G290RC or G270RC engines.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:04 AM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatcatt View Post
Has anyone out there installed an Evolution 20cc Gas engine in the 90 size or 700 TREX yet. I am on my way to buy a Evolution 20cc Gas engine to install in one of my TREX700 DFC Helicopters today. Anyone with any feedback please help. I see a savings of a lot of money in Glow fuel. 3X's longer flight times switching to gas, and it bolts right in place of my O.S., and YS, and Nova Rossi engines. It bolts right in with no modification to any of my frames, Unleaded fuel $3.20 a gallon. 30% nitro $30.00 a gallon. I am doing the math, and it is not looking good for the glow fuel anymore. Output is the same, or better in some cases. Please take the time to give me your feedback.
Kindest Regards,
Scatcatt
Have you got started on this yet? I would love to get one of these to work in a helicopter. Take pictures and keep us posted.
Jimmy
mac2286 is offline Find More Posts by mac2286
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
If you want a hot gasser heli, one with a solid clutch system that can take the large torque/power of a hot gasoline engine, that has the proper gearing to match gasoline engine rpms, that has a higher capacity cooling system to keep a gasoline engine properly cooled and that has an FBL head that is designed to take the extra weight etc, then I would sell the T700 DFC and use the money from it, along with the money you were going to spend on the Evolution engine and get a combo like the one in this video.

Radikal G30 v.2 with HWC/Zenoah G29e Extreme Pro (4 min 47 sec)
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
Another option, if you want to keep your T700 DFC is to get the HWC conversion for it, that has the appropriate clutch system, gearing and cooling system for use with G23.26/27/29 engines....all from the Radikal G-30 in the above video.

HWC Trex 700 Gasser-TRM 231VX at 2050 RPM.mpg (1 min 44 sec)
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:00 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
148 Posts
I have a helibug frenzy 90 gas conversion. I love it. If one of these evolution gas engines can be made to work in a regular helicopter with out an expensive conversion kit. I would put one in every one of my helicopters. Like a lot of flyers, I'm not into 3d just sport flying and these engines have enough power for that, If they can be kept cool. I hope the OP can make it work. I want to put the 10cc in a 30 size helicopter.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Dec 2007
842 Posts
As others have mentioned, the biggest problem, even for the general sport flyer, will be the gear ratio needed and the possibity of the stock clutch systems slipping, as the force of the clutch shoes against the clutch liner in the clutch bell, may well be too little, at the low rpm of these evolution gasoline engines.

These are two areas that are addressed in my HWC conversions and in any of the helis that have been specifically designed for gasoline operations.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:48 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
148 Posts
Scatcatt
Did you get the engine? Have you started on the installation? Any updates?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:45 PM
Houston, TX USA
Joined Nov 2000
520 Posts
Hello, I have a whiplash Gasser, It's a 700 class helicopter.

The Evolution 20cc engine at best is going to be underpowered in a 700 class helicopter. That said if everything is right it will hover and get the helicopter in to forward flight.

However to get to that point you will have to mod the frames, the engine mount, the clutch and clutch bell. Then you have to worry about gearing.

Helibug makes a conversion kit for the Trex 700 and I would start there. Then I would run a 231 engine if you are looking for low cost, other wise get a modded 270.
Rudy Ackerman is offline Find More Posts by Rudy Ackerman
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:57 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
148 Posts
Scatcatt, how is the conversion coming?