HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:57 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,761 Posts
Question
Heli question

Took a Blade SR in trade a while back. Worked ok until I had a small tip over. Ever since it wants to spin the tail counter clockwise at high speed while still on the ground. I adjusted the ball links until the blades are tracking well together and at the pitch specified in the manual. However, no real effect. Next I played with the gyro gain. When it's down as far as it will go the spinning is not as bad but if you try to correct for it and get the tail motor to kick in it immediately goes to full speed (ie: tail motor does). Crazy.

So, those knowledgeable about helis, does this sound like the gyro has gone bad? Is that common? Seems odd in that it never had a hard crash.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:59 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,813 Posts
ugh. blade SR not the best heli around, its kinda a upgraded Blade Cp the gyro is not great. Something does not sound right at all. you adjusting the gyro from radio or on the gyro itself? or the mix on the bottom of the heli? what radio you using stock or?
I used to have one for about 2 weeks mine flew surprisingly pretty good but i traded it for a mcpx. much better 3d heli
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:28 AM
Braselton Ga
Joined Apr 2009
505 Posts
I have an extra gyro if you want to try it.
LannyT2 is offline Find More Posts by LannyT2
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:19 AM
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2004
856 Posts
I would bet it's the tail motor. Brushed motors can go bad very easily. I used to have a Blade CP and hated trying to tune the rear motor all the time. If you have the money, definitely go with a heli with a tail that is driven by the main rotor either by belt or torque tube.

-Chris
Khosravi is offline Find More Posts by Khosravi
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:33 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,761 Posts
So, it's the RTF kit with included radio. As said, took it on trade at a deal that was so good I could not refuse (even though it's a SR). In other words, just the receiver alone out of it made it worth pretty much worth it. I'd like though to get it working and sell the thing off for $70 or whatever I can get out of it.

I made sure the switches on the transmitter match the manual so everything is good there. I was doing adjustments on the gyro itself. I'd like to try your gyro Lanny as that seems to be the screwy part. I guess it could be the esc though as it's not just an esc but also a mixer on the SR. Kinda strange, not sure how normal heli is set up for this function. I doubt it's the motor as it works and I don't know of a failure mechanism where motors can only be all or nothing as it's doing now since they just follow the control (voltage) inputs.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:43 AM
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
Joined Jul 2004
856 Posts
Do this test:
Spin up the heli to about 30-40% power and move the rudder stick. Do you have rudder/yaw control?

-Chris
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:34 AM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
Joined May 2010
629 Posts
Did you replace tail blades? Is so, they could be flipped on the wrong side which on an SR makes a huge difference. There really are two sides to the tail blades. One shiny, the other Matte finish. The tail motors are very prone to cooking too. When I had one it went through 4-5. It's brushed and I hear it's the same one used in some electric beard trimmers. Probably not gyro or gain... Listen to the tail motor ...
TossinHoss is offline Find More Posts by TossinHoss
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:35 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnast View Post
Do this test:
Spin up the heli to about 30-40% power and move the rudder stick. Do you have rudder/yaw control?

-Chris
Not really. What happens is it will start spinning counterclockwise (the heli) and then if you get anything from the rudder it's the tail motor going full blast. In other words, tail motor seems to be all or nothing and is affected by the gyro gain setting. Kinda makes me think the gyro is hosed.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:43 AM
Braselton Ga
Joined Apr 2009
505 Posts
On my CP pro I switched the wires to the tail motor by misstake and it did that.
LannyT2 is offline Find More Posts by LannyT2
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:48 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyT2 View Post
On my CP pro I switched the wires to the tail motor by misstake and it did that.
Have not switched the wires or the blades on the motor. Looks like it's a $7 part so might be worth a try just swapping it out though.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:44 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,761 Posts
Now I'm getting curious. On a "normal" flybarred electric heli what is the equivalent of this?

http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...-653p14086.htm

You normally have a normal ESC right, and a tail gyro. What else?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:52 PM
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
Joined Jul 2004
856 Posts
Everything is separate in a tradtional heli. You'll have 3 cyclic servos, 1 tail servo, a gyro, motor/esc/battery/receiver.

-Chris
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:57 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnast View Post
Everything is separate in a tradtional heli. You'll have 3 cyclic servos, 1 tail servo, a gyro, motor/esc/battery/receiver.

-Chris
Ok, then mixing is performed by the radio. Starting to remember now. I found a podcast that explained it at one point. Probably should go listen to it again.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:00 PM
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
Joined Jul 2004
856 Posts
Correct. The radio does the mixing for you (unless you have a strictly airplane radio without heli programming). Most swash plates are 120 degree CCPM which all newer radios do automatically. If you have an airplane only radio I can help you program it manually.

-Chris
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:46 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,761 Posts
Talked to Horizon. This crazy heli actually controls the tail by pulsing the tail motor at full blast on/off. Hence, what's really happening is it's sticking "on". Played with both gyro and the 2 in 1 pot adjuster. No luck. Hence, either the gyro or the 2 in 1 is bad. I'd like to test with your gyro Lanny before I decide what to do. Not sure this thing is worth spending $40 for a 2 in 1.