1,881 Posts
I like that idea! Particularly as I have both 0.4 and 0.8mm ply in stock
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:02 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
562 Posts
There is no difference in the dimensions between original glow version of Aquabird and the electric version. Both versions had all balsa fuselage and the foam wing. All flying weight of my electric model is 6Lbs-10oz.
I am little bit in dark as far as the construction of the balsa wing published in the RCMW. I haven seen the plans so it is little bit hard to advice.
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:27 PM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
I thought that might appeal to the engineer in you
pentaxman is offline Find More Posts by pentaxman
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADDIE View Post
I am little bit in dark as far as the construction of the balsa wing published in the RCMW. I haven seen the plans so it is little bit hard to advice.
My immediate reaction when seeing the plan for the wing was that it had been drawn specifically to show a built-up option, but probably nobody had ever built it. Funnily enough, I'm quite reassured to hear that you had nothing to do with it - I'm no longer worried that I will be turning my back on years of design experience by going my own way!

By way of illustration, here are a couple of photos of the central wing joint. To me it looks like somebody has just drawn in two dihedral braces, then put a note on to say fill the gaps with scrap. Not really what I would call a design.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,881 Posts
Having cut out five rib pairs (20 rib halves), I felt the need for a break and also wanted to check that my rib/spar concept would actually go together.

When I offered up the first rib half, it looked alarmingly skinny. However, the ribs are pretty closely spaced so, once the rear sub spar is in place supporting the aft portions of the ribs, I think it will be strong enough.

Whichever way you come at this wing though, it seems that every joint and notch has to be cut at an angle so it's not something to be rushed.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:16 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
562 Posts
Looking at the drawing, solution shown for joining two halves will work just fine. Probably, you can omit D2 plywood brace and the balsa fill in the back. On top of that, when both halves of the wing are joined, between ribs R3, cover top and bottom of the sheeting with the fibreglass.
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,881 Posts
Thanks Laddie, the option of glassing the central joint is a good one to bear in mind as I contemplate the options.

Meanwhile, the first week's work is summarised by one photo. Next step will be a dry assembly to see if everything lines up and to sort out the rear spar detail.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:29 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,600 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder if there is a laser-cut set?
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,434 Posts
Well Mike, I know Traplet's intention is to offer laser cut sets for all the plans they offer eventually, but it seems to be quite a long way off fulfillment just now!

I suspect that since even those that are on CAD haven't been set up yet, paper drawn plan types are just a dream.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,881 Posts
Whilst cutting ribs is certainly not my favourite part of the build process, this set wasn't particularly onerous, certainly compared to something like the Rapide. As a matter of interest, how do laser cut sets cope with the sweep in the spars etc., which mean that all of the rib and spar notches have to be cut at an angle? Presumably the notches would have to be cut on the narrow side, leaving the user to file an angle onto the edges?

Anyway, I have re-arranged my kit of parts into a more three dimensional layout. Next step is to sort out the rear subspars, decide on the aileron servo mountings etc. Then I think it's decision time on that central joint before the glueing starts.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:03 PM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
Looking good so far.
What gives with the back to front pegs on the outer ribs?
pentaxman is offline Find More Posts by pentaxman
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:31 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxman View Post
Looking good so far.
What gives with the back to front pegs on the outer ribs?
I remember seeing that tip in one of the magazines, ages ago. It gives you better grip, with less chance of damaging the balsa.

Is there a prize?
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:56 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,464 Posts
cool looking plane.
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:43 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,881 Posts
I hit on the idea of reversing the pegs years ago (did you steal it for the magazine, Mike?!). The tapered end makes them much more versatile but, as you see, I do keep some in the original configuration as well.

(Translation note for transatlantic readers:- Peg = Clothes Peg = Clothes Pin.)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:03 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,881 Posts
Once more, with glue!

After sorting out a likely servo mounting arrangement whilst the glue was drying on my laminated spar joiner, it was time to start glueing some bits together at last.

Because I can't fit the R2 ribs until the dihedral brace is glued in place, I've had to leave the spar caps off for the moment. I'm now trying to get as much done as possible to the two panels before joining them together, after which I fear things are going to get rather unwieldy.